Is my PSU failing?

magnetica

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hi all

I have been having a few issues with my PSU as of late.

Dell Optiplex GX620
PSU M/N L280P-00

Issues

Every now and again theres a *whirring* sound coming from it, which then breaks into a full blow loud noise, as if something is stuck. (maybe, idk though)

Also it seems when playing videos on channel4 or BBC, it gets louder as well and starts to make funny noises, or using DosBox (for some reason) as if the extra power draw is affecting it of something

That sound is typical of a fan starting a slow, painful death - possibly a fast death. It's possible that the PSU's fan is starting to fail. If it's the PSU fan, then I'd start being concerned when the sound stops. Try to get a good look at the fan when you start hearing the whirring sound. Are you sure it's coming from the PSU? Could it be another case fan that's in the same general area? If the PSU is top-mounted, then there is likely a case fan in the same general area as the PSU.

It may sound kooky, but you can use a tube to help isolate where the noise in a case is originating. I use the center of a paper towel roll - can't beat the price! Stick one end up to your ear and direct the other end to suspect areas in the case and you can really pin down what noise is coming from specific areas in your case.

magnetica

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Its doing it now, but yes it is 100% the PSU, and its very tempremental. Sometimes (like yesterday) it went all day with no problems, today its just non stop.

New PSU then??

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

If you were brave you could replace the fan..

magnetica

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
xx_pemdas_xx Oh I'm brave.

If it was a decent PSU, then I'd try to fix it but it's a 280w Dell

So I'm thinking of just replacing the PSU entirely?

But if I was to replace the fan, how much would it cost? And do you know what size fan the Dell L280P fan is? (no luck with google)

If still under warraty, then I would try and RMA the PSU or get warranty work done on the system. If not, then you could attempt to replace the fan or replace the PSU. Attempting to replace the PSU fan will void any remaining warranty you have on the PC.

If you want to attempt to replace the fan, then you can attempt to read a part number off of the fan if visible. Other then that, the most reliable way to determine the size of fan will be to crack it open and measure the fan dimensions. If you do this, then be sure to BE SAFE. Completely unplug everything from the PSU and give any capacitors in the PSU time to discharge prior to sticking fingers into the PSU.

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
just a note some Dell systems have odd power supply connectors its worth checking first before spending the cash. nothing worse than spending money and finding its does not fit in the case or on the motherboard.

magnetica

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

No I think that is the right one, it has the correct M/N.

It does say that it is for the mini tower and mine is the desktop, will that make a difference? Surely the M/N uniquely identifies it?

Yes that's your PSU...i was just responding to David that your PSU is different from the standard ATX. It looks like that PSU was designed/built to specifically fit into Dell systems. You would probablky have a hard time finding another BTX PSU that will fit into your case.