Building A Gaming Machine. Finalizing Parts List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some1Betterer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I'm putting together a gaming machine (not my first build), but as my gaming rig has been a Dell XPS laptop for the past several years, I've been out of the game a while. I'm looking to put together a machine that is capable of running newer games on higher settings for the next couple years if possible. I have most of the parts I'd like finalized, but I'm wondering if anyone more knowledgeable can point out a part or two that is worth my spending a few extra bucks on for an increase in performance, or if the converse, that I can downgrade and save a lot of money for just a small loss in performance, would be worth it. Basically, how efficiently am I spending my money for a top of the line desktop?

The parts I currently plan to utilize are:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive (As I already have 1TB and 2TB externals)

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 95W

Video/Graphics Card: EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

RAM: (4x) Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Monitor: ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, as this is a somewhat sizable investment on my part. Also, if there are any compatibility issues that jump out at you, feel free to point them out. Thanks again for all your advice.

Solution
If its just for gaming, you could step down the CPU to 2500K. There wont be any noticeable difference in gaming and you could save $150.

And of course go for a 8GB 1600 MHz 1.5V Ram. G.skill/corsair vengeance.

You could add a SSD (Cruial M4) and see blazing load times in windows booting or games. The size of it depends on your budget. If you could get the 128GB model, the best there is.

Moreover, you haven't mentioned a PSU. Go for a Corsair TX650 or TX750 if you want to add another GPU later.

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
If its just for gaming, you could step down the CPU to 2500K. There wont be any noticeable difference in gaming and you could save $150.

And of course go for a 8GB 1600 MHz 1.5V Ram. G.skill/corsair vengeance.

You could add a SSD (Cruial M4) and see blazing load times in windows booting or games. The size of it depends on your budget. If you could get the 128GB model, the best there is.

Moreover, you haven't mentioned a PSU. Go for a Corsair TX650 or TX750 if you want to add another GPU later.

Solution

Some1Betterer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

I didn't list the PSU because I didn't think it was a big deal. I was going to grab a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018 instead of the Corsair. I'm assuming the Corsair is compatible with the Sandybridge? Any reason or personal experience to suggest one over the other? Also, I made the suggested RAM changes and bumped the CPU down to the 2500k. That said, thanks for the suggestions.

Some1Betterer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

Made the RAM changes... thanks. Also, to clarify, SRT only becomes available if you have both a SSD and a mechanical drive, otherwise the SSD just functions normally correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.