Sign in with
Your question

70GB used after Fresh Install?

Last response: in Memory
December 29, 2012 4:44:23 AM

I just built a new gaming system and I bought the Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD hard drive. I had an OCZ before this, and after fresh install I would maybe have 20GB used.

Intel's SSD (it's a SATA3) is telling me I'ved used 70GB already! What's going on? This can't be right! I just booted the computer and this is a brand new HD from NewEgg.

I'm using the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard.

Thanks!

More about : 70gb fresh install

January 1, 2013 5:07:55 PM

hmmmm well I'm not sure but on old magnetic drives the data was never precise but that would not be the case of SSDs. Windows formatting usually takes away about 1 to 10 GB for backup and recovery partitioning, and 20 gb for formatting but still, that would only be 40 to 50GB used up. I would reformat and reinstall one more time.
m
l
January 4, 2013 7:14:32 AM

Another thing you have to look at is the page file. More than likely, it set up a HUGE page file. You can easily change the size of this without having to to reinstall, so i would check it first.
start>right-click "my computer" and click properties>click advanced system settings>click settings under performance>go to advanced tab. Under advanced look at virtual memory and look what the size is.
m
l
Related resources
!