Sign in with
Your question

BSOD while running Prime95

Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2012 11:12:50 PM

Hi all,

So I decided to try Prime95 on my computer and I was watching the temperature of the CPU. When it was idle, it was around 55 degrees C and when I started the test, the CPU temperature went up to about 90-92 degrees C and then I got an ugly blue screen of death. It could be the CPU or the RAM as both were supposed to be tested I believe. This PC is about 2-3 years old I believe and I built it myself.

Everything is stock and nothing is overclocked and room temperature is fairly cool. I wanted to know if this is probably a problem with my RAM or my CPU and how I can fix it. Occasionally when I'm gaming, I get a blue screen of death too and I haven't been able to figure out why.

Here are my system specs.

Windows 7 64-bit
i7 920 at 2.66GHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
G.SKILL F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory
Nvidea GeForce GTX 260 896MB Graphics card

If there's any other information that's required of me, please post and I'll provide it.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

I did it a second time and chose the option where RAM is not tested much and it's probably the CPU. It went to 95 degrees and then blue screen of death. Does this mean it's overheating? And how should I go about solving this problem? I'm using the stock cooler but I didn't overclock so I thought I would be fine and I kind of have been fine for the past 2 years or so. Maybe my thermal paste needs to be replaced? Any opinions would be great.

More about : bsod running prime95

a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 11:21:30 PM

That is definitely overheating. You don't want your CPU to get over ~70C.

You're nearing the emergency shutoff temps.

You'll need to reseat your heatsink and reapply thermal compound.
m
l
February 22, 2012 11:23:32 PM

Alright, I suppose I'll do that then. What do you mean by reseat my heatsink? Do you just mean putting it back after re-applying the paste?
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
February 22, 2012 11:52:02 PM

Reseating means removing it, cleaning the old thermal paste then putting the heatsink back on.

BTW, is it a 124 BSoD?
m
l
February 22, 2012 11:54:14 PM

I'm not sure because I can't reproduce it anymore. I just re-installed my graphics card drivers, and it doesn't seem to crash anymore, however it still goes up to 95 degrees C.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
February 22, 2012 11:56:59 PM

Well Prime95 should not cause a GPU BSoD.

124 is a BSoD for CPUs when they are overheating or voltage is too low.

You might be best off getting a after market heatsink as Intels stock ones do suck something fierce.
m
l
February 23, 2012 12:01:55 AM

Yeah, either way I think the temperature is way too high. I'm a little tight on money so I don't think I can get a good heatsink at the moment but I'll try to re-apply thermal paste when I get the chance. Thanks.

EDIT:

Actually, I was wondering how much a good heatsink for my processor would be? I wouldn't mind buying one if it's not that expensive. If I do buy one, I'd like to do some overclocking though. How much would one typically range and where would I be able to get one?
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
February 23, 2012 2:13:40 AM

$40 bucks. I have the Zalman 9900Max and it works great. Is about $69. But there are very good ones for $40ish.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
February 23, 2012 2:40:14 AM

^Although I am not a fan of CM cases, the 212+ EVo for less than $40 is damn good for cooling CPUs.
m
l
February 23, 2012 2:52:11 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, I might go for the CM Cooler since it seems a reasonable price. How much would be able to OC to approx with it?
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
February 23, 2012 2:56:31 AM

Some places hit about 50% overclock, so about 4GHz but were hitting 70C using that cooler with a second fan attatched. I would say you could easily hit 3.5GHz at decent temps.
m
l
February 23, 2012 3:02:29 AM

Alright, thanks a bunch for the info! I'll let you guys know if I've got any other questions. You guys were extremely helpful, thanks again!
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2012 3:52:37 AM

Did you try a reseating it yet? That'll fix your issue, you really don't need aftermarket if you aren't overclocking.
m
l
February 23, 2012 4:06:24 AM

Well, not yet since I don't have any thermal paste at home, though I'll get some soon and try that first. Though if I do buy an aftermarket cooler, I probably will end up overclocking.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2012 4:12:27 AM

Definitely OC if you're thinking about it! :)  And if so, like you/we said, definitely get a new heatsink.

You have an awesome CPU there, especially at 3.8-4.2ghz :) 
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2012 4:18:25 AM

kefloxin said:
Well, not yet since I don't have any thermal paste at home, though I'll get some soon and try that first. Though if I do buy an aftermarket cooler, I probably will end up overclocking.

You should get some rubbing alcohol if you don't have any, to remove the thermal paste
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2012 1:24:33 PM

Just to be on the safe side, can you post the BSOD message you got? While this does look like an overheating problem, lets not rule out RAM either.
m
l
February 23, 2012 2:23:13 PM

Can i ask why you are trying to heat up your CPU till it melts? seems to me that Prime95 is doing what its meant to do - just running your system flat out. your over heat can happen with Prime95 its in the instructions.

so why are you running it. are you testing your system? have you had a problem, that you think testing is going to help resolve some sort of issue?

Run mem86 to test ram but do it from a USB/cd romm boot disk to remove windows from the possible cause of the errors.
m
l
February 23, 2012 2:34:48 PM

I can't post the BSOD message that I'm getting since after I re-installed my GPU driver like I said, it doesn't happen anymore for some reason.

Also, I was just using Prime95 to test whether my CPU will remain stable at high temperatures or if I would need a better cooler or to re-apply thermal paste at this point which it seems like I do.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
February 23, 2012 2:52:09 PM

Go to C:\Windows and see if there is a folder called Minidump. If so, look in it and see if there is a file. If there is, upload it and post a link to it. We can look at it using some tools.
m
l
!