Sign in with
Your question

Is this rig okay?

Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2012 3:01:04 PM

I am planning to upgrade my unit for career purposes..... I am currently using applications like 3dsmax, After Effects, Zbrush and other tools for creating and rendering 3d animation.

Here is the current specs that I am using:

Intel Core i3 530
DH55TC
4GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT Green 1GB

and planning to upgrade with this build

Intel i7 2600k
Asus P8Z68-M Pro
16gb RAM
Asus GTX 560 1gb

Do I need to change my current power supply which is Thermaltake 500W power supply for this new build?

I don't know about computer hardwares so I do not know whether these parts are the right one.

Thank You.......

More about : rig

a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 3:07:29 PM

Im not a fan of thermaltake PSU's, but cant see a problem with the existing uint providing its on good working order. How old is it ?
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 3:09:12 PM

Personally i would get a 650w, that's a decent amount of ram and a pretty high end CPU, better be safe than sorry =P
Related resources
February 22, 2012 3:13:00 PM

ulysses35 said:
Im not a fan of thermaltake PSU's, but cant see a problem with the existing uint providing its on good working order. How old is it ?

I am using it for almost 2 years. Sometimes I get problems when rendering 3d's, Its kinda laggy when I render and also when I use 3dsmax, when I get to many polygons when modelling, rotating the viewports kinga lags........

silverliquicity said:
Personally i would get a 650w, that's a decent amount of ram and a pretty high end CPU, better be safe than sorry =P

thanks. I am planning to buy Silverstone Strider 750w Modular Power Supply. Is this psu okay?
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 3:21:55 PM

750w is far more than you need really

but the silverstone unit gets very good reviews and is cheaper than corsair etc
February 22, 2012 3:29:03 PM

thanks....

Regarding about this build, I have read some articles that when rendering like 3d animation, cpu is more an issue. Is this true? Can I just stick on my old GPU and spend the rest on the case? Does that build still okay?
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 5:03:41 PM

well the 2600k has hyperthreading so good for rendering

i dont do that kind of stuff so not sure but some of the software used for it may well use gpu acceleration

if so then at least a 560ti would be my recommendation --or equivalent from amd

as gpu rendering should be much faster than cpu rendering

didnt films like avatar use gpu for their animation as it was much much faster?
February 23, 2012 3:25:02 AM

so if im going to build this rig, what is the recommended power supply wattage for this system?
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 7:50:29 AM

a decent 550w should be enough

but if you ever plan to put in a second graphics card and other stuff then stick with the silverstone 750w for

future proofing
February 23, 2012 1:19:28 PM

thanks sir.....
!