Am2+ upgrading question

Spectrol77

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I'm running windows 7 32 bit OS on an am2+ motherboard (a770de+ ASRock) with AMD Athlon 64 FX-62. I'm ugrading by simply replacing the chip to an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz. No other changes will be made. At the moment I'm using the latest bios version my motherboard has available. Should I expect a need to reinstall my windows due to the hardware change (dual to quad core)? Or will the new chip be a quick replacement without much trouble?

g-unit1111

Titan
AMD has pretty much used the same socket design for years. AM2 and AM3 aren't really that much different size wise. Where the differences lie is in the architecture of the chip itself, but I don't really know the mechanics that well and I can't really explain a lot about how that works.

If you want to avoid trouble I'd suggest contacting your motherboard manufacturer to make sure that chip is compatible before buying it. The X4 is also a 64-bit CPU, I'm not sure it will run adequately on a 32-bit OS without the proper drivers, but I was using my X6 on Win XP for several months before switching it to 7.

Spectrol77

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks for both replies. I was thinking it'd be quick and easy, but I have no formal knowledge, just enough to get me by most of the time. If there was a hiccup w/the 32 bit OS I'd be adding some ram (only 4gigs atm...) and getting the 64 bit loaded up. Not much of a budget atm, but the chip has already been purchased.

Thanks again.