Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Rig Parts Debate - $1200 Target

Last response: in Systems
November 22, 2011 12:12:35 AM

Purchased CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K $200
Definitely worth the savings, thanks a lot for all of your advice.

Purchased Memory: G.Skill RipJaws Series 240-pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 2x4Gb $30

Purchased Power Supply: Mushkin Enhanced 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Certified $110

Purchased Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced $100
Marketed toward the under-21 crowd or not, the price was right for me.

Purchased SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120Gb SATA III SSD $120
I originally said I would wait for SSD's to be ~$1/Gb, and that's exactly what I got here.

----

My total from all of the above comes in at $560. Even if I overestimate my video card and mobo to cost $600, i'll still beat my original $1200 target while getting an SSD that wasn't originally planned.

The parts I have left:

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 LGA 1155 ~$175
Awaiting the weekend to see if a better price surfaces. Also considering the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, or other suggestions, but all would have to beat the price set by the ASRock above, or come with a good explanation as to why I should reconsider.

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 ~$350
Awaiting the weekend to see if any better prices come in. Might still consider the AMD Radeon 6970 should it come in a reasonably better price.

----

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/help/replies. Have really enjoyed stumbling upon this site, and hope to give back as I can.

EDIT #1: Updated power supply based on inzone's recommendation
EDIT #2: Removed sound card consideration, Updated RAM selection,
EDIT #3: Updated processor based on recommendation
EDIT #4: Updated based on purchases
November 22, 2011 1:00:53 AM

This is one of the longer post I have encountered in this forum. Your build seems to be well thought out , however there are two components that I would disagree with and the first is the power supply. Having said that you will be overclocking and possibly going with SLI at some point , you have to make a choice to get the power supply that you will need for that either now or later. You know what the prices are now but you do not know what they will be later. I know you will be buying from Amazon but I will use Newegg links because it is easier for me. I have been building my own computers for a long time and I have always used Antec psu's and had great service from them and the one time I decided to try another brand I got burned. So that is the reason I will always recomend Antec and this one won't break the bank but should give you enough power for all your plans.

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$139.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The second component I will ask you about is the cpu.The difference from the 2500k and the other two top Sandy Bridge cpu's (2600k and 2700k) is hyperthreading. If you feel that you will be taking advantage of the hyperthreading then I can see why you would go with either the 2600k or the 2700k , but if not you would be saving $150 by going with the 2500k. The 2500k can be overclocked to 4.5ghz on air and further on the closed water cooling system from Corsair. If you have one cpu running at 4.5ghz and the other at 4.6ghz are you really going to notice the difference. Intel likes to do this to us by releasing cpu's that have marginal differences in clock speed. If they were to set the 2500k at 3.4ghz and then release the 2600k at 3.9ghz and then the 2700k at 4.3ghz , now I can see why people will choose one over the other. But they don't the 2500k is 3.3ghz , the 2600k is 3.4ghz and the 2700k is 3.5ghz and there is a $150 difference in price from the 2500k to the 2700k and the only other difference is hyperthreading.
So what I would do if I were you is get the 2500k and take the $150 and throw it in the video card and get a GTX 580 , that way it would be longer before you had to go to SLI.

November 22, 2011 1:21:49 AM

^+1
When it comes to media editting if its not CAD, 3D design/rendering I would stick with the i5.

I would drop your RAM down to 8GB DDR3 1600, 1866 is pointless for you.

I also wouldnt advise a sound card, onboard sound is good enough with some speakers but its up to you
Related resources
November 22, 2011 1:41:40 AM

Thanks for your time and advice.

I will follow your recommendation, inzone, and get the better power supply. With the minimal difference in price, I agree that it is better to just have it and be done with it.

As for the CPU, I believe most of the Adobe's applications are programmed to take advantage of hyperthreading. I rely on Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash for work, and felt I would be able to take advantage of the hyperthreading, and selected my processor accordingly. However, I get by fine on my current system, and so not having hyperthreading would not be the end of the world for me, I just found it within my budget, so I opted for it. I just wasn't sure if the 2600K was fine or if the ~$50 extra for the 2700K was worth it. I will reconsider the 2500K, however, based on your recommendation.

Emelth, I was considering the sound card solely in case I ever wanted to connect this system to my Onkyo receiver. I have not looked into whether or not it would be best to do this through a sound card or through what method. The receiver has HDMI and digital audio inputs.
November 22, 2011 1:41:50 AM

i agree with previous comments , get the 2500k and a decent cooler and buy an ssd or upgrade to a 580 with the money
November 22, 2011 1:48:04 AM

What you should get for simple gaming spec:

2700k(Fastest Quad Core in the WORLD! or at least until IvyBridge comes in)

8GB DDR3 1600MHz: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (This RAM will give you a noticeable performance from a 9-9-9-24 to 7-8-7-24 @ 1600MHz) Also, Tighter timing gives better performance than the speed but dont get those 1333MHz- because they are worthless performer even with tightest timing possible...

Those VideoCard is worthless IF you play high-end gaming such as BF3 and MW3 which use more than 1GB or even more than 1.5GB of VRAM at 1920x1080+ resolution... As your videocard aged, your 1.2GB is worthless and will give you bad quality game play... This card should do the trick...
or a cheaper one which should be able to play at 1920x1080(Max on most or even all) but not any higher resolution...
BTW, NEVER EVER get OCed cards because they are waste of money and you can do it by yourself unless you want higher OC, get the OCed ones but only if you want too...

EDIT: Bottom line is that if you plan on running future games at high or ultra high resolution then you will need a card with more than 1.5GB of memory.
Currently BF3 (beta) uses 1.5GB of ram at ultra setting @1920x1080

Got these from the "Customer Reviews" on the link of Evga GTx 570 2.5GB VRAM... They will list everything of why you need this(GTx 570 2.5GB) card!!!
November 22, 2011 1:58:48 AM

^ ur suggestions are worthless
why would u suggest getting 8 Gb of RAm in 4 sticks???
also 560Ti 2gb is not better then 570 1.25Gb at 1080p
even 6950 1Gb outperforms 6950 2gb at 1080p
at that resolution it won't matter as long as u play on one monitor ..on the other hand if u plan on sli or CF get 2gb version
and for CPU just stick with 2500k and use that money for SSD
November 22, 2011 3:25:03 AM

madchemist83 said:
^ ur suggestions are worthless
why would u suggest getting 8 Gb of RAm in 4 sticks???
also 560Ti 2gb is not better then 570 1.25Gb at 1080p
even 6950 1Gb outperforms 6950 2gb at 1080p
at that resolution it won't matter as long as u play on one monitor ..on the other hand if u plan on sli or CF get 2gb version
and for CPU just stick with 2500k and use that money for SSD

If your saying using 4 stick is a problem, than explain how you would use the other 2 slots? not like it's ganna be used...

I did not ever said that 560ti 2GB is better than 570... I SAID 570 2GB IS BETTER THAN 570 1.2GB YOU RETARD... THE CHEAPER VERSION IS THE 560Ti 2GB... Would you get a 256MB video card or a 512MB video card, of course you'll get the 512MB because 256mb is worthless you ****... Playing on one monitor at 1920x1080 is a problem when having 1.2GB if you ever played BF3 b4, you'll lag like *** when it's using some/most of your RAM(OR HDD which is a big lag)

for the CPU, stick with the i3-2120(Saves $90) until IvyBridge comes in about few months(3-6 months), the i3 will not bottleneck your GPU so dont complain about it as it is fast enough to handle most games... BF3 is using 30% of my i7 950 average and maxed around 40% and it is said that i3 will game better than my i7 950...
November 22, 2011 3:33:01 AM

Cause two sticks are faster then 4. That's why its called dual chanel. And u did suggest to get 560ti 2gb over 570 1.25gb. Also shut it or ull get reported.
@ op
Probably better to go for 2600k as u might use hyper threading
November 22, 2011 4:12:13 AM

Your motherboard choice is fine. I have actualy seen this board much cheaper than what you have here. 25-35 dollars cheaper, please shop around

CPU
If you are going to do a lot of media converting then this is what you want.
The 2700 isn't worth even 20 dollars more just overclock.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 ~$350
This is a clear choice in your budget. Which version you get is the bigger decision.
asus, MSI or EVGA are all fine choices.

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 240-pin SDRAM DDR3 1866 2x4Gb ~$70
Get cheaper RAM, that is all, unless you are looking at 16 GB.

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900 Watt ~$140
Nothing wrong with this PSU at all but it may be more than you will need even for SLI 570's but the price is great !

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ~$140
It is very functional. A good choice but look at something not geard to the under 21 crowd unless it applies.

Sound Card: You don't need this the motherboard supports 7.1 surround sound

PS buy an SSD 120 GB with a read and write speeds ver 400mbps.

Time and time again everyone I knows preaches this.
November 22, 2011 6:47:58 AM

madchemist83 said:
Cause two sticks are faster then 4. That's why its called dual chanel. And u did suggest to get 560ti 2gb over 570 1.25gb. Also shut it or ull get reported.
@ op
Probably better to go for 2600k as u might use hyper threading

I did suggest the 560Ti 2GB over the 570 1.2GB BECAUSE OF MEMORY... IDK what your ganna report me for but just shut the F up about this Shish already...

The Fastest Quad Core in the world is currently the 2700k which is better than SB-E... IvyBridge is ganna replace the SB for the Socket LGA 1155 as will with PCI-E 3.0 support as SB dont have it... Best if you get i3 now and upgrade later so you dont waste the 2500k or any other expensive CPU...
November 22, 2011 7:08:42 AM

legendkiller said:

The Fastest Quad Core in the world is currently the 2700k which is better than SB-E

Hmm what? the 2700K isn't better than 3960X.
November 22, 2011 7:14:13 AM

Wow a lot of interesting things have gone on since I was last in here but anyway...

LegendKiller just watch your language we are all here to help people cause we like doing it, dont want to get banned for a stupid reason, now do you?

I also have to agree that using dual channel memory is much better than a 4x1GB sticks. I would also say that its probably expensive compared to 2x2GB sticks. For 1.2k Rig I would deffinetly go for 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM that is 1.5V.

VRAM on GPUs, if your not doing dual monitor setup or more go for the one with lesser VRAM. It would be a waste of money to bump up for the 2GB or whatnot for a single monitor setup.

@OP
If you want to go for the i7 2600K go ahead but a lot of us have advised not to, which should mean something. However if you can find a place that says it will benefit off of hyperthreading then post the website here so we can all see.

About the sound card dont really know what an Okyo reciever is so I will leave that up to you or another person to answer that question or decide.

Edited: Added link and information below

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $45.00

Much better choice than a $95 quad channel setup
November 22, 2011 11:25:18 AM

spentshells said:
Your motherboard choice is fine. I have actualy seen this board much cheaper than what you have here. 25-35 dollars cheaper, please shop around

I definitely plan to shop around, I just listed estimate prices, so that alternate suggestions would remain in the price range, rather than being suggested $250 motherboards or something.

spentshells said:
CPU
If you are going to do a lot of media converting then this is what you want.
The 2700 isn't worth even 20 dollars more just overclock.

I do some converting, which is why I originally selected the 2700K, but I am reconsidering now. Like I said, my current system has been acceptable for my needs, so it's not like I'd die without the hyperthreading. It was within my original budget, so I thought I'd get it. It was like "get the 2700K, and never have to wonder 'what-if'".

spentshells said:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 ~$350
This is a clear choice in your budget. Which version you get is the bigger decision.
asus, MSI or EVGA are all fine choices.

I planned to get EVGA, just personal preference. Their lifetime warranty was probably the most influential, as the MSI and Asus that I looked at were listed at 3 years for warranty.

spentshells said:
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 240-pin SDRAM DDR3 1866 2x4Gb ~$70
Get cheaper RAM, that is all, unless you are looking at 16 GB.

RAM has been updated based on recommendations. I originally was unsure of the real world implications between 1600 and 1866, so I again opted for the higher as it fit in my budget still.

spentshells said:
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900 Watt ~$140
Nothing wrong with this PSU at all but it may be more than you will need even for SLI 570's but the price is great !

I was looking at Corsair TX750 originally for $115, so I'll gladly pay $25 for something that I know will have me covered for my planned usage versus something that might cut it close.

spentshells said:
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ~$140
It is very functional. A good choice but look at something not geard to the under 21 crowd unless it applies.

I just sorted a list by most reviews on Newegg and picked the first one that met my needs - the first one. Any suggestions would be strongly considered. Lights don't really do anything for me at all.

spentshells said:
Sound Card: You don't need this the motherboard supports 7.1 surround sound

Sound card was more for my information, still trying to figure out how I would go about connecting this system to my Onkyo home theater receiver if I ever felt the need to.

spentshells said:
PS buy an SSD 120 GB with a read and write speeds ver 400mbps.

I do plan to upgrade to an SSD, but I figure that is something I will do when the prices drop more. Really don't like the idea of spending $2/Gb when I could (theoretically) wait and get it closer to even $1.50, or find it on sale. With a good drive already in hand, I'm not sure it warrants spending the money initially.

Emelth said:
I also have to agree that using dual channel memory is much better than a 4x1GB sticks. I would also say that its probably expensive compared to 2x2GB sticks. For 1.2k Rig I would deffinetly go for 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM that is 1.5V.

@OP
If you want to go for the i7 2600K go ahead but a lot of us have advised not to, which should mean something. However if you can find a place that says it will benefit off of hyperthreading then post the website here so we can all see.

I have heeded the advice for the 2500K, but will be spending some time over the next day or two looking to see the benefit I would get from the 2600K, particularly with apps such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Premiere, and Soundbooth. If I find anything worth sharing, I will. For now, I've left the 2700K listed, though I would be getting the 2500K if buying today.
November 22, 2011 2:02:43 PM

ryan24 said:
you can save some money by going with this case-
read the reviews.
i7(2600k or 2700k)has hyper threading but underestimate the power of 2500k.a good overclock will never let you feel any lack of power IMO.

I have looked at that case before, but didn't think it had a USB 3.0 port in the front. I'd prefer if the case did as I picked up a couple of USB 3.0 flash drives, and would prefer to easily plug them in up front when used.
November 22, 2011 4:50:07 PM

CPU
If the coversion speed is already acceptable then I would suggest as others have just drop down to the 2500K it will be loads faster than what you have and the gaming will be just as good as the 2600K

Case
or if you don't want a window

Please note these are just thoughts, it is a personal choice
my case is ugly but black and super functional.

SSD 120 GB with mir 150
Well under the 1.50 per GB
November 23, 2011 12:59:49 AM

OK, well I didn't find anything that would suggest the hyperthreaded processors to be worth the cost. Not that I didn't trust everyone here, just due diligence. I've updated my list to the i5-2500K, bringing my total build cost to under $1100. Will get the SSD recommended by spentshells, as it's hard to pass up at that price. Brings my total back around the $1220 mark, but is noticeably improved from my original list.

Still considering a case, and debating if I should now go ahead and add a monitor and/or Blu-Ray burner to the rest, since I could still fit those under my higher limit of $1500. Awaiting your advice :) 
November 23, 2011 1:18:27 AM

ASUS has a good 23" monitor 1080P for around $180 Ive got it myself and love the crap out of it I hate too big of a screen :D 

I look around for more cases as well what type of features would you like on it?
November 23, 2011 3:39:16 AM

I have been looking at some SSD.

While I'm not sure of the difference (somebody enlighten me!), the review on this website put the Vertex 3 above the Agility 3 by 2 tiers. Since there is only a $20 price difference, should I get the Vertex 3 instead?

OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb 2.5" SSD SATA 3 - $170 after rebate

OCZ Agility 3 120Gb 2.5" SSD SATA 3 - $150 after rebate, recommended by spentshells
November 23, 2011 4:21:06 AM

I would advice against OCZ as the failure rate is pretty high. Go for crucial m4
November 23, 2011 2:41:52 PM

People say it is midrange
I personaly love my mushkin psu super stable
November 25, 2011 2:57:41 AM

Hope everyone is having/did have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Just had a question about the motherboard, specifically for spentshells, but anybody can chime in.

spentshells, you had mentioned you had seen the ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 motherboard cheaper than what I had listed. Do you (or anybody else) remember where, possibly?

I bought a decent chunk of my parts via the Newegg sales, so I'm updating the original post with final prices, in case anybody is interested.

madchemist83 said:
I would advice against OCZ as the failure rate is pretty high. Go for crucial m4

I did take this into consideration, however the price was too good for me to not jump at - it was the price I was going to hold out for. Of course, should it die, I'll curse myself, think of you, but I hope to avoid that heh. Thanks for the input though.
November 25, 2011 5:55:02 AM

well let me just say I hope u won't be thinking about me :) 
gogogogo shop it's here BLACK FRIDAY
!