I5-2400 Tempurature Question

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Hey everyone,

I stress tested my i5-2400 (Stock Cooling) today using prime 95 In-Large FFTs. Have it on a mini-itx mobo in a Fractal Design Define mini with an extra intake fan (total 2 intake, 1 exhaust). After probably two minutes core temp reported:

Core#0: 69
Core#1: 73
Core#2: 73
Core#3: 72

I would say my average idles temps range from 28 to 35. I believe this is due to the small size of my office and the computer warming the ambient up overtime. Regardless I thought these temps were surprising. I know the define runs a bit warmer than most cases. One theory I have is that due to the mini-itx's positioning of the cpu being higher than a micro atx perhaps its not getting enough direct air? Just speculation. When I game I'll get around 57.

Any thoughts on these temps? Are they normal? Are my idle temps normal? Thanks.

Solution
The temperatures that you are facing with the Intel® Core™ i5-2400 are nothing out of the ordinary for this processor under heavy load.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Temps seem a little high imo.

The first thing that I would do is make sure that the stock cooler is mounted properly. You need to make sure that the pins 'snap' into place. It sometimes requires a fair amount of pressure.

remember prime95 puts your cpu under an unrealistic load compared to everyday use so the temps will be high

your idle temps look ok and 57c seems ok for gaming

what are you using to monitor the temps?

i use realtemp as the asus software for my motherboard reports the temps 10c to low

wont hurt though as vollman1 said to check the pins on the cooler--if you can pull them up without twisting them

then not in right

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

Thanks for the reply. These temps are normal even after like 2 minutes? I had to stop the test for fear of high temperatures. I thought maybe my heat sink wasn't on properly.