Sign in with
Your question

X79A - GD65 8D DIMM 3 & 4 not working

Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2012 10:14:22 AM

Hi guys,

I'm in a spot of trouble with my motherboard. It seems DIMM slots 3 & 4 are not working, whenever I put my memory in these slots, I get Dr Debug code 67 in DIMM 3 and code 60 in DIMM 4. If there is memory in both then just code 60 shows. I have 8 x Kingston Hyper X 4GB DDR3 1600. Each has been tested and works perfectly. I have installed my operating system and is usable as normal, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. It is only when I put memory in one or two of those slots does it not boot and it auto restarts every 10 seconds or so.

I have checked for debris under the board and in the slots and checked for displacement of the motherboard.
Also I have tried re seating the CPU (Intel i7 3820) and checking the pins, also I really don't think it is a CPU problem as the system works perfectly without memory in those 2 slots. I have searched all over the forums for solutions but nothing seems to work.
I have yet to try the other Quad channel arrangement that MSI recommends if you only have 4 sticks of RAM, but I am doubtful this will work.

My BIOS version is the latest 7760v18.

Is there anything I am missing that could be wrong or have I got to RMA the board?

Help is much appreciated as I have looked all over the forum and nothing is similar to the problem I got nor do the solutions work for me.

Thanks,

Jordan

P.s When the system is working with DIMMs 3 & 4 empty, upon pushing the power button the computer starts for about 2-3 seconds, shuts down and boots again totally fine.

More about : x79a gd65 dimm working

December 29, 2012 10:17:35 AM

I forgot to mention this is a totally new build with 2 x ASUS GTX660 Graphics Cards and a Corsair H80 Liquid cooler. 1000W PSU.

Jordan
December 29, 2012 10:38:01 AM

Well aside from checking those slots with new ram id say those sticks are bad orr the slots bad you will just have to determine that by testing with some of your other sticks
Related resources
December 29, 2012 10:56:13 AM

robustus64 said:
Well aside from checking those slots with new ram id say those sticks are bad orr the slots bad you will just have to determine that by testing with some of your other sticks

Sorry I should have mentioned that I already have tried all other RAM in those slots and none work. Also the two I am mainly trying work in other slots.

Thanks,

Jordan
December 30, 2012 8:30:12 PM

Good morning

Most of new MTB where EUFI BIOS is used you might have problem with the system rebooting itself or waking up without notice. Please make sure you disable alll the "Wake up on...". The last thing is your PSU, have you checked if the model you choosed was designed for both the MTB and your video cards as new MTB and video cards are nowadays "power centric" it is all a matter of amperage not watts.

I am not surprise that the system boots for a few seconds and reboot itself because it is the MTB and PSU power exchange that resets itself to accomodate exactly what you have installed.

If the system has to much electrical switching to do it might not be able to supply the right amount of watts in wrong phases. For that purpose you should have used a video card made by MSI instead of ASUS because they have different phase standards.

As for your RAM sticks, please download the very last BIOS upgrade and use the old DOS (like booting from a USB 2.0 not 3.0) approach as it makes a better job than Windows oriented firmware update.

Unfortunately you need to set up your BIOS before installing Windows 7 so you will need to do real clean install not only a Windows so called "clean install" because Windows keeps 7GB (hidden) with the old registry among other things and you will end up with the very same problem and a very tricky Windows.

Cheers

December 30, 2012 10:33:32 PM

wentworth said:
Good morning

Most of new MTB where EUFI BIOS is used you might have problem with the system rebooting itself or waking up without notice. Please make sure you disable alll the "Wake up on...". The last thing is your PSU, have you checked if the model you choosed was designed for both the MTB and your video cards as new MTB and video cards are nowadays "power centric" it is all a matter of amperage not watts.

I am not surprise that the system boots for a few seconds and reboot itself because it is the MTB and PSU power exchange that resets itself to accomodate exactly what you have installed.

If the system has to much electrical switching to do it might not be able to supply the right amount of watts in wrong phases. For that purpose you should have used a video card made by MSI instead of ASUS because they have different phase standards.

As for your RAM sticks, please download the very last BIOS upgrade and use the old DOS (like booting from a USB 2.0 not 3.0) approach as it makes a better job than Windows oriented firmware update.

Unfortunately you need to set up your BIOS before installing Windows 7 so you will need to do real clean install not only a Windows so called "clean install" because Windows keeps 7GB (hidden) with the old registry among other things and you will end up with the very same problem and a very tricky Windows.

Cheers

Thanks a lot for the great advice!!

The system no longer boots, shuts down then boots fine. It boots fine first time. Not sure how this is as I haven't changed a thing.

My BIOS is the up most latest one available according to the website, and I did use USB 2.0 to flash it.

As far as setting up the BIOS before installing Windows, I did manage to do this except there wasn't much I could do in the BIOS.

I have opened a ticket with MSI and if they can't help me resolve the problem, then unfortunately I will have to RMA the board. :( 

Thanks again,

Jordan
December 30, 2012 10:37:44 PM

wentworth said:
Good morning

Cheers

I just noticed now that my "Wake up Event By" is set to "BIOS", should this be on OS?

Thanks,

Jordan
December 31, 2012 12:02:50 AM

Good evening

"Wake up on..." in the BIOS is different from setting up HDD, video screen or using sleep time in the control panel "energy set-up. Fortunately enough, the BIOS always have had priority over Windows "energy" setup but since Windows 7 the OS seems to conflict enough with the "Wake up on" in many different things.

One single thing to remember, even if drivers are software oriented to manage hardware we need to keep in mind that the OS is not intended to do the BIOS "job" for handling hardware "power consumption". The only reason to include such matter in the OS is for user with limited knowledge of PC's technology at large.

It was working fine under XP because the MTB electronic configuration was quite different and most manufacturers were using the same standards. As I mentionned before new MTB's are "power centric". Instead of RMA your MTB why don't you provide me with the actual PSU, RAM and video card model numbers so I can have a look at what could be the problem.

In the mean time please set your BIOS to "load default" and see what happens, do the same with "load optimized" and see what happens.

Please disconnect any outside hardware. I am quite positive that it is a PSU problem.

Cheers

December 31, 2012 12:45:30 AM

wentworth said:
Good evening

"Wake up on..." in the BIOS is different from setting up HDD, video screen or using sleep time in the control panel "energy set-up. Fortunately enough, the BIOS always have had priority over Windows "energy" setup but since Windows 7 the OS seems to conflict enough with the "Wake up on" in many different things.

One single thing to remember, even if drivers are software oriented to manage hardware we need to keep in mind that the OS is not intended to do the BIOS "job" for handling hardware "power consumption". The only reason to include such matter in the OS is for user with limited knowledge of PC's technology at large.

It was working fine under XP because the MTB electronic configuration was quite different and most manufacturers were using the same standards. As I mentionned before new MTB's are "power centric". Instead of RMA your MTB why don't you provide me with the actual PSU, RAM and video card model numbers so I can have a look at what could be the problem.

In the mean time please set your BIOS to "load default" and see what happens, do the same with "load optimized" and see what happens.

Please disconnect any outside hardware. I am quite positive that it is a PSU problem.

Cheers

OK the RAM model number is KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX. I'll have to find the boxes for the GPUs and PSU later on today when I wake up, it is very late where I am so I must go to bed.

I did notice an update on Live Update 5 earlier but it wasn't on the MSI website. Anyway I went ahead and updated it through DOS as you mentioned. But it seems it has damaged my BIOS, luckily this motherboard has a switch to use a backup, so it is still working but I can't recover the original BIOS.

I will get those numbers for you when I get up.

Thanks,

Jordan
December 31, 2012 8:55:43 PM

wentworth said:
Good evening

Cheers

Ok here are the numbers:

PSU: X-Viper 1050W. S/No: PC1208M105TW000095

GPU: GTX660-DC2-2GD5. S/No: C8C0YZ360200

Thanks,

Jordan
January 2, 2013 7:25:30 PM

Could anybody also tell me why my CPU speed satys at 1200 mhz all the time, even though I have disabled Intel Speed Step Technology.

Thanks,

Jordan
August 8, 2013 4:58:35 PM

Try to see if your cooler mounting structure does not make short-circuit with the mainboard's electrical network.
I had the same problem and I've solved it isolating the mounting bolts from the mainboard!
Let me know, best regards.
http://mussio.eu
!