Your question

Random Freezes

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 22, 2011 2:47:03 AM

Another one of these threads!

I built this system back in February and didn't start having problems until about April or May. The computer would randomly freeze where the screen would go black (monitor loses signal), audio continuously skips on current frame, and system was unresponsive (NumLock light on keyboard wouldn't toggle, etc).

At first it was once a month, but it has slowly progressed to one a week or so, and finally, lately, it has been at least a couple of times a day. I started keeping a log of dates and times it freezes, and there's no pattern there except that the frequency has been increasing.

When this happens, I'm usually not even touching the computer or launching a program, I'm usually just reading a webpage or something.

Windows Event Viewer shows no indication of error before the crash.

I have tried the following:
- Moving HDD to a different SATA controller
- IDE instead of AHCI
- Reseating RAM
- Running Western Digital HDD Test CD - Passed
- Running mem86+ - Passed
- Monitoring CPU temp with CoreTemp - No overheating
- Monitoring GPU temp with GPU-Z - No overheating

I really don't know where to go from here! It was tolerable when it was less frequent, but multiple times a day now means I risk losing work and stuff. Do you have any ideas?

Specs:
- Gigabyte P55-USB3 Rev 2.0 Motherboard
- Corsair 850w PSU
- Intel Core i7 870 (2.93GHz, not overclocked)
- Palit Nvidia GTX 460 SE (1GB RAM)
- 2x 4GB Gskill DDR3 RAM
- 2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDDs
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Thanks in advance for any help!

More about : random freezes

a b B Homebuilt system
November 25, 2011 1:12:52 AM

First I would eliminate the obvious possibilities. Run CCleaner (Clean & Registry both) http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner to clean garbage and registry errors. Uninstall the existing driver package. Then run Driver Sweeper from safemode to clean out any remnants of the driver the uninstall pgm misses. http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html Reboot.
Install the latest driver package for your card/OS.
m
l
November 25, 2011 1:29:58 AM

Thank you for the suggestions! I do run CCleaner, but not on the Registry, so I will try that, as well as Driver Sweeper and post an update to see if behavior has improved.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2011 11:00:07 PM

Just an update:

Unfortunately the suggestions had no effect, and the problems continued.

However, during one of the more recent crashes, it finally left a minidump where it points to the graphics drivers as the problem. So that narrowed it down to memory or the video card.

Finally, after much more research, I believe the problem is the so-called Fermi Freeze that many GTX 400-series users seem to be experiencing. I'm going to try a new graphics card, and am 90% sure it will prove to be the problem.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2011 11:14:54 PM

Fermi Freeze? Very interesting. Never heard of that. I had 2 460s in SLI for over a year and never had an issue ever. Maybe it is related to the cards' not playing nice with certain hardware. If you remember one of the articles' links, please pass it on.
m
l
!