GTX 570 SLI micro sutter

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I'm thinking about getting 2 gtx 570s but im concerned about micro stuttering.

Just how common, and bad is micro stuttering on 2 GTX 570s?

And how many games are not SLI compatible?

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
First off, what are your reasons for buying 2 gtx 570's? What games will you be playing.

Most things I've read seem to say that SLI rigs are exhibiting less micro stuttering than crossfire setups. And what do you mean by SLI compatible? You should understand the reasons you want something before dropping 600$ on a useless upgrade.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
If a game supports graphics acceleration through DX/OpenGL/whatever, than the card will benefit the game. It's mostly on the card manufacturers driver/interface at that point. To the game, the hardware accelerated graphics is a black box, with a couple interface layers.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

My reasons for buying 2 GTX 570s are irrelevant to a question about micro stuttering but seen as you asked, I want good gaming performance and I will be playing BF3, Crysis 1 & 2, Total war, SWTOR, etc which I want to max out.

What does SLI compatible mean? ......It means a game that is SLI compatible. Or in other words a game that can or can not utilize mutiple GPUs (not all games can) if you didnt know that then your not really the best person to advise me on an SLI set up are you.

I do understand the reason I want 2 GTX 570s pal or I wouldnt be thinking about getting them ;)

And it hardly a "useless" upgrade :non:

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
microstutter is more apparent in mid range cards than the high end.
nvidia have done especially well with optimizing their drivers to conquer this.
i doubt you will see microstuttering unless your cpu is not clocked high enough.

Thanks for the reply. I have read that micro stutter is more less apparent in high range cards but I wasnt sure how high end the card would need to be.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010

First off, I might not sound like it but I'm trying to help. Secondly, your question about SLI compatibility is misguided. All games are SLI compatible. To a game, there is only a graphics layer API like DirectX or OpenGL. It does not see 1 x Radeon HD 5850 or 2 x GTX 570 or what not. That was the point I was trying to make. http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_game.html . So I might not be the best person to advise you on an SLI setup, but maybe I can correct a few of your misconceptions.

Also, I asked what you were using it for because your monitor is not listed in your sig, and depending on what resolution you are playing your games at (even the high end ones), your SLI setup will be a waste of money and not contribute anything more than SLI 560s or maybe a single 570. If you want scalability for later released titles, that's a whole different story. It's also the kind of information I was asking you for.

And I responded to your question about SLI micro stuttering, which you could have found out by spending some time to read posts in this forum or doing a google search.

Sorry for being callous but you sounded uninformed and ready to drop > 600$ on pieces of hardware that you haven't done any research on. However, based on you signature, it does seem like your GFX card is the hardware component that is bottlenecking your gaming performance, and maybe it is a good upgrade for you.

The issue of Microshutter is exaggerated and overblown out of proportion. If your rig is balanced and you do most of the things right you might not ever notice except when the cpu or the hard drive lags behind. I would know because I have been running sli for years and even on low end pos card microshutter isn't much of a problem so fear not.

Lyden

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
@OP - I have two GTX570's and I have zero issues. However I do have processor and ram that are just a step up from yours. I think my SSD is too... not sure. Don't forget, you will need a bigger PSU too. 750 won't cut it.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010

You can be pretty confident that the i5-2500k and 1600 MHz Ram will not be your bottle neck.

cyborg34572

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
just use this and your good

http://www.evga.com/articles/00463/

And theres really no noticable micro-stutter with Sli'd high-end Nvidia cards.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Apologies, I do appreciate your help. There has a misunderstanding.

What I was meaning by "SLI compatibility" was more the scaling of SLI. I have done a lot of reading on this forum and google and have read that in some games people are seeing no benefit from dual graphics cards and in some cases evan less performance (I think the game was Total War)

My resolution is 1920 x 1080, so yes two GTX 570s is over kill for a lot of games at the moment I suppose, but I want to play games maxed out and also scalabilty for games in the future. I understand there is no such thing as future proof in the world of computers but I would like to be able to play games maxed out for as long as possible with my budget.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Have you ever run two GTX 570s on a 750w power supply? I'm looking for peoples personal experience not opinions.

A lot of people seem to be using two GTX 570s with a good quality 750W Power supply with no problem.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-sli-review/13

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Thank you for the link mate :)

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I know this is an old post but I am getting dual 570's soon and I wondering if you do see any micro stuttering? I have all good specs