Hardware
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Evo
CPU: Intel 2600k
PSU: Corsair 1200w AX Gold
GFX: Asus 580GTX Reference model
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 8GB
CD/DVD: LG dvd burner
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200rpm 1TB

I have another 580gtx and wanting to SLI the two but wondering if my motherboard is bottle necking by running the two cards in 8x. the MB only supports 16x with a single card as soon as you SLI it reverts to 8X/8X. Will this hinder my gaming experience ?? Someone told me i should of gone with the X58 chipset but they do no offer sandybridge.

Solution
you can do a search on Tom's, they have an article all about SLI/xfire and PCI speed (its a fairly recent one and specifically has a 580). But in short, the difference is negligable at best. In most games there is no difference. I dont remember positively but there might be a small difference if you run say tripple monitors, but since i do not, i didnt pay much attention to that. You can always search for the article and see for yourself.
No it won't make much difference, a few percent performance loss.

The new Z68 boards have pci-e 3.0, which has 2x the bandwidth of 2.0. So a 8x 3.0 slot would be just as fast as a 16x 2.0 slot.

I believe Intel planned it this way just to bend you over for a new mobo, as they do every socket change.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
you can do a search on Tom's, they have an article all about SLI/xfire and PCI speed (its a fairly recent one and specifically has a 580). But in short, the difference is negligable at best. In most games there is no difference. I dont remember positively but there might be a small difference if you run say tripple monitors, but since i do not, i didnt pay much attention to that. You can always search for the article and see for yourself.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.