Is there any point in buying a faster cpu (gaming)

brandesimo

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Hello, I have talked to my friends dad who builds pc's and such and he told me that there isn't really much point spending too much on your cpu because cpu's do everything like in mili seconds anyway so I was wondering if A, he is right and B, do those mili seconds help towards 'better in game frames'?
To put this into context should I buy something like Phenom x4 or go and pay extra for an i5.
Thanks for reading>.^

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Whoever told you that, please ignore. It made no sense?

Processors made 20 years ago were able to do the same, so why don't I just play my games on a 20 year old processor?

He was wrong, there are big differences between processors.

To answer your question, i5 will be more future proof than the Phenom. So the i5 will be better to purchase.

the i5 is more than enough for cpu tasks in games, you'd be better off buying a more powerful gpu.

spending 2x as much on gpu as you do on cpu gives you the best performance in gaming.

brandesimo

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

Ahh yes, I see your point. Can I ask how much of an game frame rate increase would I really see from The i5?
say if i was playing crysis on a 560 ti with 4 gb ram?(since thats probably what ill be going with)

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

He if told you that, he probably should not be building PC's. The CPU is extremely important, most of the software workload is handled by your CPU. In games, the CPU is once again extremely important. Some functions of games or software rely more heavily on CPU power, some on GPU power. A fine balance between the two is optimal.

mkristian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I use the most budget quad core in the phenom range which technically is an athlon. That is a 3.2ghz 840 x4 quad. I use it at stock with a gtx 560 ti stock and really i can play any game there is more or less at max, skyrim at complete max, cyrsis 2 maxed at very very nice rates.

So yes a phenom II will do the job just fine, however if i were you i would get an i5 just because it will last you a fair while longer. Whilst my budget cpu does the job just fine, i can see where a more powerful cpu would be advantageous, especially in online games where the influx of information can at times make my FPS slip awfully close to 60FPS which can ruin the fluidity if it ever goes beneath that mark, which it rarely does but still. A year on i do not regret buying this cpu at all for 100 dollars, but at this point in time i would dish out for the i5 so i wouldn't have to worry about upgrading for a while.

If you are on a tight budget though, get a decent phenom ii black edition so u can OC that thing if you really need to which will prolong its life, and don't spend much time on thinking what if because it will do the job. It all comes down to your budget.