Gigabyte GA Z77 D3H wont recognise 7850 GPU?

Logie4

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hello, i have the Gigabyte GA Z77 D3H motherboard and a sapphire 7850 OC graphics card. My problem is that my motherboard does not seem to recognize the card. I initially thought that my graphics card was the problem, but after installing it in a friends PC with an ASUS motherboard it worked fine. The card powers up and all fans spin and i have tried both PCI slots. still no result. The card has been installed correctly each time and is firmly placed in. When connecting the card to my monitor the monitor just displays the no signal message and proceeds to turn itself to power saver mode. i have read of other people having the same issues. Is there a solution to this problem (and all different bios versions have also been tried) or should i return the board for an ASUS? (i really dont want to have to do that unless absolutely necessary!)
Thanks in advance, Thomas.

Dhack61

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

we may have a solution. It worked for us. We had the same problem with an XFX 7850 on a Asrock Z77 Extreme4 board. We tried all the switching from auto to gen1 fixes & all the bios fixes and moving the card, nothing worked.

Our solution was First we downloaded the current Catalyst Software for the 7850 to a flashdrive. then uninstalled all drivers for the 7850 that we tried to install that never took. and made sure there was no sign of the card in the system. Made sure the bios and all the setting were back to current. Shut down the system. unplugged it and cleared the CMOS. We then used a DVI cable on the DVI port that supported VGA out. On the XFX card it was the one next to the HDMI port it may vary on the sapphire (this also worked with a VGA to DVI adapter that came with the card if you dont have DVI IN on your monitor you can switch to back HDMI after it working) We then booted the system. Win7 recognized the card as a generic VGA adapter. we were then able to load the Catalyst drivers and install. Device manager then had it listed. Rebooted and every thing was good to go.
All we could figure is that something in the Z77 MB chipset does not like or will not allow the digital output with the HDMI or DVI on the 7850 GPU. When set up with the analog VGA it recognized the card after there was an analog signal passing through the PCIE 3.0 slot

Hope this works for you and everyone else with this common problem

killdeer38

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I know this is late, but what I did was with the Video card out, I updated the GA-z77m-d3h-mvp bios from from F3 to F6. I also downloaded the most current drivers from AMD. I will say I did not realize I was going to have a problem until I did. Removal of the CMOS battery was needed to get back to the MOBO GPU. Once this was done, I was fine using HDMI cable.

HueyL

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Hi, I have faced similar issue. I got it resolved (seems stable still now for about a week..). It seems to be a bios issue: mine reset the integrated/peg/pci all te time, and the gen type... By the way: I use bios F18. The F19 betas seem NOT to work again...
I have changed the oprom setting to legacy, the gen type to gen2 (gen1 also works) and the first adapter to boot to peg. The last sometimes changes back to auto, but the card gets initialized now fine.

Hope this helps you as well. Regards, Huey.