CPU Heatsink ADVICE NEEDED

Fiftyfifth

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Hope someone can help me! I'm nearly finished my first build but I'm really struggling to make my mind up about a heatsink!

My current build is as follows:

CoolerMaster 430 Elite case (can fit 6 fans)

Intel i5 2500k
Asus P8Z68-vLX Mobo
Corsair XMS 4 x 4GB 1600MHz
Asus GeForce GTX 560ti DCII 900MHz
CoolerMaster GX650 psu

1 x CoolerMaster 140mm fan
3 x Noctua 140mm fan

My system currently idles at about 35 - 40c but when I'm playing BF3 my cpu temp is getting as high as 80c and is usually around 60-70c in gameplay.

My first choice is Noctua NH-C14.

I am also thinking along the lines of Megahalems (Black edition with two sets of fan connectors) or similar, which I want to fit two of the 140mm fans to. It's not essential I use my fans on a heatsink was just a thought. If I don't I can just stick them at the base and then I'll get additional Noctua 120s to go at the top. Can you see a theme here...... :p

Not bothered it doesn't have to be Noctua, I'm just looking for something very good - the price needs to be worth it, and something that'll actually fit my case because some of these coolers I've seen (including NH-C14) are BIG.

I'm guessing most people are going to say go with NH-C14 but wanted to see if there are any other really good options (not water) from people that actually know stuff about building PCs because so far It's taken me a while to research the components I wanted to have.. and in hindsight I could have done better (had I even known how to use forums - this is another first for me!).

nna2

Distinguished
the cooler master hyper 212 evo is 30$ and is quite good
when it comes to liquid coolers, the h80 and h100 are both around 100$, h80 requiring 1 120mm slot, and the h100 requiring 2 120mm slots beside eachother

Fiftyfifth

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Seen a lot of recommendations for the 212 but it's kind of a 'mid range' isn't it? if ever you could class a heatsink that way..

I would eventually like to overclock (around the 4gig mark) too so want something going to be able to remain a one off buy, instead of having to upgrade later. I.e. any recommendations for high performers.. or would the 212 evo fit this category?

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
The 212 Evo would most likely allow you to get to 1.35v or so. Probably not more. If your chip is willing, you could easily get to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v.

Your temps would most likely be in the mid to high 70s 'C though.

The 212 Evo is good fit if you are shooting for 4-4.5Ghz.

PMentior

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I second the Corsar H80 or H100. I hae a H100 on my i7-970 (pre SandyBridge so it runs hotter anyway) at 4.2Ghz and at full load encoding bluray rips I run around 60C. Its easy to install and will definately get your temps down and give you plenty of room to overclock later.

I have a buddy that was using the 212+ with a 2600K @ 4.7GHz and it was running fine too (around 70C full load). I hear that the 212 Evo is better than the 212+

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
It all depends on the OP. I have the H100 also and I would recommend it or the H80 easily.

But if the OP only wants to shoot for 4Ghz or so, the 212s would be fine.

If you want performance and max cooling, the H100 with 4 fans is tops short of a custom loop.

Just depends on OP expectations and budget really.

Fiftyfifth

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Thanks for the comment Davcon.

I'm keeping the 212 Evo on my shortlist based solely on the number of people I see recommending 212+s and Evos. I've read comments from someone who has a 430 and say the NH-C14 fits fine in the case so this could be a good option. I've also got Prolimatech Genesis as an option now and from a review I've read this heatsink beats NH-C14 by a few degrees, but I'm going to need to look at the dimension of this heatsink when I have time.

If anyone has a Genesis comments on this heatsinks performance and size would be appreciated!

Fiftyfifth

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Thanks again Davcon, your very much more advanced knowledge of computers dictates a top tier cooler isn't necessary but it wasn't common sense to me :) I'll probably look into getting one of the CMs you recommended. Really appreciate the advice!

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
the noctua is overkill but if you want to spend the money for it then its your choice. I have a cm 212+ that I picked up at canada computers for $20 and keeps my q6600 idling at around 30 and during 3 days of prime95 at 3.0ghz it never surpassed 60 with only the stock fan pushing air through it. with the 212s you can always add aonther fan for a push/pull set up to achieve some very impressive cooling.

Fiftyfifth

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Thanks for the response. In the end, after a bit more research; I got the NH-P12 SE2 heatsink. I'm really happy with my decision. For one, the overall 'look' of my build is good because all my fans match each other, as well as match my mobo - though I didn't plan that.

The main reason I'm happy is because my temps are good, I'm getting 30'c idle and 50'c on load ~ BF3 Ultra settings. My temps did get up to 57'c yesterday but I was doing some hardcore editing and using about 12 gig RAM. The other major benefit and one of the ultimate deciders for me in buying this heatsink was the inclusion of two fans; because I needed one more 120mm for my side panel anyway.. so the overall outcome was perfect!

I've attached links to pics of my build on another link; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/339647-13-good-build-good-price-next but I'll attach them below here too. If you have any opinions on my other post, I'd gladly welcome feedback :)

Slideshow:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97224 [...] 3011/show/

Thanks

Fiftyfifth

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Thanks for the response. In the end, after a bit more research; I got the NH-P12 SE2 heatsink. I'm really happy with my decision. For one, the overall 'look' of my build is good because all my fans match each other, as well as match my mobo - though I didn't plan that.

The main reason I'm happy is because my temps are good, I'm getting 30'c idle and 50'c on load ~ BF3 Ultra settings. My temps did get up to 57'c yesterday but I was doing some hardcore editing and using about 12 gig RAM. The other major benefit and one of the ultimate deciders for me in buying this heatsink was the inclusion of two fans; because I needed one more 120mm for my side panel anyway.. so the overall outcome was perfect!

I've attached links to pics of my build on another link; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/foru [...] price-next but I'll attach them below here too. If you have any opinions on my other post, I'd gladly welcome feedback :)

Slideshow:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97224 [...] 3011/show/

Thanks

Fiftyfifth

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Sorry, don't know why that link didn't work.. the one on my other post works ok.

Fiftyfifth

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

As aforementioned; I have already purchased and fitted an NH-P12 SE2. Really happy with it, fits well too! Because of the tight spacing at the top I've been able to use the 140mm top mounted fan as a kind of second heatsink fan because it only has about 5mm spacing between it and the heatsink. In fact I've wired it in to the CPU with a Y cable so the two can work together. The only trick was getting everything back in the case! Tight squeeze, but a bit of patience saw me through :)