Closed Solved

Galaxy GTX 460 vs HD 6850

Hello, I've been looking for a new graphics card to put in my Dell Studio tower, which has an embarrassing HD 5450 in it.

I've been looking at the HD 6850, 6870, and I found the GTX 460.

The prices are:
HD 6850 = $120
HD 6870 = $160
GTX 460 = $80

I looked at a few posts, and it said that the 460 is a little worse than the 6850 in comparison, but basically par. The 460 looks like a heck of a price for me, any inputs or suggestions?

PS, the GTX460 is 768MB.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about galaxy 6850
  1. 768 mb version is a fail and is severly weaker than the 1gb version. Don't get it. You're better off with a Gigabyte 6850, the best out of all the other 6850's.
  2. What is your system specs, the best card of those is obviously the 6870 but thjat could be to much for your rig. So mobo, psu, cpu, ram, resolution, everything please.
  3. CPU: i7 870 @ 2.93gHz

    PSU: OCZ EliteStream 1000W

    RAM: 12GB

    Resolution: 1920 * 1080

    Mobo: Ibex Peak H57 Chipset
  4. Get the 6870 or a GTX 560, or even better but probably way out of the budget 560Ti. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125383 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127592
  5. GreenDutchAlien said:
    Get the 6870 or a GTX 560, or even better but probably way out of the budget 560Ti. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125383 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127592

    That's a bit out of budget, I was more looking at the HD 6850, I have an offer right now for a Windforce HD 6850 for $120.
  6. Well, it depends on what you wanne do with it but if you like to play demanding games at higher settings the 6870/560 are the cards to have. If you're not a gamer the 6850 but also the 460 will do fine.
  7. Btw, with rebate the 560 is about the same as a 6870. Cheapest 6870 ; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948 only 30 bucks more than the 6850.
  8. GreenDutchAlien said:
    Well, it depends on what you wanne do with it but if you like to play demanding games at higher settings the 6870/560 are the cards to have. If you're not a gamer the 6850 but also the 460 will do fine.

    I will be a gamer, and I want to run BF3 at high settings, but is the 6870 worth $40 extra?
  9. It really is. And it's 30 extra, it costs $149.99 after mail-in rebate card and free shipping ( if you're a Yankee :lol: )
  10. GreenDutchAlien said:
    It really is. And it's 30 extra, it costs $149.99 after mail-in rebate card and free shipping ( if you're a Yankee :lol: )

    Haha, I'm a Canadian. It's $5 extra here, plus $12 for shipping. Now, if I add taxes to that, that's almost a $50 difference with the 6850. The Windforce 6850 is lightly used, at $120, no extra. What do you think?
  11. Best answer
    Pfffffffffff, why do those Yanks :kaola: have the better deals ? It's just not fair !!! Prices in Holland are also way higher than over there.
    Mmmm, tough one. 50 bucks is a lot, on the other hand ; you will be using this device for a period of at least two years i think. So 50 dollar devided (?) by 24 months is, euh, well, as good as nothing !!! :lol: The 6870 will give more satisfaction and you will allways be wondering now if you buy the 6850 if the 6870 would not have been just that something like 2 dollars a month extra worth . . . :sol:
  12. Hmm, okay. Maybe I'll look at the classified used websites to see if there's a nice deal. Thanks for the help.
  13. Best answer selected by jeeholim.
  14. Thanks and happy gaming !
  15. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx HD Graphics Product