Sign in with
Your question

Computer powers on by itself. BIOS Setting? (P8Z77-V Pro)

Last response: in Motherboards
December 28, 2012 5:02:47 PM

Brand new build, and I just got everything loaded up last night (OS along with all updates, drivers, some programs, etc). Right now, just the bare essentials are installed (SSD, Optical Drive...no graphics card or other HDDs). I finished up last night and shut the computer down (Start>Shut Down). Shut down fine.

Got up this morning and the computer was on. I thought maybe I just forgot to shut it down. Shut it down again, and came back 30 minutes later and it was on again.

I couldn't find a clear reason for this happening. Some of what I found said it was a power setting in the BIOS, causing it to boot up on a loss in power? Or that the BIOS battery may be low? Just looking for some guidance so I know what to check out when I get home.

-Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

Other than that, the system is running great!
December 28, 2012 5:17:31 PM

Bios setting normally or CMOS battery is low, buy a new one for like $2. Contact Asus about your problem and ask for assistance.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 251 V Motherboard
December 28, 2012 5:19:45 PM

Go through the bios settings.
Most likely you have wake on lan turned on.
Whenever you get a lan message, possibly even from hackers probing your pc, it will turn on. Disable that.
Other possibilities are wake on timer and...

The bios batteries seem to last forever, and I would not expect that symptom anyway.
No worries there.

Another possibility:
If you have a cat, that walked over your keyboard, that is a common way to wake up a pc.
Yes, it has happened to me:) 
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2012 5:31:30 PM

If there is a temporary power loss where you live and it comes back on that could cause it. A UPS would prevent that and is a good idea if you don't have clean power there.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 251 V Motherboard
December 28, 2012 5:42:22 PM

Jim_L9 said:
If there is a temporary power loss where you live and it comes back on that could cause it. A UPS would prevent that and is a good idea if you don't have clean power there.

That is another bios setting.
Usually, the default is to leave it in the state it was when power was lost.
But... It could be set to power on after a power loss.
I prefer to have it set to remain off regardless.
m
l
December 28, 2012 7:15:18 PM

geofelt said:
Go through the bios settings.
Most likely you have wake on lan turned on.
Whenever you get a lan message, possibly even from hackers probing your pc, it will turn on. Disable that.
Other possibilities are wake on timer and...

The bios batteries seem to last forever, and I would not expect that symptom anyway.
No worries there.

Another possibility:
If you have a cat, that walked over your keyboard, that is a common way to wake up a pc.
Yes, it has happened to me:) 

Thanks for the prompt response! I'll check out the BIOS.

I should have noted that I am not wired to a LAN, but rather using the built in wireless on the mobo, so I am not sure if that would cause it to turn or not.

Also, for sure the PC is turned off, and not sleeping, so I woudn't expect a keyboard or mouse to "wake" it up.

Thanks again!

Quote:
That is another bios setting.
Usually, the default is to leave it in the state it was when power was lost.
But... It could be set to power on after a power loss.
I prefer to have it set to remain off regardless.

This is the setting that people seemed to be talking about. I'll look for it.
m
l
December 29, 2012 5:21:32 AM

After a blazing fast response from ASUS tech support, I was advised to make sure the "Restore AC Power Loss" was set to "Power Off", which is in the APM Configuration. Unfortunately, it is already set correctly.

Next, I was advised to reset the BIOS, which I will do next and see if the problem comes up again.
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:31:13 AM

Your not on your own....

I have exactly the same problem, built a system just 2 days ago with
the same Motherboard and after its been shut down it comes back on be
itself. There is no set pattern to it, can be off from 2mins-15mins before
coming back on. Other than that everything is fine.

The testing I have done.

I've updated a reset BIOS, still starts up.

After shut down I've disconnected all Case front panel buttons, still starts up.

If put to 'sleep' with everything connected it stays in 'sleep', press
the power button and it comes on as it should.

If I turn the PSU off and then on again it will not
Start back up on its own.

I pretty much stuck now, I'll updated this post if anything developes :-)

m
l
December 29, 2012 4:13:22 PM

urmyuk1 said:
Your not on your own....

I have exactly the same problem, built a system just 2 days ago with
the same Motherboard and after its been shut down it comes back on be
itself. There is no set pattern to it, can be off from 2mins-15mins before
coming back on. Other than that everything is fine.

The testing I have done.

I've updated a reset BIOS, still starts up.

After shut down I've disconnected all Case front panel buttons, still starts up.

If put to 'sleep' with everything connected it stays in 'sleep', press
the power button and it comes on as it should.

If I turn the PSU off and then on again it will not
Start back up on its own.

I pretty much stuck now, I'll updated this post if anything developes :-)

Well I'm glad there is someone else out there. Thanks for posting your efforts thus far. The next step the ASUS guy told me to do was to try out a different PSU; however, I don't have a spare. My PSU is a (brand new) Corsair HX750, and from the sounds of it, I will be RMAing that, too. I don't think it is related to the problem, but the PSU fan has a nasty rattle when it spins up and spins down. Anyways, I'll get another brand new PSU so I can at least verify if that is the root of the problem or not.

Thanks again!
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 251 V Motherboard
December 29, 2012 5:05:24 PM

I really doubt that your problem is the psu.
There has to be a trigger somewhere.
Perhaps the wireless function has some option to remain active when the pc is shut down.
That would then operate as wake on lan activity.
Regardles, turn off the wake on lan and any other wake settings you can find.

Another possibility is in windows power management.
There is a setting to allow wake timers which should probably be disables.
m
l
December 29, 2012 6:01:02 PM

geofelt said:
I really doubt that your problem is the psu.
There has to be a trigger somewhere.
Perhaps the wireless function has some option to remain active when the pc is shut down.
That would then operate as wake on lan activity.
Regardles, turn off the wake on lan and any other wake settings you can find.

Another possibility is in windows power management.
There is a setting to allow wake timers which should probably be disables.

I agree that the PSU shouldn't be a problem.

I could not find any other settings in the BIOS regarding wake on LAN. I emailed ASUS back to see if they knew of any other settings.

HOWEVER! I did find something in the Windows power management settings for the network adapters (In device manager, right click on the network adapter and select properties. Then go to Power Management tab).

On my LAN adapter, there is a power management setting "Wake on Magic Packet from power off state" that is checked. This is the only setting I could find that mentions the power off state, since the other wake settings are only for standby or hibernation. Hopefully, this was the problem...I am unchecking all Wake on LAN settings. Even though nothing is plugged into the adapter, I suppose it could be causing issues.

My WLAN adapter had some wake settings, but they were already unchecked.
m
l
December 30, 2012 8:12:04 AM

My PSU is a Corsair TX750M, I don't have another to use as a test either ATM.
m
l
December 30, 2012 3:44:27 PM

Well, I had to power on by itself again, so I'm not sure if the wake setting I disabled last time did anything.

I checked the boot/shutdown log, and it says I shut it down at 1:14am, which is correct. The weird thing is right after that there is a boot log entry for the same time, 1:14am. I know it did not start up right after I shut it down, so that seems odd to me.
m
l
December 30, 2012 3:50:23 PM

Just a question, where did you buy your Motherboard ??

I got mine at scan.co.uk
m
l
December 30, 2012 11:52:35 PM

urmyuk1 said:
Just a question, where did you buy your Motherboard ??

I got mine at scan.co.uk

I ended up getting mine at Newegg.
m
l
January 2, 2013 7:45:45 PM

Just tried another PSU, same result, switched itself on after 1min 15secs :-(
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 251 V Motherboard
January 2, 2013 7:52:25 PM

Another thought:
Is there possibly some app like e-mail that is periodically waking up and trying to do a send/recieve?
Or... some sort of program or started task that is checking for updates?

m
l
January 2, 2013 7:56:54 PM

urmyuk1 said:
Just tried another PSU, same result, switched itself on after 1min 15secs :-(

Well shoot. I timed mine yesterday over several boots...I was getting anything ranging from 5 minutes to 20 minutes.

The only other thing I can think of (unless there is a mysterious BIOS setting that the ASUS team hasn't mentioned) is the CMOS battery is bad. In one forum post I found, the OP mentioned that was his problem. I have some spares laying around, so its worth a shot, I guess.

What still doesn't get me is that, after shutdown, if we turn the PSU off, then back on, the comp will stay off indefinitely. It's like some settings or something are retained and are only cleared once the PSU is off. This behavior makes me think the mobo is just faulty; even with a bad power switch or CMOS battery, I would expect the problem to be there all the time.
m
l
January 2, 2013 8:01:51 PM

I agree with you on the Motherboard. Trouble it is not just something you can takeout I store and fit another to try.

I haven't contacted were I bought it, they will probably say it's something I've done wrong or Software / BIOS Setting.

m
l
January 2, 2013 8:05:41 PM

geofelt said:
Another thought:
Is there possibly some app like e-mail that is periodically waking up and trying to do a send/recieve?
Or... some sort of program or started task that is checking for updates?

From what I understand, if there is anything at all that can turn the computer on (after being shut down), it has to be at the BIOS level. If the comp was in standby or hibernation state, then it would be a different story.

This is just after a quick search for "programs to automatically turn computer on" or along those lines. I could be completely wrong.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 251 V Motherboard
January 2, 2013 8:11:28 PM

jstluise said:
From what I understand, if there is anything at all that can turn the computer on (after being shut down), it has to be at the BIOS level. If the comp was in standby or hibernation state, then it would be a different story.

This is just after a quick search for "programs to automatically turn computer on" or along those lines. I could be completely wrong.

I was stretching. I think you are correct.

You might go through the bios settings again.

I might try deactivating the wifi to see if the problem might be in that area.
m
l
January 2, 2013 8:14:13 PM

geofelt said:
I might try deactivating the wifi to see if the problem might be in that area.

Urmyuk1, are you hooked up via LAN or Wifi? Do you have the Wifi module installed? I'm using Wifi.
m
l
January 2, 2013 8:24:17 PM

Yes I'm using the WIFI Module
m
l
January 2, 2013 8:28:09 PM

urmyuk1 said:
Yes I'm using the WIFI Module

I guess that's another thing to try, but I don't know what it will tell us if it starts acting normal after the module is removed. It could still be the mobo. I don't really want to deal with it anyways since you have to take the entire mobo out to take the module off.

I just disabled the LAN adapter and am waiting for it to boot up. This is getting frustrating since I don't know if I am going to have to wait 1 minute or 30 minutes for it to boot on its own. :pfff: 
m
l
January 2, 2013 8:31:02 PM

I wonder if our machines have anything else in common, here's my full spec..

Case
Corsair 600T Graphite Series Mid Tower Case

Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V PRO Intel Z77 Socket 1155 Ivybridge Ready Motherboard

CPU
Intel CPU Core i7 3770K Quad Core Processor Ivy Bridge

CPU Coolers
Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator and Fan Quiet CPU Cooler

Memory - DDR3
Corsair Memory Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 10 XMP Dual Channel

Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 690 NVIDIA Graphics Card - 4GB

Power Supply Unit
Corsair Enthusiast TX M CP-9020039-UK 750W Power Supply (PSU)

Solid State Drive
Crucial RealSSD M4 256GB - Solid State Drive

Hard Disc Drive
Seagate 2TB SATA III Performance HDD ST2000DM001 7200rpm

Optical Drive
Plextor PX-891SA
m
l
January 2, 2013 9:03:48 PM

Here is my full spec, though I was having this issue with just the bare minimal hardware (mobo, memory, cpu, sdd)

Case
Corsair Carbide 500R

Motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

CPU
Intel i7-3770K (stock, not OC, yet)

Cooler
Stock for now, currently RMAing a Corsair H100i

Memory - DDR3
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL

Graphics
Nothing, yet. Using onboard for now.

PSU
Corsair HX750

SSD
Samsung 840 Series 250 GB

HDD
2X Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001

Optical Drive
LG DVD Burner GH24NS50
m
l
January 2, 2013 9:05:23 PM

Just discovered something else...

Shut it down, start it up with the power button & Press F2 to get into BIOS.
Then shut it down by holding the start up button (shuts down straight away, don't nee to hold for 10secs like a forced shut down)

My machines as stayed of for 20mins now, I'll leave it another 10mins to see if it comes back on.
m
l
January 2, 2013 9:10:55 PM

urmyuk1 said:
Just discovered something else...

Shut it down, start it up with the power button & Press F2 to get into BIOS.
Then shut it down by holding the start up button (shuts down straight away, don't nee to hold for 10secs like a forced shut down)

My machines as stayed of for 20mins now, I'll leave it another 10mins to see if it comes back on.

Good idea. Has your machine made it past 20 minutes before? I'm still waiting for it to boot back up after I disabled the LAN adapter...its been 40 minutes...

EDIT: Spoke too soon, just booted back up. I'm going to disable the Wifi adapter next.

One interesting thing: with the wifi adapter enabled, when I shut down the machine, the light on the wifi module stays lit. When I cycle the PSU power, the wifi module light goes off and never come back on. Maybe it is the wifi module? Its been a while since I've had a LAN hookup so I can't remember the LAN lights stay on or not in the powered off state.
m
l
January 2, 2013 9:16:13 PM

Delete
m
l
January 2, 2013 9:41:51 PM

i sent you a Private Message
m
l
January 2, 2013 9:56:18 PM

Also switches the WIFI Module LED off if I shut down from BIOS, maybe your onto something there.

I think it would be much easier for you to take the Motherboard out and try again without the WIFI Module, I have a massive cooler and GPU in mine ;-)
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:04:00 PM

urmyuk1 said:
Also switches the WIFI Module LED off if I shut down from BIOS, maybe your onto something there.

I think it would be much easier for you to take the Motherboard out and try again without the WIFI Module, I have a massive cooler and GPU in mine ;-)

I can pull the mobo if/when it comes down to it. My case must look empty compared to yours! :D 

So I take it you haven't got any boots yet after shutting down from BIOS? I'm on 45 minutes right now after shutting down from Windows with the Wifi adapter disabled. Crossing my fingers...
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:13:53 PM

Didn't start up after shutting down from the BOIS Shut Down, over 40mins then I switched the Power because I had to leave it.

Have you disabled the WIFI Adaptor in the BIOS or Windows? As the light gone off ?

m
l
January 2, 2013 10:17:06 PM

urmyuk1 said:
Didn't start up after shutting down from the BOIS Shut Down, over 40mins then I switched the Power because I had to leave it.

Have you disabled the WIFI Adaptor in the BIOS or Windows? As the light gone off ?

I disabled the Wifi adapter in Windows...the light goes off as soon as it is disabled, and stays off. Almost an hour and no startup.

Here is a scenario: Shut down from Windows with wifi enabled. Light should be on once it is shutdown. Startup to BIOS. Is the light still on? Shut down from BIOS. Is the light still on?
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:31:57 PM

I think you have cracked there Sir :-)

The fix for me is simple, where the machine is at moment is not where it's staying, where it's staying is next to the Router, so I'll be using a LAN Cable and can leave the WIFI Adapter disabled.

While typing this post I'm think about this 'WIFI GO' software that ASUS are using, could this be anything to do with it ??

I am posting off my iPhone ATM so I can't check this out.
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:34:11 PM

In reply to your question.

No the light is off after the BIOS Shut Down.
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:47:47 PM

urmyuk1 said:
I think you have cracked there Sir :-)

While typing this post I'm think about this 'WIFI GO' software that ASUS are using, could this be anything to do with it ??

Let's hope this is the problem! I'm heading out now so I'll give the machine a good long time to sit. Still nothing at 90 minutes.

Not sure if WifiGo could be causing problems. Maybe there are power management settings in the program that Windows doesn't normally use. For example, a "wake from power off state" or something. The machine is off now, but I'll check it out later after I am satisfied and boot back up.

I do need a fix for this, since I'll be relying on Wifi for the time being. I'm going to send this info over to the guy at ASUS as well as post it up on the ASUS forum.

geofelt, thanks for getting us on what looks to be the right track!

Edit: It has been almost 24 hours with no start up. I am confident in saying it is the Wifi module causing issues. I will mess with the Wifi Go software when I get home. There could be a setting which allows you to turn on the computer via wifi, since you can set up the machine as a DNLA media hub.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:32:51 PM

Hello,

I am a new computer builder and new to this site as well so please excuse any inexperience. I've been having the same problem some of the other members mentioned on this post. That is, my computer turns on by itself at seemingly random times from shutdown.

I've done everything everyone suggests (Bios settings off, wake from LAN off, disconnect front panel connectors so on) so far none has worked.

The only common denominator here is the ASUS P8 Z77 Pro running on WIFI.

Thank you for your help and any suggestions.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:37:17 PM

We have a solution thanks to the guys over at ASUS.

"ErP Ready" mode must be enabled under the APM Configuration in the BIOS.

This solved the problem for me. When the machine shuts down with the Wifi adapter enabled, the Wifi LED will go off (instead of staying on like before).

As far as what "ErP Ready" mode is, I am not familiar with it. ASUS said there is a Wifi wakeup and this will disable it. Still doing some research. If anyone would like to explain it, that would be awesome!

EDIT: In the manual, under the "ErP Ready" section, it says, "This item allows user to switch off some power at S5 to get the system ready for ErP requirement."

S5 state is the shutdown/OFF state. So it makes sense when it says it switches off power at the S5 state; it switches off power to the Wifi module, essentially disabling it and not allowing it to turn the machine on. Beyond that, I'm not sure what the purpose of ErP is.
m
l
February 11, 2013 3:14:12 AM

I have this problem too. It starts at random times when in Hibernation mode. I just upgraded from a Sabertooth 990FX motherboard (from Rev 1 to Rev 2) on a Windows 8 machine. With the Rev 1 board, this did not occur.

I see that the newer board has additional settings but ASUS doesn't explain all of them that well. I have Erp enabled, the computer is connected to a UPS, so there are no power issues. The problem occurs with no Internet connection.

It would be nice to find out what is causing this--especially since the computer is in my bedroom.
m
l
February 11, 2013 7:57:42 PM

I, too, have a P8Z77V-Pro. Same auto-on issue. I enabled ErP, per this thread and it works. Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks guys!
m
l
February 11, 2013 8:02:53 PM

WCarp said:
I have this problem too. It starts at random times when in Hibernation mode. I just upgraded from a Sabertooth 990FX motherboard (from Rev 1 to Rev 2) on a Windows 8 machine. With the Rev 1 board, this did not occur.

I see that the newer board has additional settings but ASUS doesn't explain all of them that well. I have Erp enabled, the computer is connected to a UPS, so there are no power issues. The problem occurs with no Internet connection.

It would be nice to find out what is causing this--especially since the computer is in my bedroom.

The issue you are having is different since you are in hibernation (S4 state) instead of completely off (S5 state). Erp enabled only deals with the S5 state.

I would suspect your problem stems from a software setting; perhaps a power saving setting that allows stuff to bring the computer out of hibernation (e.g. network adapter or usb).
m
l
March 4, 2013 7:16:40 AM

jstluise said:

This solved the problem for me. When the machine shuts down with the Wifi adapter enabled, the Wifi LED will go off (instead of staying on like before).

As far as what "ErP Ready" mode is, I am not familiar with it. ASUS said there is a Wifi wakeup and this will disable it. Still doing some research. If anyone would like to explain it, that would be awesome!

EDIT: In the manual, under the "ErP Ready" section, it says, "This item allows user to switch off some power at S5 to get the system ready for ErP requirement."

S5 state is the shutdown/OFF state. So it makes sense when it says it switches off power at the S5 state; it switches off power to the Wifi module, essentially disabling it and not allowing it to turn the machine on. Beyond that, I'm not sure what the purpose of ErP is.

Thank you jstluise!!

I have been pursuing this issue since mid january. I started out pursuing it as an application wake on lan issue, then a network connections issue or possible Windows 7 issue. After setting my computer to never sleep and always shutting it off completely at night, submitting it to several forums including ASUS, and talking to a system administrator, I was finally convinced it was a bios issue. Up till now, I have disabled every network connection feature and bios feature that I could find that appeared to remotely have any connection to wake on lan or wake from power down and nothing worked.

I have implemented the ErP option and I am convinced from this thread and all the other possibilities I have eliminated that this is the answer. I had looked at the ErP option several times, but I just could not figure out what it could possibly have to do with the wake issue. As a matter of fact, I could not figure out what it related to.
I am surprised the ASUS forum was not able to identify this issue right away. My earlier interactions with ASUS technical support on a much simpler issue has left me with a rather poor impression with their technical support. I Hope I am wrong since in addition to building my new system around the ASUS MOBO I purchased an ASUS laptop just 6 months earlier.
The quality of the description and explanations of features and options in the mobo manual is very disappointing, and it is not backed up by documents or better xplanations on their website. I asked one of their technical support personnel if there was any documents or white papers that would give a better explaation of the options, and his response to me was to "accept the manual".
Enough of my venting, thank you very much for persuing this issue and getting a solution.

Leonard
m
l
March 7, 2013 2:22:44 PM

Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped troubleshoot the issue! I had similar symptoms and was starting to suspect a hardware defect, but then I came across this thread and changed the "ErP Ready" setting to enabled, and the computer is acting normally again.
m
l
March 9, 2013 4:39:00 AM

jstluise said:

I was excited when I read this thread because I thought I found the fix to my problem. I have same motherboard and same issues. The problem now is that it won't let me change the "ErP Ready" to enabled. every time I try, it immediately switches back to disabled.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
m
l
April 7, 2013 9:09:56 AM

discoveringmypath said:
jstluise said:

I was excited when I read this thread because I thought I found the fix to my problem. I have same motherboard and same issues. The problem now is that it won't let me change the "ErP Ready" to enabled. every time I try, it immediately switches back to disabled.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Yes I believe you first have to enable the c3,c6 and c state settings in bios, then go back to APM and enable ERP. kinda sucks though if you are overclocking and wish to disable c states!
Oh and wcarp is right it can also affect sleep, not just s5! I have a MVF and my pc stays powered down in s5 with ERP disabled, but it wakes from sleep mode after 20-30 seconds every time. I too spent alot of time troubleshooting and considered all the WOL and power options and every bios setting until finally enabling c states and ERP. This is MY Only fix. Pc stays asleep now.
Not sure exactly what ERP is for but ASUS should be aware of this issue and what a headache it is for their customers.
Also Im thinkin not all PSU'S have the feature (erp), and wonder if its a compatability problem with Corsair and Asus. Im curious how many people in this thread with the "power on" isssue have Corsair PSU'S?????
Ax860i here. I didnt have this problem when I was using my thermaltake 850 psu.
m
l
April 12, 2013 8:46:51 PM

I encountered this problem on my z77 after updating the bios firmware 3 weeks ago. Pc started powering itself on around 6 am every day. I couldn't figure out why until i went to the bios and went to APM then ErP and then disabled it. I had it enabled so my external drives powered down when I turned the PC off and this has worked fine for 6 months but the new firmware update seems to allow something to restart the PC. I have disconnected all usb ports and even my monitor but it still powers on in the morning. I have checked for start up settings in Windows and found nothing. I am guessing here but I think it's just bad firmware update for the z77. It sucks cos I really want my drives to power down. Now I have to chose between that or my PC starting up :( 
m
l
April 13, 2013 2:39:47 AM

ozboy said:
I encountered this problem on my z77 after updating the bios firmware 3 weeks ago. Pc started powering itself on around 6 am every day. I couldn't figure out why until i went to the bios and went to APM then ErP and then disabled it. I had it enabled so my external drives powered down when I turned the PC off and this has worked fine for 6 months but the new firmware update seems to allow something to restart the PC. I have disconnected all usb ports and even my monitor but it still powers on in the morning. I have checked for start up settings in Windows and found nothing. I am guessing here but I think it's just bad firmware update for the z77. It sucks cos I really want my drives to power down. Now I have to chose between that or my PC starting up :( 

ozboy go into your bios and right arrow several times until you get to the "intel NIC" option. its kind of hidden meaning you cant get to it with your mouse just keyboard. There should be an option there for wake on lan, disable that and see if that helps. If not it sounds like you have a scheduled task or program starting the same time every day, are you doing a backup to your xtertnal drive at 6am every day?? good luck
m
l
April 24, 2013 10:26:26 PM

Thanks for replying and taking your time to do so sdmf74. Sorry I didn't get a notification about it and only made it back to the forum now. I can't find the "intel NIC" option in my z77 bios, whenever I use the arrows they just scroll across the tabs at the top of the page (i am in advanced mode) and then onto the exit tab. I have been thru all the sub menus of all the tabs and can't find it. I have checked my wake on lan settings for my network card it is all disabled and the only schedule I have is Jdownloader but that is for 2.30am.
I put the newest firmware for the bios on the other day. The computer still restarts but the start time has moved to mid day. I have just disabled ErP and put up with it.
m
l
!