PLEASE HELP ME!! Celeron ??

Tsarcia

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hi there currently Im just upgrading my HP Pavilion p6610t and already ive taken away the integrated graphics it had and put in a GTX 550 ti card and i removed the 250w power supply for a 650 Corsair..and also have taken out the 2gb sticks and put in 4gb memory. Now currently i have a celeron 450 processor and im curious whats my best option under 150 dollars processor wise. Im going for straight performace for games. Now i know i could of bought another computer and made it but I cant seem to part wit hthe HP case since its all blue lights and black n chrome lol But the computer is doing great just needs new MOBO and Processor. Any suggestions from the pros on toms hardware????????????? :) plz and ty very much\

newt183

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
You could go with a intel g620 and motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116399 (cpu)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157286 (mobo)

This setup would cost you around $135. The g620 is a very solid budget processor, I have suggested it to many people because of its cost and performance.

On the amd side of things:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103936 (cpu)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138329 (mobo)

This setup would cost you around $130. The athlon ii x3 is a triple core at 3.4Ghz. The cool thing about the motherboard in this setup is that there is a chance to unlock the hidden forth core in the cpu (making it a quad core). Don't count on this however, the percent of ii x3's that have a use-able forth core are maybe 25-40%

Anyways, good luck either way, and hope this helps :)

Tsarcia

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Ty so much and i was just curious would the AMD be better performace gaming wise becuase i do see the other processor is 2.6GHZ were the AMD is 3.4 GHZ. And of course i have one of the WORST mobos in my computer as of now so any mobo will do better LOL

The chipset on the motherboard is the g41 series chipset. Based on this chipset you should be able to use most of the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo's and Intel Core 2 Quad's. The only problem is that most of these have been discontinued and they are getting hard to find. Looking at Newegg.com right now the best of these processor that they have in stock and is in your budget is the Intel Pentium E6600 at 3.06GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116347 Now this this should work on your board but when you are using an OEM board there is always questions.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Tsarcia

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Ok Mr. Wood. So the processor you laid out would be fine then i see it now and im curious as to if i want to buy a motherboard also. I want to get a motherboard and processor

Tsarcia

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
And also by OEM I assume you mean my motherboard is from like 4 years ago when they came out with my HP desktop computer ?? Im not all that computer savy I mean i did install my Graphics card,RAM,and Corsair power supply. Im curious if i do purchase a new mother board and processor will i be able to install it and remove the old LGA mobo i have currently? Im not slow but I never did a motherboard take out or put in.

newt183

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Haha, well speed does make a difference, however, (I should have mentioned before) the intel g620 does have 3mb of l3 cache. This might not sound like much, but it is an advantage over the athlon ii x3.

I found some benchmark comparisons using the 2 different cpus. Do not decide only because of these results, but do take them into consideration.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/202?vs=406

The pros and cons: intel pro: L3 cache intel quality
intel con: slower clock speed not as good overclocking (if thats your thing:p)

amd pro: Faster speeds, better overclocking, (possible) quad support?
amd con: No l3 cache not...intel? i dunno lol

In my personal opinion, I think I would choose the athlon ii x3, because you can do more with it.

I hope this doesn't infuence your purchase too much, but the athlon ii x3 was named the best budget processor (or something like that).

Anyways, I really hope I helped you out, and good luck with you purchase!

newt183

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Yes, you could upgrade to a Core 2 duo, (never really took that into consideration). I don't know a lot about older generation intel stuff, so maybe Mr.Wood could help you with that, if you choose to take that path.

Good luck.

Tsarcia

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Haha oh crap you guys have me all confused now lol Well What I gather the AMD is probably the best option. I am curious is it going to be asy to get the motherboard i currently have out? I mean I put the other stuff in with a breeze it was pretty simple lol And Im going to buy both of the AMD products the mobo and processor. and the GTX 550 ti and corsair power supply will still be fine right?

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Getting new mobo's into branded computers usually isn't trivial. They're often form fit for the motherboard to have a compact design. When you make things by the millions every extra inch of material counts.

I would take some measurements first.

newt183

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hi again. Yes you should be fin with the athlon ii x3, the motherboard and a gtx 550.

The gtx 550 is a great budget graphics card. It only needs 400w minimun and a 6pin power connector. Your corsair psu is more than enough.

You should get great performance with this system.

Have fun :) Newt183

The information that I gave you is if you want to stay with the same motherboard. If you are looking to upgrade the system then the best advise is simply to look at a new Intel® Core™ i3-2100 and a low cost H67 board but this push your budget up close to $200 but should give you the gaming performance that would be hard to beat with anything older.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

newt183

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
If you want to stay under 150, athlon ii x3 is the way to go, if you have some spare cash lying around, you could upgrade to a i3, as Mr. Wood suggested, or the phenom ii x4.

However if you really want to stay under 150, amd is the way to go.

TRENDING THREADS