Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus Sabertooth 990FX CPU LED

Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2012 7:43:37 AM

Hello,
I recently put together a new build from the bottom up and I am getting the CPU fault LED and it stays on and no POST. I am afraid it might be something in my setup, but I can't identify the problem. I have checked compatibility charts, and everything seems fine. Please help.

--G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7Q-8GBRM
--AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ980FBK4DGM
--ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3 AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
--SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
--Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
--550W PSU
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 8:14:16 AM

what brand is your psu?
And are all the psu(mobo and cpu) connectors securely fasten?
Score
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 8:14:37 AM

Have you tried a single stick of ram?
Score
Related resources
February 22, 2012 8:35:29 AM

its your bios.

that board with stock bios will NOT support that CPU.

BUT go to asus website download the updated bios onto a mem stick, plug the stick in to the mobo USB and tyhen boot it up, press delete to enter bios and then go to update and flash bios.

should work no probs after that dude, have same problem with my 1090T didnt work but my FX8150 was all fine, stock bios only works with FX series chips but a flash WILL support the phenom X4 AND X6 chips.

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_...

just select the windows versions you have and then hit the bios in the list it will expand and then just install the latest which is 0901.

all should be tip top then, i have the Crosshair V Formula and its the same chipset and bios problems as the sabertooth. new bios adds more CPU's to the supported list

happy gaming dude
Score
February 22, 2012 8:47:47 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
what brand is your psu?
And are all the psu(mobo and cpu) connectors securely fasten?

My PSU is made by Keian. I'm in Japan... stationed overseas has its drawbacks. All the connectors are secure.
Score
February 22, 2012 9:05:03 AM

Spoony said:
its your bios.

that board with stock bios will NOT support that CPU.

BUT go to asus website download the updated bios onto a mem stick, plug the stick in to the mobo USB and tyhen boot it up, press delete to enter bios and then go to update and flash bios.

should work no probs after that dude, have same problem with my 1090T didnt work but my FX8150 was all fine, stock bios only works with FX series chips but a flash WILL support the phenom X4 AND X6 chips.

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_...

just select the windows versions you have and then hit the bios in the list it will expand and then just install the latest which is 0901.

all should be tip top then, i have the Crosshair V Formula and its the same chipset and bios problems as the sabertooth. new bios adds more CPU's to the supported list

happy gaming dude

This may be something I should already know, but I am still new to this. So, please bear with me. How can I update the BIOS when the comp won't post?
Score

Best solution

February 22, 2012 9:15:45 AM

should be a battery inside on the Mobo take it out and then power up the PC. it wont do anything or should, so then disconnect the power put the battery back in and try to start it up.

all should be well inthe world then, if that dont work then you might have a faulty board, which if im honest wouldnt supprise me as they DID have a bad batch made at the start of the 990FX and also the new intel X79, i know i had 1 formula that didnt work and 4 yes i said 4 intel x79 rampage 4 extreme's that had a mulitude of problems.
February 22, 2012 10:20:36 AM

Raidur said:
Shouldn't need new BIOS as all CPUs on the support list have the same BIOS version.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH...

Try clearing your CMOS. Hopefully it's not your mobo, do you hear any beeps?

So you get no video at all?

I get no beeps and no video. I have not tried resetting the CMOS. The CPU was an OEM CPU, however I did an RMA on the original and received a replacement. The replacement also fails the same way...
Score
March 3, 2012 5:36:20 AM

Best answer selected by denmanmd.
Score
March 3, 2012 5:37:37 AM

So it turns out that Spoony was right. Mobo was faulty. Swapped in all parts (except mobo) to another system. everything else works... mobo faulty.
Score
!