Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cat 6

Last response: in Networking
December 19, 2010 11:22:22 PM

Hello,
This is frustrating. I ran about 250feet of Cat6. All the wires are intact as verified by a continuity test. But when the end connectors are installed and plugged into the computer and the router, there is no signal. I have changed both ends at least 6 times and get the same results. A very close examination with a good magnifying glass seems to verify good crimping of the connectors to the wires but still no signal. Any ideas anyone???

More about : cat

December 20, 2010 2:10:55 AM

The length should be ok, make sure you have the wire in the correct position, color does matter, when you are going this far with a cable.
http://zytrax.com/images/cat5_color.gif
what do you mean by no signal? Do you have lights come on the network card and router when you plug the cable in?
m
l

Best solution

December 20, 2010 11:46:38 AM

Color matters at any length of cable. Correct pinout when looking at the side of the RJ-45 connector where the contacts are facing you:

Orange Stripe
Orange
Green Stripe
Blue
Blue Stripe
Green
Brown Stripe
Brown

The wires MUST be in this order on BOTH ends for the cable to follow standards.

Some other things to consider:

1.) What speeds are you running? Cat 6 is not rated for 10GBaseT for more than ~56 meters, this is about 75 meters.

2.) Is the cable kinked or crushed at all? Yes, check the entire 250 ft.

3.) What two devices are you connecting?

4.) Do the devices work with another ethernet cable attached?
Related resources
December 20, 2010 12:28:03 PM

Before making the connections we did look online and got the proper sequence and color code. The connectors are wired correctly. The computer we are connecting to is my son's. It is a new computer we got him for college and it was fine at school. He just brought it home for the holidays. We did try another computer, a laptop, and it will connect wirelessly but when you disable the wireless connection and plug in the cable, nothing.
We are running from the router to all of our computers. We have two other computers that are working fine. This new run is the only cable that won't work. Again, all of the wires in the cable are verified good by doing a continuity test. And all of the wires appear to be in the proper position when looking at the connector after crimping it onto the cable.
My son's computer just says it is disconnected from the internet connection. We tried rebooting the computer with the cable in place and that did not work either. The computer just does not see the connection!
m
l
December 20, 2010 2:47:38 PM

If the cable won't work with any other computer then something is wrong with the cable.
What are you using to test the cable?

It's possible that the home router just won't work with that long of a run.
m
l
December 20, 2010 3:03:15 PM

sturm said:
If the cable won't work with any other computer then something is wrong with the cable.
What are you using to test the cable?

It's possible that the home router just won't work with that long of a run.

Thanks Sturm for the reply. If the problem is with the router not supplying a signal strong enough to go that far, how could you find out and what would you do to fix it? Are there signal boosters or do you think it would require another router? It likely takes an expensive piece of test equipment to test the connectors. Should I just pay to have someone come out and test it? Thanks again.
m
l
December 20, 2010 3:15:58 PM

A good tester could set you back quite a bit. Having someone test it might not be too bad.
You could also go and buy a cable pre-built that is long enough. These would already be tested to be good. If that doesn't work then I would look at the router.
m
l
December 20, 2010 4:30:20 PM

Hello Sturm. You are right on all points. Just so happens a contact of my computer guru called after the last post. He has all the test equipment and came out quickly and it only took him 15 minutes to find the problem and fix it. Turns out it was in one of the end connectors. There were shorts and opens. Geeez.
Anyway, he used one of his connectors which lines the wires up better and now it is working! Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays.
m
l
December 30, 2010 1:10:21 PM

Best answer selected by oldsneaker.
m
l
!