PSP - More Pixel Problems?

PSP Screen Issues Rampant
Sony says dead pixels aren't a sign of malfunction.
by Patrick Klepek
When Jeff McDaniel picked up a PSP from Target yesterday, he didn't
anticipate it would take three exchanges to find a unit without a
glaring problem. McDaniels' first PSP had a cluster of five dead pixels
that "looked like the North Star," and his second contained irremovable
dust under the screen and a stuck pixel on the left-hand side. Third
time was not the charm, though; McDaniel inspected his next PSP, only
to discover an enormous dent that looked "like a mechanical pencil had
punctured the screen."

http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6

For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
situation on your unit?

Beck wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>
> > http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6
> >

> > For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
> > situation on your unit?
>
> Hi Robert, Gamefaqs forums have a host of people who have had pixels
> problems and the dent problems.

Gamefaqs is where I saw this article initially. I didn't realize you
lurked there.

> Some people getting as many as 15 dead
> pixels in one unit. I am getting a second hand PSP this week. I
know it
> has two dead pixels and I am not worried about it. Much rather know
exactly
> what I am getting rather than open a brand new box to find it has a
face
> full of freckles.

>From what I can tell it seems to be a hit and miss thing with the bad
pixels. I suppose having two dead ones in a used unit isn't too bad,
and I hope you're getting a good deal. But like you said, if I opened
up a brand new unit which I just paid $250 for, I wouldn't be too happy
with even one dead pixel.

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
> In article <1112034971.113730.96920@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> holleyrp@delanet.com says...
> >
> >PSP Screen Issues Rampant
> >Sony says dead pixels aren't a sign of malfunction.
> >by Patrick Klepek
> >When Jeff McDaniel picked up a PSP from Target yesterday, he didn't
> >anticipate it would take three exchanges to find a unit without a
> >glaring problem. McDaniels' first PSP had a cluster of five dead
pixels
> >that "looked like the North Star," and his second contained
irremovable
> >dust under the screen and a stuck pixel on the left-hand side. Third
> >time was not the charm, though; McDaniel inspected his next PSP,
only
> >to discover an enormous dent that looked "like a mechanical pencil
had
> >punctured the screen."
> >
> >http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6
> >

> >For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
> >situation on your unit?
> >

> I have one little fella right down in the right hand corner. Not a
problem and
> I won't be returning it unless more pop up.

Now do you have an extended warranty? If not, how long would you have
to return it to get a new one? The normal 90 days?

My unit is perfect too, but I'm going to get that Pelican face plate
for it, as the bundled pouch is too soft to protect the screen from
hard objects. I wonder if they could replace the screen if it ever
gets damaged or if you have to buy a whole new unit.

Where is it located? The only problem I had was that I had some dust
in the analog slider, and it was obvious because the PSP is so black.
It took me quite a while to remove the dust as the dust got caught in
the little indentations in the grip surface

On 3/28/2005 11:36 AM, Robert P Holley spake thusly:

> For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
> situation on your unit?

Damn, I'm starting to think I won the PSP lottery. My unit is flawless -- no
dents or dings, no dead pixels, no trapped dust, and I've even managed to
not scratch the screen so far (unlike my iPod, which I scratched the first
day I had it. But a Pocket PC screen protector rendered the scratch
invisible.) The memory stick cover is a little looser than I'd like, but
nothing I can't live with.

I wonder if there percentage of dead pixel PSPs is really high, or if it's
just that the people with A-OK units have no reason to speak up while those
with dead pixels are (rightly) beaking about it.

-Z-

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
> situation on your unit?

Perfect.
no problems at all

Andrew

Robert P Holley wrote:
> Beck wrote:
>
>>"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6
>>>

>>>For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
>>>situation on your unit?
>>
>>Hi Robert, Gamefaqs forums have a host of people who have had pixels
>>problems and the dent problems.
>

> Gamefaqs is where I saw this article initially. I didn't realize you
> lurked there.
>

>> Some people getting as many as 15 dead
>>pixels in one unit. I am getting a second hand PSP this week. I
>
> know it
>
>>has two dead pixels and I am not worried about it. Much rather know
>
> exactly
>
>>what I am getting rather than open a brand new box to find it has a
>
> face
>
>>full of freckles.
>

>>From what I can tell it seems to be a hit and miss thing with the bad
> pixels. I suppose having two dead ones in a used unit isn't too bad,
> and I hope you're getting a good deal. But like you said, if I opened
> up a brand new unit which I just paid $250 for, I wouldn't be too happy
> with even one dead pixel.

I've got about a dozen. It's going back to best buy this week.

--

Andrew

In article <1112034971.113730.96920@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
holleyrp@delanet.com says...

>PSP Screen Issues Rampant
>Sony says dead pixels aren't a sign of malfunction.
>by Patrick Klepek
>When Jeff McDaniel picked up a PSP from Target yesterday, he didn't
>anticipate it would take three exchanges to find a unit without a
>glaring problem. McDaniels' first PSP had a cluster of five dead pixels
>that "looked like the North Star," and his second contained irremovable
>dust under the screen and a stuck pixel on the left-hand side. Third
>time was not the charm, though; McDaniel inspected his next PSP, only
>to discover an enormous dent that looked "like a mechanical pencil had
>punctured the screen."
>
>http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6
>

>For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
>situation on your unit?

I have one little fella right down in the right hand corner. Not a problem and
I won't be returning it unless more pop up.

So far I have no dead pixels at all. I was wondering how the psp's are
getting them though. Are they dropped or mishandled during shipment or
something? If I don't have any dead pixels now, will they pop up in the
future? Is it inevitable that all LCD screens get them? My laptop is about
3 years old, and it has no dead pixels sp far.

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
> situation on your unit?

I have one perfect one from EB. One with 1 dead pixel from Best Buy. And a
third that I bought from EB for a co-worker with 2 clustered together in the
middle that are only visible during the black screen and one bright blue in
the lower left hand corner that shows up all the time. When I called EB,
they said I could deal with Sony or I could just come in a couple of weeks
and exchange it when their supply was bigger.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6
>

> For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
> situation on your unit?

Hi Robert, Gamefaqs forums have a host of people who have had pixels
problems and the dent problems. Some people getting as many as 15 dead

> Beck wrote:
>> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6
>> >

>> > For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
>> > situation on your unit?
>>
>> Hi Robert, Gamefaqs forums have a host of people who have had pixels
>> problems and the dent problems.
>
> Gamefaqs is where I saw this article initially. I didn't realize you
> lurked there.

Cant miss me, my name is extremely similar ;-)

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"lb02" wrote in message

> So far I have no dead pixels at all. I was wondering how the psp's are
> getting them though. Are they dropped or mishandled during shipment or
> something? If I don't have any dead pixels now, will they pop up in the
> future? Is it inevitable that all LCD screens get them? My laptop is
about
> 3 years old, and it has no dead pixels sp far.

I think they mainly are introduced during assembly. I'm willing to bet that
many of these "dead pixels" are actually just dust trapped under the screen.
Nintendo's GBA-SP was prone to trapped dust with it's first released batch.
I returned my first GBA-SP (initial release) due to what I thought was a
"dead pixel", only to get a replacement that did, in fact, have truely bad
"hot pixels'. I returned the replacement for the original one. A year
later, got the tool the take the SP apart and was able to get the little
piece of dust out. Its now prestine. Since gotten a Nintendo DS, which
also has "problem pixels". Going to pick up a Sony PSP Friday and, knocking
on wood, it won't have any either.

Don't know how "inevitable" dead pixels are with appearing on LCD's, but not
having any on your laptop after three years is really good. My newest
laptop has developed a few in a couple years. I think preventing a laptop
from being exposed to temperature extremes significantly decreases the
likelihood of dead/hot pixels developing. I travel quite a bit and my
laptop has been exposed to quite a bit of temperature variations.

I also suspect that as LCD's become more and more advanced, they are
becoming more prone to developing pixel issues. Neither my Sega Nomad or
Sega Game Gear have any bad pixels, yet they have seen years of use and
travel. Assuming since they have much less resolution than today's LCD's,
the pixels are bigger and more resistant against becoming dead/hot.
Sometimes I get a sold horizontal line on my Nomad (single horizontal line
of pixels) that remains "hot" (red), but moving the contrast on the Nomad
immiedietly "knocks it back to normal".

I think the GBA-SP is much better now with the dust/pixels problem. Its
almost as if the manufacturers are attempting to crank out so many of these
things for initial releases that some quality control gets overlooked. Even
afterwards, it would be impossible to QC all product going out against a
single bad pixel or piece of dust without raising cost substantially. Just
the nature of the beast. Nintendo has offered to replace all DS's with any
pixel/dust problem though. I wonder if Sony will follow suite.

Cheers,
-Eric
(Looking forward to Friday to getting, knocking on wood, a pixel
problem/dust free PSP!)

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Er, meant that my Nintendo DS doesn't have and pixel/dust problems.

Only weird thing with my DS is that the backlight is very slightly less
bright in the lower left hand corner of the bottom LCD. Hardly noticable
though. Two other DS's I compared it with, one (friend's) also has the same
slightly diminished backlit corner and the second (fiance's) doesn't. Go
figure. *shrug*

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

<brun132001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What is the dent problem?

Its been described by some as a tiny circular hole about 1mm in size maybe
smaller, like an inward bubble.

> Where is it located? The only problem I had was that I had some dust
> in the analog slider, and it was obvious because the PSP is so black.
> It took me quite a while to remove the dust as the dust got caught in
> the little indentations in the grip surface

On the actual screen I think.

In article <1112037372.239189.181360@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
holleyrp@delanet.com says...

>MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>> In article <1112034971.113730.96920@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>> holleyrp@delanet.com says...
>> >
>> >PSP Screen Issues Rampant
>> >Sony says dead pixels aren't a sign of malfunction.
>> >by Patrick Klepek
>> >When Jeff McDaniel picked up a PSP from Target yesterday, he didn't
>> >anticipate it would take three exchanges to find a unit without a
>> >glaring problem. McDaniels' first PSP had a cluster of five dead
>pixels
>> >that "looked like the North Star," and his second contained
>irremovable
>> >dust under the screen and a stuck pixel on the left-hand side. Third
>> >time was not the charm, though; McDaniel inspected his next PSP,
>only
>> >to discover an enormous dent that looked "like a mechanical pencil
>had
>> >punctured the screen."
>> >
>> >http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6
>> >

>> >For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
>> >situation on your unit?
>> >

>> I have one little fella right down in the right hand corner. Not a
>problem and
>> I won't be returning it unless more pop up.
>
>Now do you have an extended warranty? If not, how long would you have
>to return it to get a new one? The normal 90 days?

I have the one year EB's warranty.

Robert P Holley got up from the bar and shouted: :
> PSP Screen Issues Rampant
> Sony says dead pixels aren't a sign of malfunction.
> by Patrick Klepek
> When Jeff McDaniel picked up a PSP from Target yesterday, he didn't
> anticipate it would take three exchanges to find a unit without a
> glaring problem. McDaniels' first PSP had a cluster of five dead pixels
> that "looked like the North Star," and his second contained irremovable
> dust under the screen and a stuck pixel on the left-hand side. Third
> time was not the charm, though; McDaniel inspected his next PSP, only
> to discover an enormous dent that looked "like a mechanical pencil had
> punctured the screen."
>
> http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6
>

> For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
> situation on your unit?

Is this an appropriate time to thank the US for beta testing the PSP
production process before it launches in Europe in June? By then, the
screen manufacture process should be considerably better.. :)

Andrew

Black Shuck wrote:
> Robert P Holley got up from the bar and shouted: :
>
>> PSP Screen Issues Rampant
>> Sony says dead pixels aren't a sign of malfunction.
>> by Patrick Klepek
>> When Jeff McDaniel picked up a PSP from Target yesterday, he didn't
>> anticipate it would take three exchanges to find a unit without a
>> glaring problem. McDaniels' first PSP had a cluster of five dead pixels
>> that "looked like the North Star," and his second contained irremovable
>> dust under the screen and a stuck pixel on the left-hand side. Third
>> time was not the charm, though; McDaniel inspected his next PSP, only
>> to discover an enormous dent that looked "like a mechanical pencil had
>> punctured the screen."
>>
>> http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6
>>

>> For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
>> situation on your unit?
>>

> Is this an appropriate time to thank the US for beta testing the PSP
> production process before it launches in Europe in June? By then, the
> screen manufacture process should be considerably better.. :)

That's what we thought about Japan!

--

Andrew

"Andrew" <yogig@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Black Shuck wrote:
>> Robert P Holley got up from the bar and shouted: :
>>
>>> PSP Screen Issues Rampant
>>> Sony says dead pixels aren't a sign of malfunction.
>>> by Patrick Klepek
>>> When Jeff McDaniel picked up a PSP from Target yesterday, he didn't
>>> anticipate it would take three exchanges to find a unit without a
>>> glaring problem. McDaniels' first PSP had a cluster of five dead pixels
>>> that "looked like the North Star," and his second contained irremovable
>>> dust under the screen and a stuck pixel on the left-hand side. Third
>>> time was not the charm, though; McDaniel inspected his next PSP, only
>>> to discover an enormous dent that looked "like a mechanical pencil had
>>> punctured the screen."
>>>
>>> http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6
>>>

>>> For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
>>> situation on your unit?
>>>

>> Is this an appropriate time to thank the US for beta testing the PSP
>> production process before it launches in Europe in June? By then, the
>> screen manufacture process should be considerably better.. :)
>>

> That's what we thought about Japan!

That isn't going to help with the dead pixel problem since it is a fairly
common occurence with LCD screens. I have a feeling that it will always be
the case with the DS and the PSP and no amount of time will correct it.
> --
>
> Andrew

I have no dead pixels, but do have a tiny dimple in the screen mid
left-hand side. It's only noticable if the PSP is held at an extreme
angle, so it's a keeper. I did pay $25 for EB's warranty, though. I
think it's a good policy to do this on a first run of a new product.

"Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> <brun132001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What is the dent problem?
>
> Its been described by some as a tiny circular hole about 1mm in size maybe
> smaller, like an inward bubble.

I have about 3 of these right next to each other. There very tiny though.
Only way it affects the picture is when tilted and theres like a shining
star effect. But during gaming play its not noticable since I dont play it
tilted.
Im not taking it back though. I dont want to get something worse. I have
only one stuck pixel it looks like and its to the right of the middle which
doesnt bother me unless I stare at it for a moment. Which i dont when
playing.

On 3/28/05 1:16 PM, in article
1112037372.239189.181360@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "Robert P Holley"
<holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:

> MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>> In article <1112034971.113730.96920@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>> holleyrp@delanet.com says...
>>>
>>> PSP Screen Issues Rampant
>>> Sony says dead pixels aren't a sign of malfunction.
>>> by Patrick Klepek
>>> When Jeff McDaniel picked up a PSP from Target yesterday, he didn't
>>> anticipate it would take three exchanges to find a unit without a
>>> glaring problem. McDaniels' first PSP had a cluster of five dead
> pixels
>>> that "looked like the North Star," and his second contained
> irremovable
>>> dust under the screen and a stuck pixel on the left-hand side. Third
>>> time was not the charm, though; McDaniel inspected his next PSP,
> only
>>> to discover an enormous dent that looked "like a mechanical pencil
> had
>>> punctured the screen."
>>>
>>> http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139152&did=6
>>>

>>> For the folks here in this group who own a PSP, what's the pixel
>>> situation on your unit?
>>>

>> I have one little fella right down in the right hand corner. Not a
> problem and
>> I won't be returning it unless more pop up.
>
> Now do you have an extended warranty? If not, how long would you have
> to return it to get a new one? The normal 90 days?

Isn't the return period for electronic items 30 days (in the U.S.)? You do a
get a 1 year warranty from Sony and dead pixels/air bubbles would be a
manufacturing defect but you would have to go through the hassle of mailing
the unit to Sony and waiting for a new to be sent to you. OTOH, this is why
stores allow the 30 day period to return items that go bad since during this
time is if there is a manufacturing defect most times it will show within
the first 30 days (if not immediatley.)

RickB