TheSecludedRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I built my first PC a little over 2 months ago and I am wondering if I should be doing monthly dust checks, or anything like that. Also when you build a computer, do the fans usually run on full speed? Noise isnt a problem I just am wondering if I can turn up the fans to cool down my system.

Thanks.

I generally blow the dust out of my fans when I reboot my systems every few months. Just play it by ear, if there is a bunch of dust, blow it out. If there isn't, then don't worry about it.

The only fans that should generally always be running at full speed on a computer are low-speed case fans plugged into a Molex connector. Other fans plugged into the motherboard should throttle down when the computer is idling. If they don't check the BIOS to make sure you enable fan speed control and that you set the jumpers or BIOS options correctly for using 3-pin or 4-pin fans.

I'd not worry about temps unless the CPU is running unusually warm, such as in the 60-70 C range under load or idling around 50 C or so. Turning the fans up to keep the CPU at 35 C full load will just make a lot of needless noise.

TheSecludedRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Ok yeah my CPU idles at 35 so that's all good, but my case is pretty enclosed so I can't see dust build up. Would i have to pull off a side of the case just to blow out the dist or can you just do it externally? I just heard that it blocks airflow causing overheating, or is dust build up not a big deal at all?

To expans on MU, only the 4 pin fans will throttle normally. Most 3pin fans will always run at full speed unless they are like the Antec ones that have a small fan speed controller on them or the Zalmans that have a resistor that limits voltage to lower the speed.

Most CPU and GPU fans should auto throttle with load, Intels are very quite as are most AMD except the high end ones.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I check for dust and clean the filters on my case every 1-2 months. But my workspace is really dusty.

It certainly won't hurt you to clean your system every so often and if you area is like mine, then 'yes' I would recommend doing so.

Fans can be run at 100% like you asked, or they can be throttled by your bios or a fan controller. MU is right that you should be fine letting your bios control your fan speeds.

But, again, if you want cooler temps then you leave them on 100%. Doing this though will most likely allow dust to build up faster, use a little more electricity and be much noisier than just letting the bios or a fan controller manage the fans.

Basically, none of the things that you asked about will cause any trouble for you either way. So it is really all about what you prefer :)

Dust building up blocks airflow, which is why temperatures rise. You need to remove the sides of the case and blow the dust off of heatsinks and fans with compressed air.

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Mostly on the case is dust issue.... but most people forget the OS / Software Part.

You better do a disk Defragment / Uninstall the program you don't want or the program you install with other software...

Disable any IE / firefox Addon which you don't need.

Run Crystal Disk info to see you HD internal Smart Status is it healthy
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

After all if every thing looks good. ... try to make a restore point .... and you can make a Back up image again if you use window 7

Run CCleaner to clean up the temp file...

This should be make your whole system in good condition.