Periodic fps loss in almost any game thats played

skuf

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me? basically the issue i'm having is this: Every game I play games I get periodic fps loss which lasts about 5-15 seconds per cycle (no fixed time between each fps loss cycle its just happening randomly from what I gather) my system specs are as follows

AMD 965 Black Edition (Stock speed so 3.4ghz)
ATI HiS 6850 (also stock speeds)
8gig Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333mhz
ASRock M3A UCC AMD 480x (cheapish motherboard I got to replace my gigabyte as a temp, I actually replaced the motherboard because I thought thats what was causing it in the first place)
HDD Hitachi 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - 7200rpm 64MB Cache

Running windows 7 home premium 64x, graphics drivers are the latest 11.10.

Worth noting this happens with older less system taxing games and not just new ones, for example, counter-strike/team fortress 2/WoW. I'm really stumped as to what it can be, my temps are abit higher than the average thats due to a poor airflow case (which is being replaced this week with a Zalman Z9) the temps arent at a critical point however, we're talking 70-mid 80's tops.

All that said I know its not the best system in the world but it should be able to run any game I currently play on maximum settings without any issues which is why this is all frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

skuf

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
1920x1080 resolution and video memory is 1GB. As for the FPS loss it varies from game to game, talking anywhere from 5-15 FPS while its slowed down, while everything is normal 70-120fps in majority of the games.

skuf

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
currentspeedsandtemp.jpg

that is current gfx card settings/temp, no idea if that looks out of place i'm fairly new when it comes to the technical workings of it all.

You only experience a 5-15 FPS drop out of a 70-120FPS? That's still quite good (if every option is set to max).

Is the drop noticeable? As long as your getting at least 60FPS - that is

I think the problem your having is due to the 1GB limitation of your VCard. Playing at and HD level (1080P) with maximum graphics settings is probably filling your 1GB of VRAM quite quickly.

skuf

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

no no, what I meant is it drops to 5-15fps not loses only 5-15fps. you might be right about the card, although it wouldnt explain why old games like counter-strike 1.6 do it :/ talking about a 10 year old game there.

the power supply is Corsair TX 650w.

skuf

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
full specs of the graphics card if this helps

HiS ATI 6850
Product Code H685F1GD
EAN Code 4895139004601
Cooler Fan
GPU 6850
Core Clock 775 MHz
Memory Clock 4000 MHz
Memory Size 1024 MB
Memory Type GDDR5
Memory Interface 256 bit
Interface PCI Express x16 (PCI Express 2.1)

Hmm very odd.

I understand the 11.11 drivers are out - have you tried updating to that yet?

On a different note - Asrock motherboards as of late haven't been very good. So it's hard to tell what is going on with your system if your dropping to the low 10-15FPS - which sounds quite unreasonable.

Your power supply seems enough for your set up - and you haven't been getting any weird shut downs, which is somewhat of a good sign.

What you can try doing is - if you have a game running, also open up your TASK manager while playing. Once you start to see the drops in FPS - try pausing your game then go into your task manager on your desktop - see if theres any programs stealing CPU cycles.

Edit: one more thing. Try setting your Power Options to "High Performance" in your Power options plan (if it isn't already).

Also - try disabling any power saving features in your BIOS.

skuf

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

I'll give that a go tomorrow, new case is arriving so about to turn the PC off for today and get it ready to move over. Will let you know what happens tomorrow.

skuf

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
After changing cases this issues seems to be resolved (touch wood) not had any fps dips in the last hour and temps are alot lower than they were so it must have been a heat issue.

skuf

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
This is the case I got btw just incase you were wondering :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-045-OP

I was abit sceptical about getting a website own brand case at first but once I got it I was impressed with the build quality, the only 2 things I can fault on the case is the harddrive cages feel abit flimsy and it doesnt tell you that you actually have to put your dvd drive in before you fit the motherboard, other than that its quite flawless :) good cable management and very spacious.