Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$3250 Super Computer Build Help

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 21, 2011 7:13:32 AM

Hey guys! I am looking to build a new system for some 3D Design/Animation and Graphic Design with mediocre gaming on the side (Diablo 3, League of Legends, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, etc). My budget is fairly high so I know I can build a pretty beast computer. There is where I run into my first problem. Since I have never built a computer of this price tag before I am afraid I am a bit in over my head with the available options. So I come to you guys with what I know I want to get and hope you guys can help me fill in the blanks. Thanks in advance

CPU: i7 3690x
Mobo: No Clue
Ram: No Clue, I like corsair and g.skill (I understand to get the full potential it will need to be tweaked in the BIOS but I have never done this. I also heard the i7 can only use 1333 anything else will be downgraded?)
PSU: No Clue, something around 1000w as I plan to get Dual GPU either now or in the future
GPU: No Preference between nVidia and ATI I just want whats best

As you can see I am pretty lost with all the new upgrades and fancy doo-hickies hanging off the motherboards these days :pt1cable: 
November 21, 2011 7:33:01 AM

First of all ... the 1333MHz limitation is on the standard Sandy Bridge. Sandy Bridge E can handle up to 2100MHz I think (or just 1866MHz) so I suggest that you go all out on 4 high end RAM sticks from either Corsair, Patriot, or GSkill.

Motherboard ... I personally like the GIGABYTE boards at the moment as they have excellent Sandy Bridge offerings. Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128533 would be brilliant for a HUGE gaming system, or the UD3 version is a but more compact (ATX rather than E-ATX, and a bit cheaper)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128532

GPUs ... The BEST option is to get SLIed GTX 580s. If you are not going to go all out with gaming this is possibly not 100% necessary so unless you want high end, multiple screen 3D gaming then 1 GTX 580 is more than enough. This will also leave some money spare for an upgrade to NVidia GTX600 series or AMD 7000 series next year. IE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125364

CPU ... I personally recommend the lower spec Sandy Bridge -E. This will save a LOT of money while really not sacrificing too much performance. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492

PSU ... Make sure you buy a quality PSU. Something like the Corsair AX series, Seasonic X series or XFX PSUs should be good for this system. 1000W would be nice but a quality 850W would probably still cover the needs.

m
0
l
November 21, 2011 7:49:29 AM

What would be the performance loss by downgrading to the 3930k?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 21, 2011 4:00:06 PM

rmnesbitt said:
Hey guys! I am looking to build a new system for some 3D Design/Animation and Graphic Design with mediocre gaming on the side (Diablo 3, League of Legends, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, etc). My budget is fairly high so I know I can build a pretty beast computer. There is where I run into my first problem. Since I have never built a computer of this price tag before I am afraid I am a bit in over my head with the available options. So I come to you guys with what I know I want to get and hope you guys can help me fill in the blanks. Thanks in advance

CPU: i7 3690x
Mobo: No Clue
Ram: No Clue, I like corsair and g.skill (I understand to get the full potential it will need to be tweaked in the BIOS but I have never done this. I also heard the i7 can only use 1333 anything else will be downgraded?)
PSU: No Clue, something around 1000w as I plan to get Dual GPU either now or in the future
GPU: No Preference between nVidia and ATI I just want whats best

As you can see I am pretty lost with all the new upgrades and fancy doo-hickies hanging off the motherboards these days :pt1cable: 



My suggestions as to how to blow your money:

Intel i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E $599.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Asus Sabertooth Mobo $339.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
G.SKILL Ripjaw Z Series (4x4GB) $84.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cooler Master HAF X $179.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair H80 $93.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair HX1050 PSU $219.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD $359.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB HDD $199.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
3x Asus 23" Monitors $509.97 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2x MSi R6970 GPU $779.98 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $3,368.87

Description:
- A very minimal overclock (~5%) of the CPU would get the same performance as higher end $1000 CPU and save you the $400.
- The SSD would be used for the OS and essential programs for faster bootup and load times while media and large files would be stored on the HDD
- The 3x 23" monitors would be places on their sides to provide a single effective 36"x23" monitor (~43" diagonal) for games. They could also be used as a standard multiple monitor setup for animations purposes.
- The three monitors would warrant a powerful EyeFinity setup via Radeon hence the Crossfire system.
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 4:26:41 PM

This is a nice build, thanks for the suggestions
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 4:54:05 PM

rmnesbitt said:
What would be the performance loss by downgrading to the 3930k?


probably approximately 0.... you would be losing 3 megs of cache and 100mhz per core... this is negligible... you're better off getting the 3930k and saving 450... i assume since you're going so high end you want to overclock too so may as well save the money and put it into nice watercooling setup so you can overclock more...
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2011 8:40:47 PM

+1000000 to the GTX 580 in SLI. If you've got the money to spend that's easily the way I'd go.

I also agree that the 3960 is overkill. Actually it's the new 990X. There's not that many that can drop $1K on a CPU right now, especially when a $300 one outpaces it and practically outperforms it, and the people that do so, mainly buy these just for the "I'm better than you" bragging rights. You're better off investing that money in a killer SLI / Triple SLI setup.

Try this one:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950 Watt - $149.99
Motherboard: EVGA X79 SLI - $299.99
CPU: 3.20 GHz Intel Core i7-3930X - $599.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 1.6V for Intel X79 Quad Channel 16GB (4 x 4GB) - $169.99
Cooler: Corsair H100 - $119.99
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB - $209.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB - $139.99
Video Card: 2 x EVGA Geforce GTX 580 In SLI - $499.99 each ($998.97 total)
OS: Windows 7 Pro - $139.99
Optical: Lite On BD-R - $99.99
Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech MK520 - $49.99
Monitor: Asus VS247H 23.6" full 1080p widescreen LED LCD - $179.99

Total: $3399.99 ($3019 without monitor/keyboard/OS)
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 9:26:44 PM

I am sure you can build a very good pc with that budget, and all the above configurations seem great.

However i am wondering, since you are going to be working (i assume proffesionally) in 3D Design/Animation and Graphic Design, if it would be a better choice to invest in a nvidia quadro gpu. I don't know many details but they are build for this kind of use and i believe that heavy and intensive 3d cad programs will work far better with them rather than a mainstream gaming graphics card.

Just my 2 cents and some thoughts to discuss
m
0
l
November 21, 2011 9:42:36 PM

If your going to oc it and have never done that before asus maximus IV extreme has settings in bios for up to 4.8 (i72600k) already.....my son renders all day (WHAT HE GETS PAYED TO DO) and at home he uses a sabertooth mobo with a i7 950 and it takes 30secs so how long you want to wait is up to you .....I use the maxIV myself cant kill it with a overclock you just resat it.
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2011 10:10:37 PM

Rosebud said:
If your going to oc it and have never done that before asus maximus IV extreme has settings in bios for up to 4.8 (i72600k) already.....my son renders all day (WHAT HE GETS PAYED TO DO) and at home he uses a sabertooth mobo with a i7 950 and it takes 30secs so how long you want to wait is up to you .....I use the maxIV myself cant kill it with a overclock you just resat it.


I think he's set on getting an X79 - the Maximus IV is a Z68 based motherboard. It's still a good system in and of itself, but I do agree that if you're going to OC, the regular SB chips do offer some better advantages over the X79 but that's only if you're getting an unlocked CPU.
m
0
l
November 22, 2011 4:17:47 AM

I am probably going to get torn to pieces for this build but here it is:

--COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--SAMSUNG P2770FH ToC Rose Black 27" 1ms Full HD HDMI LCD Monitor (x2)
--ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support
--DIAMOND 6990PE54G Radeon HD 6990 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (x2)
--Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-1200M 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 & SSI EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
--CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMT8GX3M2A1866C9 (x2)
--AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX
--Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7 (six-core ready) & i5 Compatible Five 8mm Heatpipes Dual 120mm Fans

The thought process with this was to get more cores for less and using the money to improve other areas of the build. I read somewhere that the AMD processors do better at multitasking than the Intel counterparts so it sparked this build. I also have a very similar Intel build where I simply stepped the 2x 6990 down to 2x 5970 to save the money for a 2600k. I am also raising my budget to 3500$ to accomodate some more stuff. Keep the builds and suggestions coming!
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 22, 2011 4:51:38 AM

Right now I'm extremely indifferent on Zambezi/Bulldozer/FX - there's not a lot of justification for getting that CPU when the i5 uses less power and has stronger numbers across the board.

If you're going AMD get an X4 or X6 for now and then wait for the second generation of FX CPUs, by then they should have all the bugs worked out.
m
0
l
November 22, 2011 4:56:26 AM

Do they have x6 AM3+ processors I'm on my phone now and can't check
m
0
l
November 22, 2011 5:30:16 AM

Mine is a p67
m
0
l
November 22, 2011 5:31:43 AM

g-unit1111 said:
I think he's set on getting an X79 - the Maximus IV is a Z68 based motherboard. It's still a good system in and of itself, but I do agree that if you're going to OC, the regular SB chips do offer some better advantages over the X79 but that's only if you're getting an unlocked CPU.

mine is a p67 b3
m
0
l
November 22, 2011 8:41:36 AM

Just go the 2600k you'll save $1000 for a SLIGHT decrease. The sandy bridge e is mainly for servers
m
0
l
November 22, 2011 11:05:11 AM

rmnesbitt said:
Do they have x6 AM3+ processors I'm on my phone now and can't check


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Considering how much under budget an AMD build would be I would overclock the **** out of this thing and if breaks just buy another one. But I have been told I am crazy :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
November 23, 2011 6:19:08 AM

EVGA GTX 580 Classified (waiting for inventory)
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme (waiting for inventory)
Corsair Dominator GT 16gb (waiting for inventory)
Corsair Airflow Pro
Corsair CMXAF2
Corsair 800D
Thermaltake 1200w
Thermal Take Frio
Intel Core i7 3930k
Samsung Rose 27in

This is the Intel Build I put together! What do you think versus the AMD build?
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2011 6:23:36 PM

venom4u said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Considering how much under budget an AMD build would be I would overclock the **** out of this thing and if breaks just buy another one. But I have been told I am crazy :pt1cable: 


:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

That's what I'm planning to do - I have a Phenom II X6 sitting on my desk, I'm buying a motherboard this week (I think - still undecided) and I'm going to see how far I can push this thing without causing my PSU to explode, I'm betting I can get it to at least 3.5 - 3.8GHz.
m
0
l
November 23, 2011 6:31:29 PM

I went with the 3930k because the socket is newer and I thought it would provide for more upgradability in the future. Anyone have any other info on this? I also went for a ROG motherboard for the ease of overclocking (which I have never done before).
m
0
l
November 23, 2011 6:39:13 PM

rmnesbitt said:
I went with the 3930k because the socket is newer and I thought it would provide for more upgradability in the future. Anyone have any other info on this? I also went for a ROG motherboard for the ease of overclocking (which I have never done before).


it's not going to provide more upgradability in the future.... intel isn't slated to release any higher end processor than the 3960x for the 2011 socket... not to say they won't but even if they do it would not be worth the upgrade... but i wouldn't sweat it too much that 3930k is a beast
m
0
l
November 23, 2011 7:40:38 PM

is the ROG motherboard worth the price for the ease of overclocking? Does ROG provide overclocking of memory? how about for graphics?

The 580s i plan to put in the case are for my video editing with some insane gaming on the side. Is this a good choice? I figured the 3gb ram on the cards would provide a little extra support for the rendering?

Is 2133 Ram worth the upgrade over say 1600? I can get some NICE 1600 Cas 7 or 2133 Cas 9. I understand that the SB-E support up to 2133 is that correct?

Is 1200w power supply going to be enough? They dont make many options above this (not saying there arent any) but I want to play it safe and get something that isnt going to be too weak in the future (2x 580s // 32gb Ram // 5x HDDS)

Is the ThermalTake Frio going to be too big of a cooler on my board? Will I be able to get the Corsair AirFlow Fans on top of the memory? This is a pretty big concern of mine as the way they have the memory on each side of the processor?

Is the 800D really worth the hype? Should I add a few more fans to help with the directional airflow?

Is nVidia 3d Surrond a worthy competitor to Eyefinity? If you plan to go the three monitor route in the future is it worth going AMD over nVidia just for this feature?

Anything else to add?
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2011 9:16:40 PM

Quote:
is the ROG motherboard worth the price for the ease of overclocking? Does ROG provide overclocking of memory? how about for graphics?


Not really - most motherboard makers are wise to overclocking anymore - you should explore getting a motherboard with UEFI BIOS - and that will allow you to overclock in Windows with relative ease. You definitely don't want to overclock your memory - that can lead to bad things - BSODs and that sort of nature. As for graphics you don't really need it - most GPU makers are very wise to overclocking (especially EVGA, Sapphire, and XFX) and sell overclocked and even superclocked models to suit most gamers' needs.

Quote:
The 580s i plan to put in the case are for my video editing with some insane gaming on the side. Is this a good choice? I figured the 3gb ram on the cards would provide a little extra support for the rendering?


Higher end cards make better use of VRAM than anything else you can get.

Quote:
Is 2133 Ram worth the upgrade over say 1600? I can get some NICE 1600 Cas 7 or 2133 Cas 9. I understand that the SB-E support up to 2133 is that correct?


No it isn't. Most motherboards will natively support up to max 1600Mhz - 2133 is only achievable through overclocking. And even then most motherboard and RAM manufacturers advise against that. The only thing I'd do would to be set the RAM to run at default speeds and timings. If you set it incorrectly it has the potential to fry your motherboard.

Quote:
Is 1200w power supply going to be enough? They dont make many options above this (not saying there arent any) but I want to play it safe and get something that isnt going to be too weak in the future (2x 580s // 32gb Ram // 5x HDDS)


1200 will give you more than plenty of power and then some. You're right that you should future-proof your system as much as possible. PSUs are one component that hasn't changed that drastically over the years - a 1200W will pretty much power all new and even future cards.

Quote:
Is the ThermalTake Frio going to be too big of a cooler on my board? Will I be able to get the Corsair AirFlow Fans on top of the memory? This is a pretty big concern of mine as the way they have the memory on each side of the processor?


I'm not too big on the Frio - it's a HUGE cooler. That's definitely not to be mistaken. I have the Thermalright Silver Arrow on my system and from my general experience the ultra huge coolers can be quite cumbersome and actually difficult to work with in the long run. RAM coolers are actually a waste of money - they don't really do much. Actually for this setup I'd recommend a closed block liquid cooler like the Corsair H100. That would allow you to achieve some serious speeds with the 3930K.

Quote:
Is the 800D really worth the hype? Should I add a few more fans to help with the directional airflow?


Corsair cases are excellent. But the 800D is kind of overkill - the hot swapping HD feature is only useful if you're working with massive amounts of data - for games not so much. The 650D, Graphite 600T, or Carbide series would be much better bets - but Corsair makes some absolutely quality cases.

Quote:
Is nVidia 3d Surrond a worthy competitor to Eyefinity? If you plan to go the three monitor route in the future is it worth going AMD over nVidia just for this feature?


You're talking about two different things. 3D surround is technology meant to enable the 3D output on 3D monitors - and those are ridiculously expensive right now. Eyefinity is ATI/AMD's technology that is meant for setting up multiple monitors with one or two GPUs. If you want to use 3 or more displays I'd recommend going the Eyefinity route, and one of the best cards on the market for that is Sapphire's Flex series since you can use more than one monitor on the default HDMI output.
m
0
l
November 23, 2011 9:28:26 PM

I was under the impression 3d surround enables 3 monitors as one big monitor (however, I would be ignoring the 3d aspect)
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2011 10:18:00 PM

rmnesbitt said:
I was under the impression 3d surround enables 3 monitors as one big monitor (however, I would be ignoring the 3d aspect)


No. It's not the same as Eyefinity - it's meant to enable the output on 3D monitors.
m
0
l
November 23, 2011 10:50:39 PM

Quote:

Not really - most motherboard makers are wise to overclocking anymore - you should explore getting a motherboard with UEFI BIOS - and that will allow you to overclock in Windows with relative ease. You definitely don't want to overclock your memory - that can lead to bad things - BSODs and that sort of nature. As for graphics you don't really need it - most GPU makers are very wise to overclocking (especially EVGA, Sapphire, and XFX) and sell overclocked and even superclocked models to suit most gamers' needs.

No it isn't. Most motherboards will natively support up to max 1600Mhz - 2133 is only achievable through overclocking. And even then most motherboard and RAM manufacturers advise against that. The only thing I'd do would to be set the RAM to run at default speeds and timings. If you set it incorrectly it has the potential to fry your motherboard.


The motherboard I have is a ROG UEFI motherboardwith 64gb RAM support, 4 Way SLI, and Socket 2011.

While most motherboards support up to 1600 natively, my motherboard support 1866 with 2133 labeled as (O.C). What would I have to do in order to get the board to run the 2133? I also understand that all memory comes out of the box at HALF the speed listed. Thus 2133 is going to come out at 1066 and need to be "O.C" to its supported 2133? Is doing this dangerous? I do not plan to pus the memory past the numbers listed on the label which is 2133 9-9-9-27
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2011 11:26:06 PM

rmnesbitt said:
Quote:

Not really - most motherboard makers are wise to overclocking anymore - you should explore getting a motherboard with UEFI BIOS - and that will allow you to overclock in Windows with relative ease. You definitely don't want to overclock your memory - that can lead to bad things - BSODs and that sort of nature. As for graphics you don't really need it - most GPU makers are very wise to overclocking (especially EVGA, Sapphire, and XFX) and sell overclocked and even superclocked models to suit most gamers' needs.

No it isn't. Most motherboards will natively support up to max 1600Mhz - 2133 is only achievable through overclocking. And even then most motherboard and RAM manufacturers advise against that. The only thing I'd do would to be set the RAM to run at default speeds and timings. If you set it incorrectly it has the potential to fry your motherboard.


The motherboard I have is a ROG UEFI motherboardwith 64gb RAM support, 4 Way SLI, and Socket 2011.

While most motherboards support up to 1600 natively, my motherboard support 1866 with 2133 labeled as (O.C). What would I have to do in order to get the board to run the 2133? I also understand that all memory comes out of the box at HALF the speed listed. Thus 2133 is going to come out at 1066 and need to be "O.C" to its supported 2133? Is doing this dangerous? I do not plan to pus the memory past the numbers listed on the label which is 2133 9-9-9-27


That is correct - most motherboards will default the memory to half the stock speed. What you generally have to do is set the BIOS to recognize the memory at default speeds - but not higher. If you OC your RAM it can be quite dangerous to the overall well being of your system. I've seen motherboards fried when the RAM is attempted to overclock, and that's not covered under any manufacturer's warranty.

I haven't had any experience with X79 yet, but I've worked with P67, Z68, X58, and way older Intel and AMD chipsets, and that's usually the case with the RAM is that the motherboard will always default to the lowest speeds that it can handle.
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 12:19:59 AM

So I can safely put THIS RAM up to 2133 9-11-10-27 in the BIOS of THIS motherboard?

m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 1:57:05 AM

rmnesbitt said:
So I can safely put THIS RAM up to 2133 9-11-10-27 in the BIOS of THIS motherboard?


On that motherboard you can run it in 2133 - but only on OC mode. Natively, the max speed it will support is 1866. But I'd recommend NOT messing with the timing unless you were absolutely certain you knew what you were doing.
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 2:13:42 AM

All I want to do is run the ram at the speed that it is listed at on the newegg page. No more. No less.
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 2:28:15 AM

rmnesbitt said:
All I want to do is run the ram at the speed that it is listed at on the newegg page. No more. No less.


Yeah - you have to buy 1866 for that motherboard, then set it to run at default speeds, that's it. Just don't push the RAM faster than it can handle.
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 2:39:46 AM

Im sorry im beating a dead horse here but I dont plan to push the ram past what it says its can run. DDR3 PC2133 9-11-10-27. That is what I want to run it at and that is what the motherboard supports (with O.C). So this is where I get confused, if I set the BIOS to the listed stats (above), is that considered pushing the RAM faster than it can handle or no? I dont understand why the motherboard says 2133 is OC? I have never understood this. Thanks again for all the responses
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 2:44:31 AM

Also, could this RAM be run at 1866, I mean I personally dont see why I cant just set it to 1866?
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 3:09:25 AM

I have a ROG motherboard so couldn't I just allow the AI Suite from Asus to do its "automatic overclock" with the "extreme" function (as opposed to the "fast" function). To overclock my CPU and Ram?



I did read that this will result in higher voltages thus resulting in higher temps? However I plan to run a 3930k with H100 water cooling. Would this be sufficient to run at 1.65v? I would probably overclock using "Auto-Tune" then go back into the UEFI and set my BCLK back to 100?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 4:04:59 AM

I've read the first dozen or so posts - not the entire thread, so I'm sorry if someone has already told you this.

Point 1. You'll get pretty much the same performance from a sub $18/1900 system instead of 3250. Spending 13-1400 bucks extra for a ~5-10% performance increase ain't worth it IMO:

25/2600K + Z68(G3) + 16GB DDR3 1600 + 120GB SSD + 2XGTX 580 will cost you less than $2000.

Point 2. If you're bent on getting SB-E, then obviously as the other posters have said - getting the 3930 makes a lot more sense. The platform itself gives you enough bragging rights. You don't need to shell out the extra $400 for 1 extra frame or something.

3930+ASUS P9X79 PRO is just 'bout all you need - Good enough for Anand Lal Shimpi, good enough for me ;) 
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 4:18:28 AM

You are most definitely wise and I have been trying to decide if I wanted to go with the 2600k or the 3930k and I still can't defide
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2011 4:26:22 AM

Comes down to bragging rights vs. financial sense.

One more thing to consider though. Why not wait a a little while longer for Ivy+GTX 6xx/Radeon HD 7000?
m
0
l
November 24, 2011 4:33:08 AM

On the first note, I am going with the 6 core not for gaming but for 3D Design / Animation in which the applications (rendering) utilize every core. I am also going with a very high end motherboard for the ability to upgrade in the future (more ram, etc). Bragging rights only last so long (until your system is outdated) and is a terrible reason to buy a computer.

On the second note, how much longer until the 6xx come out? Ivy isnt slated for release until March? For me this is a long time to wait

  • 2x EVGA GTX 580 Classified (waiting for inventory)
  • ASUS Rampage IV Extreme (waiting for inventory)
  • Corsair Dominator GT 16gb (waiting for inventory)
  • Corsair 800D
  • Corsair 1200w
  • Corsair H100
  • Intel Core i7 3930k
    m
    0
    l
    a b B Homebuilt system
    November 24, 2011 5:21:23 AM

    rmnesbitt said:
    On the first note, I am going with the 6 core not for gaming but for 3D Design / Animation in which the applications (rendering) utilize every core.
    Point taken. Though for that, unless you're really into pro level stuff you can look at AMD's multi core chips as well. For single threaded apps, they'll obviously not be a patch on these chips but for multi threaded apps, they'll be significantly cheaper for a somewhat reduced performance.
    rmnesbitt said:
    I am also going with a very high end motherboard for the ability to upgrade in the future (more ram, etc).
    A higher priced board doesn't necessarily guarantee more upgrade room. The cheaper board in my link supports 64GB straight out of the box, does 16/16 SLI, 16/8/8 tri SLI. Should allow significant overclocking room as well - Anandtech review
    rmnesbitt said:
    Bragging rights only last so long (until your system is outdated) and is a terrible reason to buy a computer.
    Or a car, or a hot girlfriend for that matter. Doesn't mean we don't want the best and brag about it when we do manage to get out hands on something that everyone else envies - as long as the good times last anyways ;) 

    Anyways, on a more serious note
    rmnesbitt said:
    how much longer until the 6xx come out? Ivy isnt slated for release until March? For me this is a long time to wait
    A few more days or so I read.
    m
    0
    l
    November 24, 2011 5:32:11 AM

    Where did you read that info on the Ivy / 6xx? The only reason I am interested in the release is so the prices will drop on the SB / 5xx. Does the board you linked have UEFI?


  • Intel i7 3930k
  • Asus P9X79 Pro
  • 2x MSI GTX 580
  • 32GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    m
    0
    l
    November 24, 2011 5:47:44 AM

    This build isnt very much cheaper than my other build however I do not have to wait for any of the parts to come in stock!
    m
    0
    l
    a b B Homebuilt system
    November 24, 2011 5:53:07 AM

    rmnesbitt said:
    Where did you read that info on the Ivy / 6xx? The only reason I am interested in the release is so the prices will drop on the SB / 5xx.
    Ivy ain't slated to release till March/April, but the 600 cards do drop in a few days apparently. Don't expect the SB prices to drop, but yeah, the GPU prices should come down a bit.
    rmnesbitt said:
    Does the board you linked have UEFI?
    Yes, it does.
    m
    0
    l
    a b B Homebuilt system
    November 24, 2011 6:03:47 AM

    BTW, you should be looking at quadros or firepros if you're looking at CAD/3d modelling/Rendering - not gaming cards. Go to the forums of the programs that you use to get better help as to the card you'll be needing. Some cards are specifically designed for certain apps.

    What do you use any ways 3ds max?
    m
    0
    l
    November 24, 2011 6:15:26 AM

    The top of the line cards are VERY VERY expensive!
    m
    0
    l
    a b B Homebuilt system
    November 24, 2011 6:22:26 AM

    Yes they are. But maybe you won't be needing them. Or maybe getting something like that will mean you can go down to a 2600K or AMD 6/8 core chip?

    That's why I asked you to post in one of their forums to get an idea of what is really needed at a particular price point :) 
    m
    0
    l
    November 24, 2011 7:40:05 AM

    Very good point, I will look into it. However, I do gaming on the side as well so I want to have a good GPU for that (will probably end up costing me more $$$ in the long run this way). I am happy with the build I originally went with and I am excited to see how it all turns out. I will be looking for those 6xx nVidia cards to be dropping soon as I hope the price of my Classified 580 will drop slightly
    m
    0
    l
    !