Sign in with
Your question
Closed

8pin turn into a 6pin?

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 4:19:38 AM

hey, im wondering if you could possibly carefully break a 8pin connector and make it a 6+2 connector XD i know, odd question, but would it work?

More about : 8pin turn 6pin

February 22, 2012 6:16:27 AM

Nope. For 1 each pin delivers a certian voltage or data rate and breaking off 2 will not work.

2. most pins are connected in what they transfer for example 1 might send data somewhere and the data comes in to another.

3. your motherboard/hardware will not know how to use it, since it is supposed to be 8 pin.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 6:26:53 AM

but isnt 6+2 pin the same as 8pin without the choice of making it a 6pin plug or a 8pin plug?
Score
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 6:43:59 AM

oh yeah, didnt even think about adapters. DURP thanks.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 9:48:37 AM

Lol... you don't need any of that. The Cable will be directly compatible with the socket and will leave 2 Pins unconnected without any problems. The only thing should be that the 2 Extra Pin should not be blocked by any component on the GPU or Mobo.

@brythespy: What DATA are you talking about? Those are Power Connectors.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 11:24:23 PM

alyoshka said:
Lol... you don't need any of that. The Cable will be directly compatible with the socket and will leave 2 Pins unconnected without any problems. The only thing should be that the 2 Extra Pin should not be blocked by any component on the GPU or Mobo.

@brythespy: What DATA are you talking about? Those are Power Connectors.

i was thinking the same thing about what brythespy said, but sorta new to all this stuff still so i didnt want to say anything incase i was wrong then id look like an idiot XD

in my case the 6pin socket blocks the 8pin connector, so the 8pin wont go into the socket. i could get an adapter, but if i were to find a way to cut the extra 2pins off safely, it WOULD work, am i wrong? because a 6+2pin is the same thing as an 8 pin, just already broken off professionally right? XD
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 2:25:51 AM

It's ok to ask idiotic questions, it's not ok to help someone out by confusing them, so since you're the original poster, no one would have laughed, if you had expressed a doubt about the first reply. Better safe than sorry.

"6+2pin is the same thing as an 8 pin, just already broken off professionally right?"
Right, more like a 6 Pin connector + a 2 Pin Connector.

You could go and cut the two pins off using a knife or heated knife. BUT.
What if you need the 8 Pin socket tomorrow?
What if you need to get a new Mobo that might need the 8 Pins?
If it doesn't fit directly onto the mobo, then the safest way to go would be to buy just another 6+2 pin extension cable.
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 4:35:47 PM

alyoshka said:
It's ok to ask idiotic questions, it's not ok to help someone out by confusing them, so since you're the original poster, no one would have laughed, if you had expressed a doubt about the first reply. Better safe than sorry.

"6+2pin is the same thing as an 8 pin, just already broken off professionally right?"
Right, more like a 6 Pin connector + a 2 Pin Connector.

You could go and cut the two pins off using a knife or heated knife. BUT.
What if you need the 8 Pin socket tomorrow?
What if you need to get a new Mobo that might need the 8 Pins?
If it doesn't fit directly onto the mobo, then the safest way to go would be to buy just another 6+2 pin extension cable.

not if i dont completly detach the extra 2pins :D  it will be a home made 6+2pin, wont cut the wires off, just detaching the 2pins for the other 6.
Score
a b ) Power supply
February 25, 2012 2:56:44 AM

Well. then you're good to go.
Score
a b ) Power supply
March 5, 2012 2:36:40 AM

Best answer selected by marshal11.
Score
a b ) Power supply
March 5, 2012 7:52:28 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar