littlepowell73

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
If I buy a case with a front mounted USB 3.0 header, does the motherboard I plan to buy also need a "HEADER" or is just having USB 3.0 outs on the mobo enough to make it work??!! Want to buy the Rosewill Challenger U3 case and mount the ASRock Z68 PRO3 in it. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Solution

Sorry for the confusion Rose, the questions were for the OP. However, after looking over his first post he gave all the info I need.

To the OP, That board does not support onboard usb 3.0, nor does it have the proper input on the back.

There may be an adapter, I have looked before but have not been able to find one, maybe you will have better luck in searching.

littlepowell73

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I'm building an i5 2500k machine. Want to hurry up buy parts but I'm not sure how this works.....not sure if I even need USB 3.0 function. The motherboard mentioned above has USB 3's on the back. Can I just run one of these to the header in the front of the case!!??

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

thats is true, but maybe not the way the op is thinking.

the cable that comes from the front of the case (pending the case) does not simply hook up into the standard usb 3.0 port.

There maybe and probably is an adapter, but I am unaware of one that exist.

If your mobo has 6 usb 3.0 ports it may have onboard usb 3.0.

What is your mobo?
What is your case?

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Sorry for the confusion Rose, the questions were for the OP. However, after looking over his first post he gave all the info I need.

To the OP, That board does not support onboard usb 3.0, nor does it have the proper input on the back.

There may be an adapter, I have looked before but have not been able to find one, maybe you will have better luck in searching.

Solution

Rosebud

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

no my mistake iam new here ! no luck here, what I thought but it said 3.0 and the picture didnt help at all

littlepowell73

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
You know what, Im gonna switch to the Biostar TZ68A+. This board has 2 PCI-E slots plus it says "USB 3.0 support". If it doesn't work for my case, Im gonna throw it like a frisbee into the nearest wall and buy another one. Wish me luck.....

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
It supports usb 3.0, it does not have onboard 3.0.

You cannot hook up your case usb 3.0 to the motherboard.

Look at the connector for the rosewill challenger, then look at the usb 3.0 ports on the back of the ASRock Z68 PRO3, they do not match up.

Like I said, there could be an adapter of some sort that allows for this connection, I am unaware of any.

I am pretty sure that the biostar board will not solve this issue either.

the majority of newer board all have usb 3.0 support. this does not mean they have a connector for onboard usb 3.0.

typically if mobos have onboard usb 3.0 headers, the manufactures make it apparent because this is a product feature. I have not seen mobos with onboard usb 3.0 headers for less than $150ish.

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
here is some sort of an adapter,

http://www.everythingusb.com/20-pin-usb-3.0-header-connector-21232.html

I am not going to look for another type, but if you bought this you would also have to purchase 2 usb 3.0 cables to run to the back of the mobo.

I would highly advise simply purchasing a mobo that has usb 3.0 headers onboard.

the gigabyte is the best deal.

There might be other cheaper alternatives to make your chosen motherboards work, I just don't know any or can not find any.

If I was in your shoes I would opt for the gigabyte. I personally do not use usb 3.0 in my case because I have no need for them.

side note- newegg has a 25% off on lian li cases, if you are curious about other cases.
Best buy has an antec 300 for 35 bucks, this is a great case.