New Build i3-2125 revised to i5-2500k

I previously posted a build based on the i3-2125 processor. Based on some suggestions I've revised the processor and some of the other components. How does this look?

Approximate Purchase Date: Cyber Monday
Budget Range: $600-$800) After Rebates
System Usage : Photo editing, Video editing Surfing the internet, watching movies
Parts Not Required: Hard drive,CD/DVD drive, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS(Win 7 Home Premium), wireless NIC
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, Micro Center, Amazon
Parts Preferences: by brand or type: INTEL CPU,everything else is up in the air.
Overclocking: Maybe.
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor/Resolution: Samsung SyncMaster 205BW,Optimal Resolution is 1680x1050
Additional Comments:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I have come up with so far: (Revised Build)

Intel Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 - $180
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354589

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard - $130 when bundled with a i5-2500k
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364206

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - $35
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC PSU - $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Apps I use most often:
Windows7 - Ultimate
Norton Security Suite
Corel Paintshop Pro X4 - photo editing
Adobe Photoshop - photo editing
Picasa 3 - photo cataloging/editing
Roxio Creator - Video editing/Music editing/MP3 creation
4 answers Last reply
More about build 2125 revised 2500k
  1. The antec 300 is a gaming case. The Illusion model has extra fans .

A system like yours can run with NO case fans in a 300 because what heat it makes just floats out the hole in the top of the case .
    I would recommend you use a case designed for quiet office environments

Your RAM link looks to be incorrect . Out of stock and higher price .
    With your build you should be looking for tighter timings too since that will pay off in your applications 1600 MHz at 8-8-8-24 [ or lower] would be a better choice . Remember too it should be 1.5 volt or less

Your motherboard is ridiculously expensive board designed to run multiple graphics cards for gaming . You can pay $70 less and have the exact same performance
  2. Outlander_04 said:
    The antec 300 is a gaming case. The Illusion model has extra fans .

A system like yours can run with NO case fans in a 300 because what heat it makes just floats out the hole in the top of the case .

With your build you should be looking for tighter timings too since that will pay off in your applications 1600 MHz at 8-8-8-24 [ or lower] would be a better choice . Remember too it should be 1.5 volt or less

Your motherboard is ridiculously expensive board designed to run multiple graphics cards for gaming . You can pay $70 less and have the exact same performance

Thanks for taking a look at my build.
    The price for memory is based on a promotion code from NewEgg, and I'm hoping it will be back in stock before the code expires. A mute point though since I'll look for a better choice.

What case would you recommend?
    What motherboard would you recommend?
  3. AsRock z68 extreme3 gen3 will be plentiful enough for your overclocking needs but you will need an aftermarket cooler for that.
    If you are not looking into overclocking then GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 and i5 2400 with it's stock heatsink.
  4. Outlander_04 said:
    The antec 300 is a gaming case. The Illusion model has extra fans .

For the case what did you have in mind?
    Could you please recommend a specific case?

Thanks for your input.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product