February 22, 2012 7:30:19 AM

Hello i have a pc with a:

ASRock N68-GS3 UCC AM3
AMD Athlon II X2 220 2.8 GHZ=5.2 GHZ
Nvidia Geforce GTS250 1GB
4GB RAM
250Gb HD
Black Asguard

And i only play games like STALKER 1+2+3, GTA San Andreas, Crysis and my lad plays Call of Duty 4 and all of these i play maxed out apart from crysis, i play that at high rather than very high, and on crysis i rarely drop below 30fps and on CoD its rarely drops below 90fps and STalker is about 40fps.
But soon i will want to play Farcry 3 and Bioshock Infinite when they release, so should i upgrade or not because i dont mind playing games on very low settings because i grew up playing atari 2600 and eventually the highlight was a sega megadrive!
And if so what proccesor should i get, i would like it to be a AMD and a AM3 SOCKET my motherboard can handle 6 cores and 95w.
Also what graphics card should i upgrade to to fit with this CPU.
And also how do i go about installing a cpu, i looked online but i just wondred how do i flash my bios, on the motherboard box it says "flash bios wothout going in an OS like MS-DOS" so how would i go about doing it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

More about : upgrade enquiry

a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 7:35:31 AM

If you're looking for a CPU upgrade, look towards a quad core Phenom II BE you're able to use and overclock it as much as possible. :) 

I will add, dual core does not nearly mean 5.2ghz.
February 22, 2012 7:51:01 AM

Oh right why a Phenom and not a Athlon.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 7:53:06 AM

You must have a low resolution screen. I'd say try the new games before updating.
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 8:01:16 AM

Phenom II have L3 cache making them better performers. Also, BE means "Black Edition" and that they'll have an unlocked multiplier, meaning they aren't tied to your NB clock (usually a higher overclocking headroom).

A new GPU would depend on your budget.
February 22, 2012 8:04:16 AM

At FinneousPJ Yeah its a fairly old and small LCD moniter, like i said graphics arent really important to me and my missus has to use it to do her work so i couldnt sneakily but a new flash moniter lol.
But at Raidur Oh alright i will go with the Phenom II and money isnt an issue 'cause the other half cant see in the computer.Thanks guys.
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 9:47:41 AM

Your GPU is going to be the biggest benefit in your upgrade.

The GTS 250 is now a couple, and soon to be a few, generations old.

If you're looking at being able to run future games... maybe wait a couple months (new GPUs have been [7970&50 7770&50] and more are releasing at this time [Nvidia and other 7 series]) for prices to come down (assuming your current performance is satisfactory).

In the current time a fast Phenom II Black Edition quad core (maybe a heatsink for overclocking, as the Phenom II BE has good headroom) compatible with your mobo is a good upgrade and I couldn't see the prices getting much better than they already are.
!