Sign in with
Your question

PSU Providing enough power for a recent upgrade?

Last response: in Components
February 22, 2012 9:23:55 PM

Good evening,

Recently I bought myself a new graphics card and increased the ram for my gaming PC that I built last year. I've had it about 13 months now. The PC itself has been used almost every single day for 13 months.

These are the specs originally

Asus M4A87TD/USB3
AMD Phenom Quad Core Processor
320GB Seagate HD
Corsair DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.65V (2x 4GB)
Asus 5570 graphics card

All of the above was on a 500 Watt PSU and worked flawlessly

I upgraded the Graphics card pretty substantially from the Asus 5570 to the Sapphire HD 6950 and I also increased the RAM by another 8GB, the ram is identical to the previous RAM.

This evening I was playing a game and it restarted itself. I turned the PC back on in the hope that it was just a coincidence but shortly after booting up it did it again.

First thoughts were it must be overheating, so I immediately unplugged it and hovered out the PC, although it wasn't very dusty because I hover it out every few months anyway, and let it stand with the sides off for 10 minutes or so to get some air.

That didn't fix the problem, so my second thought must be the power supply, when it was booting a few times it would make some crackily sounds that sounded very much like they were coming from the PSU but I can't be sure. After one of the reboots, as it was booting up it sounded like it was coming from the PSU, and was quite loud so I immediately unplugged it.

What I'm here to ask is is that 500 Watt PSU powerful enough for the recent upgrades? I installed the upgrades a week ago today and it has been working fine for a week. Is the PSU not powerful enough for the spec of the PC now? Is the PSU faulty or is the issue not PSU related at all. I do not feel this problem is a overheating issue as it's running at the moment fairly cool and is working, but I fear it could reboot any second, PSU is no longer making any sounds either.

As a side note, recently the extension lead that my PC was plugged into, died. I'm not sure if it has just fused or is totally dead, I can't check that at this time. I have also changed the IEC lead to the PSU but it appears not to have made a difference.

Thanks for any help
a c 1174 ) Power supply
a c 545 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 9:36:09 PM

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6950 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

What is the make and model of your 500 Watt PSU?
m
l
February 22, 2012 9:41:39 PM

It's a Coolermaster RS-500-PCAP-A3
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2012 9:53:08 PM

ko888 said:
For a system using a single Radeon HD 6950 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

What is the make and model of your 500 Watt PSU?

m
l
a c 1174 ) Power supply
a c 545 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 10:15:14 PM

xninfox said:

The Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W (RS-500-PCAP-A3) is a horrible power supply unit.

It is an old design with Passive PFC with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and only one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

If the load on that power supply is 80% or higher (i.e. starting at 400 Watts), its ripple and noise level is way out of spec (i.e. above the maximum allowed by the ATX specifications).

Excessive ripple and noise level will rapidly degrade the electrolytic capacitors within the power supply unit itself, on the motherboard and on the graphics card eventually causing them to fail.

You moved up from a 39 Watt card to a 240 Watt card which is a huge power requirement increase.

I would recommend that you replace that Cooler Master trash with a better quality power supply unit that actually has an adequate +12 Volt continuous current rating and at least two two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.
m
l
February 22, 2012 10:23:58 PM

ko888 said:
The Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W (RS-500-PCAP-A3) is a horrible power supply unit.

It is an old design with Passive PFC with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and only one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

If the load on that power supply is 80% or higher (i.e. starting at 400 Watts), its ripple and noise level is way out of spec (i.e. above the maximum allowed by the ATX specifications).

Excessive ripple and noise level will rapidly degrade the electrolytic capacitors within the power supply unit itself, on the motherboard and on the graphics card eventually causing them to fail.

You moved up from a 39 Watt card to a 240 Watt card which is a huge power requirement increase.

I would recommend that you replace that Cooler Master trash with a better quality power supply unit that actually has an adequate +12 Volt continuous current rating and at least two two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Any suggestions of an adequate one?
m
l
a c 1174 ) Power supply
a c 545 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 10:28:33 PM

xninfox said:
Any suggestions of an adequate one?

What is your power supply budget and where do you usually purchase from (i.e. what country)?

What power supply brands do you have available to you? Antec, Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic, XFX?
m
l
February 22, 2012 10:37:07 PM

ko888 said:
What is your power supply budget and where do you usually purchase from (i.e. what country)?

What power supply brands do you have available to you? Antec, Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic, XFX?

United Kingdom as a country, budget of up to £100. I usually use a website called Ebuyer.co.uk for my PC. I believe all of the above brands are available on that website.

Also, I was looking at another Coolermaster PSU (Coolermaster GX 650 - http://www.ebuyer.com/200491-coolermaster-gx-650w-psu-r...)

I know you don't like Coolermaster PSU's but as a comparison between that one, and my current PSU what kind of difference would that make?
m
l
a c 276 ) Power supply
a c 195 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 10:46:26 PM

The cooler master GX series is crap compared to similarly priced units, above 70% load their ripple goes out of spec. They aren't as crappy as the Cooler Master eXtreme Power plus units but that is a really low bar to clear.

For the exact same price you can pick up an XFX 650 W unit which is actually a good unit and is capable of providing its rated power and staying in spec.
http://www.ebuyer.com/241554-xfx-pro-650w-core-edition-...
m
l
a c 1174 ) Power supply
a c 545 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 10:57:02 PM

When HARDOCP was testing the Cooler Master GX 650W (RS650-ACAA-E3) for their review the power supply actually died during load testing. Would you trust a power supply that does that? Also that model has been discontinued and replaced by the RS-650-ACAA-D3

http://hardocp.com/article/2010/11/22/cooler_master_gx_...

The OCZ ZS Series 650W for £55.00inc. vat is considerably better.

http://www.ebuyer.com/264511-ocz-zs-series-650w-80-bron...

Also the XFX Pro 650W Core Edition recommended by hunter315 is good.
m
l
February 22, 2012 11:11:23 PM

ko888 said:
When HARDOCP was testing the Cooler Master GX 650W (RS650-ACAA-E3) for their review the power supply actually died during load testing. Would you trust a power supply that does that? Also that model has been discontinued and replaced by the RS-650-ACAA-D3

http://hardocp.com/article/2010/11/22/cooler_master_gx_...

The OCZ ZS Series 650W for £55.00inc. vat is considerably better.

http://www.ebuyer.com/264511-ocz-zs-series-650w-80-bron...

Also the XFX Pro 650W Core Edition recommended by hunter315 is good.

So, Not the coolermaster then.

OCZ ZS Series 650W or the XFX Pro 650W Core Edition?
m
l
a c 1174 ) Power supply
a c 545 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 11:14:29 PM

xninfox said:
So, Not the coolermaster then.

OCZ ZS Series 650W or the XFX Pro 650W Core Edition?

Yes. Both are vastly superior to any of the Cooler Master models mentioned.
m
l
February 22, 2012 11:17:25 PM

ko888 said:
Yes. Both are vastly superior to any of the Cooler Master models mentioned.

Sorry, I meant which is better out of the two in your opinion?
m
l
a c 1174 ) Power supply
a c 545 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 11:22:22 PM

xninfox said:
Sorry, I meant which is better out of the two in your opinion?

The XFX ProSeries 650W Core Edition Full Wired (Bronze) P1-650S-NLB9, would be my choice, since it has a higher +12 Volt continuous current rating and four PCI Express supplementary power connectors.
m
l
February 22, 2012 11:27:49 PM

ko888 said:
The XFX ProSeries 650W Core Edition Full Wired (Bronze) P1-650S-NLB9, would be my choice, since it has a higher +12 Volt continuous current rating and four PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Great.

Thanks so much for your help, I feel more knowledgeable about PSU's now, and wont make the same mistake of buying a crappy one again, will do some proper research in the future.

Thanks again
m
l
February 22, 2012 11:51:57 PM

ko888 said:

Oh, I actually have another brief question.

I have a 20+4 pin cable from my power supply to the motherboard, and I just noticed that the +4 pin part was not plugged in. I don't suppose this could be the reason for the issues I am experiencing? I plugged it back in a couple of hours ago and since then the PC hasn't restarted itself.. touch wood.
m
l
a c 1174 ) Power supply
a c 545 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 11:56:59 PM

xninfox said:
Oh, I actually have another brief question.

I have a 20+4 pin cable from my power supply to the motherboard, and I just noticed that the +4 pin part was not plugged in. I don't suppose this could be the reason for the issues I am experiencing? I plugged it back in a couple of hours ago and since then the PC hasn't restarted itself.. touch wood.

Yes it can be the cause of your problems.

Those 4-pins, that you didn't have plugged in, would have supplied extra power to the motherboard chipset and memory.
m
l
July 19, 2012 6:57:39 AM

im prety much having the same problem recently i upgraded my graphics card from radeon hd 5450 to hd 6950
and my computer was working fine for 2days then i was playing a game and the computer went dead and it wont turn on only power on indicator flashes one time after discharging the 500watt power suply can anyone please help me thanks
m
l
!