Building a semi new computer

rochk123

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hi
I am in the midst of building a new computer or semi new computer as I will explain.

I had a Dell Precision 390 computer that I bought from Dell around 4 years ago. Recently the computers' motherboard broke. So instead of getting brand new pre-built machine, I decided that I wanna build one my self to save costs since I have most of the components like the Hard Drive, Graphics card,dvd rom drive etc...
I am looking to get the most bang for the buck, as I guess as most people are.
I want to know if the following components are most importantly compatible and second of all if they make sense. Plus I want suggestions for a power supply ( i think the system needs about 410 W), CPU coolers(do i need one?) and maybe also case.

I am looking at the:
Motherboard: Gigabye GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 for 169.99 from Newegg
Or
Asus P8Z68 VGen 3 for 179.99 from Newegg
Processer:Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3 GHz LGA 1155 for 209.99 from Newegg
Ram: Patriot G Series "sector 5" Edition 8 GB (2 X 4GB)DDR3 SDRAM 1600 240 Pin fir 53.99 from Newegg

What do u think? Suggestions?
Please keep in mind that I already have Hard Drive (750 GB), Graphics card(Nvidia Fx 550), dvd/rw rom drive, 13 in 1 media card reader.
Should I wait until the new CPUs come out in the first quarter of 2012?
One last thing, If I have a ATX case will all ATX motherboards fit in it are cases specific to each motherboard?

Thanx!

bucknutty

Distinguished
From what I can tell on dell.com the case is a proprietary btx hybrid case. You will not be able to install a standard atx motherboard.
The video card, HD, DVD, Card reader will work with a new computer. Some dells have a standard sized PSU some don’t. I could not tell if yours does or not.

I would go i5 2500k for 200
Z68 for 100
8gigs of 1600 ram for 50
Antec earth watts 500 for 75
Any case you like for around 75
Whole computer rebuild for $500. Keep in mind your dell windows DVD will not work on a non dell board.