Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BEST MID TOWER - GPU COOLING WANTED?

Last response: in Components
February 22, 2012 12:01:03 PM

Im case shipping for my new build and im interested in a mid tower case. I was looking at fulls but i dont see the value because im just getting a standard ATX mobo and not the EATX... I wouldnt utilize all that empty space.

My main concern is airflow, I want to keep my GPUs cool. So cases that offer fans directly on them is definitively a plus

Also, the more 200+mm options the better, Im not sure if this is true but im thinking bigger fans = more cfm at a lower RPM so more airflow and less noise!

I will spend up to 150 but it being a mid tower id really like to keep it less than 100.

So keeping fan size, case size, and gpu temps in mind what are my options?
Related resources
February 22, 2012 12:43:21 PM

Corsair 600t se white; imo the best case out there. Great cooling and amazing cable management, very easy to install and you can have 4 extra fans on the side
February 22, 2012 12:57:55 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ive been looking at the 600t and912 as well

Look what i found on newegg... the thermaltake gts. a mid tower version of the g10

There are absolutley no reviews on it anywhere.

Oh yeah, another thing thats very important to me is INTERNAL usb 3.0
The pass through cable just looks messy and tacky and cheap, what a terrible quick fix for lazy manufacturers
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 12:59:08 PM

He want that type of case. I agree with @Rugger , i have the HAF 912 with 3 fans , 1 x 200mm fron , 1x 200mm top and 1 x 120mm rear. I have no problem with the heat.
a c 158 ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 1:20:12 PM

glory88 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ive been looking at the 600t and912 as well

Look what i found on newegg... the thermaltake gts. a mid tower version of the g10

There are absolutley no reviews on it anywhere.

Oh yeah, another thing thats very important to me is INTERNAL usb 3.0
The pass through cable just looks messy and tacky and cheap, what a terrible quick fix for lazy manufacturers

Advantages of the GTS:
- Comes with USB 3.0 on the front panel
- Comes with 1X 120mm fan and 1X 200mm fan (912 comes with 2X120mm fans)

The GTS is over double the price of the 912. If you want to pay an extra $60 for for those advantages, then the go with the GTS. Personally, I would:
- Buy 2X200mm fans and install front/top
- Take the extra 120mm fan and make it intake over the GPU.
- Sink the extra money into a better GPU or CPU.

Edit: The Bitfenix Raider DAVCON suggested is very similar to the GTS but $100 (free Shipping) instead of $125 for the GTS ($15 shipping). The same money argument I made for the GTS applies to the Raider. Just my opinion...

Best solution

a c 124 ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 1:42:14 PM

The Thor and HAF 932 are full towers, so that don't fit ya criteria. If you were doing full towers, Id have to suggest the Antec DF-85 or 1200 V3 w/ the CP-850 PSU as the quietest pairing I have yet to build with. Running several SLI boxes, over clocked as far as I'd go w/o longevity concerns (4.8GHz on CPU, 980 Mhz on twin GPU's) and with all case fans on lowest possible setting, the fans are inaudible and the temps hi 60's for CPU and < 80 for GFX cards.

The 912 is a good case from a cooling perspective, but the lack of a front USB 3 keeps it off any of my build lists.

Quote:
Oh yeah, another thing thats very important to me is INTERNAL usb 3.0 The pass through cable just looks messy and tacky and cheap, what a terrible quick fix for lazy manufacturers

Don't blame the case guys ..... that was the case manufacturer's response to the fact that initially MoBo manufacturers did not provide an internal port for USB 3. I gotta agree tho, that it's about time that they should be providing both options.

The 660T is a capable mid tower, but the 500R IMO is much better from a features standpoint, and it's cheaper and better looking to boot.

My build lists for mid towers are topped with the Corsair 500R, Antec Lanboy Air and Antec 902 V3....Next up would be the NZXT Phantom. For full Towers, I have the two aforementioned Antec cases (1200 V3 / DF-85), the HAF-X, and Level 10 GT.

Given your stated needs, I'm thinking the Corsair 500R is the case for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
Yes, the Carbide 500R performed exquisitely. With four stock fans it rivals the best in cooling performance. Under extended stress in a cramped environment it kept CPU and GPU temperatures stable in a safe zone below 80 °F using the lowest setting on the fan controller. It also builds quickly and effortlessly. If you had all your parts ready it could be built in under ten minutes, including pretty cable routing........

The IO ports are arranged facing forward at the top for easy access as well as appeal. Rubber feet on the bottom help keep the case quiet as well as make the front panel easy to remove. The filters on front and bottom keep the interior clean for long-term looks. The interior is coated in a durable black coating and sharp edges are protected by design or by grommets......

The motherboard tray has a recessed area that cleverly provides more room for large CPU coolers while leaving room underneath for routing a trunk of cables. The layout leaves room enough for hands to install and for air to flow more freely.

Function, but not over form; they're both present. This is one of the most functional cases I've tested, used or even seen. It completely lacks superfluous features in order to concentrate on those that really matter. An eighth expansion slot and removable drive cages allow for more and larger video cards. The extra heat of a suped-up system is or can be easily removed by the gamut of fan options provided. Fans can be put in front, in between, on the bottom, on the top, on the side...dang near everywhere. So when it comes to cooling, your brain is the limit..... It's also got the USB 3.0 ports on front with a connector and adapter for USB 3.0 or 2.0 motherboard headers.
a c 111 ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 2:11:10 PM

Corsair 650D
February 22, 2012 7:24:50 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the Coolermaster HAF XM that is to be released soon. I saw a pic of it at CES 2012 and it looked nasty from legitreview

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/12234/
February 22, 2012 7:26:20 PM

And no one mentioned the 922? Is that worthless ? Ive read that it has USB 3.0 but i dont know if its via passthrough cable
a c 111 ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 8:15:15 PM

glory88 said:
And no one mentioned the 922? Is that worthless ? Ive read that it has USB 3.0 but i dont know if its via passthrough cable

922 does not have dust filters thats why people don't recommend it, I would still say the 400r or 500r.
February 25, 2012 12:04:20 PM

Best answer selected by glory88.
!