bluetooth headset compatible with apple powerbook?

Last response: in Technologies
April 1, 2005 3:40:13 PM

Not strictly a cellular question, but hoping someone has experience of
this. I'm thinking of getting a BT headset both to use with my mobile
phone and my mac powerbook. Is it possible with the latter. I realise
that the audio quality isn't great, but would I be able to, in effect
use it as a headset?

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
April 1, 2005 3:40:14 PM

I've used a SonyEricsson HBH-65 with two PowerBooks with no problem. It
appears as an audio device in Sound in System Preferences, so you can
specify what to do with it - the microphone and speaker part are
separate, so you could use your normal speakers and the headset mic, or
vice versa.

You need a moderately recent version of MacOS to make it work; I don't
recall the version, but I'm sure Apple's web site can help.

Apple's first D-Link manufactured USB Bluetooth interface does not
support headsets. The newer opaque D-Link USB modules work just fine.

The main thing to be aware of is that some headsets will only "pair" to
once device at a time. This means that you must put the headset into
discoverable mode, tell your computer or phone to discover, enter the
PIN, etc., _every_ time you switch devices. The older SonyEricsson ones
support up to 3 paired devices.

Make sure you get one that supports multiple pairings, and you should
be fine.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:27:39 PM

<bb+graffiti.spam.gopigopi@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I've used a SonyEricsson HBH-65 with two PowerBooks with no problem. It
> appears as an audio device in Sound in System Preferences, so you can
> specify what to do with it - the microphone and speaker part are
> separate, so you could use your normal speakers and the headset mic, or
> vice versa.
>
> You need a moderately recent version of MacOS to make it work; I don't
> recall the version, but I'm sure Apple's web site can help.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have the most recent version of the OS,
and BT built in to the powerbook. Basically, I was just going to get a
fairly cheap headset for around 20 UKP. The one I'm thinking of getting
definitely works fine with the SE T610. Do you think it would likely
work with the powerbook as well?

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
April 2, 2005 6:29:46 PM

Probably. I just double checked with my older SonyEricsson HBH-15
headset, and it works just as well as my newer headsets - there are two
"profiles", Bluetooth terminology for protocols, in use, "headset" and
"handsfree." I forget which is which; one is old, one is newer. Older
headsets only support the older one, newer headsets almost universally
support both (some Nokias are an exception and only support the newer
one.) Your T610 supports both old and new ones. Given that the
PowerBook supports both old and new, I'd expect it to work with
anything. I can't promise of course, but it should...
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 4:33:11 AM

<bb+graffiti.spam.gopigopi@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Probably.

FWIW- no problem at all. You have to use the bluetooth setup software,
rather than just browsing for a device- works great!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net