Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading processor on ASRock 770 Extreme 3

Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2012 7:59:23 AM

I currently have an AMD Phenom II x4 Black Edition processor. I would like to upgrade to a 6(or 8) core processor. The supported CPU list shows the Phenom II X6 as the only upgrade from an Phenom II x4. I'm wondering if they have just neglected updating the list, or if other 6(or 8?) core processors won't work. The Phenom II X6 3.3GHz start at $233, while I could get a 4 GHz 8 core FX-8350 Vishera for $190. At that price, I'd just about upgrade my MOBO at the same time if my current one will only take the Phenom II.

I do quite a bit of video editing, which will max my current CPU out on all 4 cores, even overclocked at 3.7GHz. Of course I'd rather get the faster CPU with more cores, but not to use as a paperweight. ASRock hasn't replied to me yet (it's been about a week), so hopefully someone here knows.

Thanks,
Jason

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2012 10:46:31 AM

you can try am3+ cpus like fx8150 or 8350 with beta bios update
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/770%20Extreme3/?cat=Beta

but as you can see
Quote:
Please read below information
ASRock Beta version BIOS are designed for the users who are seeking to achieve
the best performance out of their PCs such as gamers, overclocking lovers and PC enthusiasts. However, we don't recommend users to update BIOS while the system is running well. For any damages caused by improper operation of downloading or updating BIOS, ASRock assumes no responsibility. Before you download or update the BIOS, please read below " (How to Update)" carefully.
December 30, 2012 9:23:40 PM

Thank you. I thought I'd read every page on their site about this MOBO, apparently not.

Another question, if I were to purchase the fastest 8 core socket AM3+ processor available and install it without touching the BIOS first, what would happen? Is there any chance the existing BIOS (v 1.9) would support this? Would/could it damage anything if I tried? I'm a little apprehensive to install a beta version of BIOS, but will do it if needed.

EDIT: Another thought... is there an advantage to the PhenomII X6 over the other ones? If the less expensive faster processors can be used in place of them, it seems that there must be an advantage to the PhenomII series? Or is it just that not all motherboards can use the newer ones, so they charge what they can?
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2012 9:23:59 PM

Best answer selected by jason2189.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2012 1:05:52 AM

Quote:
Another question, if I were to purchase the fastest 8 core socket AM3+ processor available and install it without touching the BIOS first, what would happen? Is there any chance the existing BIOS (v 1.9) would support this? Would/ could it damage anything if I tried? I'm a little apprehensive to install a beta version of BIOS, but will do it if needed.

there are some chances that your pc may not boot if you try unsupported cpu (as they are totally different architectures)

so first try to update bios then you can update to am3+ cpus (me too using latest beta bios on my gigabyte board (bios FGb) without any issue, just for testing beta bioses :p  )

also make sure (from asrock) if beta bios does support new 2nd gen fx cpus (just to be sure)
though 1st gen fx and second gen fx are almost same architecture so they should

Quote:
EDIT: Another thought... is there an advantage to the PhenomII X6 over the other ones? If the less expensive faster processors can be used in place of them, it seems that there must be an advantage to the PhenomII series? Or is it just that not all motherboards can use the newer ones, so they charge what they can?

according to my rough calculations, phenom 2 x6 1090t is 20-25% slower than fx-8350 (at stock clocks) in multi threaded tasks like compression, video transcoding

in phenom to phenom comparision
for eg 1035t vs 1100t , they runs at 2.6ghz and 3.3ghz and you can clock 1100t to 4ghz easily but you can't do the same with 1035t (barely 3.25ghz)
though in phenom series phenom 2 1090t is having more value for money

(in case of closing of this thread you may send me pm (personal message) for more assistannce by clicking that 'mail' icon under my username :)  )
m
l
!