hm24248

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Hello,
When I turn on my computer all the fans turn on and everything else. The mobo shows all warning lights on. It won't display an image to the screen and I notice the videocards fan spinning at a slow rate, and then it sounds like it loses power and spins slower, then repeats. Is this a faulty underpowered PSU? The PSU just recently got banged around a bit so I'm hoping thats the problem and not the video card.

hm24248

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
CPU: Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8 MB LGA1366 CPU

Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel X58/Intel ICH10R Intel X58 ATX DDR3 2200 LGA 1366 Motherboard (GA-X58A-UD3R)

Video Card: XFX HD 5870 ATI Radeon

Computer Case: Thermaltake Element G

PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 2 x 2gb (4GB)

Harddrive: Western-Digital 1TB Sata/32mb Cache
cd/dvd drive: Samsung SH-S223L - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM drive - Serial ATA - 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD) 48x (CD) / 22x (DVD±R) / 12x (DVD-R DL) / 16x (DVD+R DL) 32x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 12x (DVD-RAM) - Internal - Black

I'd apprepciate if anyone can narrow down what the problem is, if possible. I recently sold this computer on ebay only to have the buyer send it back un-opened and it came back damaged. The PSU wasn't seated properly and got banged around. Thanks!

Sorry to hear about that! Your symptoms sound like a typical boot-no-video scenario. It could be a range of issues...mobo, psu, cpu, ram, gpu. In this situation I would recommend starting out by reseating all cards and cables (especially power cable connections and the CPU fan header) and attempt to boot. If that doesn't work then breadboard it with minimum components to see if you can get it to POST:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html
Are you getting any BIOS beep codes that can help ID the issue? Did the shipping include insurance?

hm24248

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I tried reseating and unplugging and plugging back in power cables, but not luck. I'll try the breadboard method next. I'm not hearing any beeps, not sure if this case has a speaker built in it. In my return policy, I required the buyer to provide insurance if he/she were to ship it back. I was told all UPS has to do is say I didn't package it well enough and then won't honor the insurance. Should I still try for it? If the buyer didn't provide insurance, would it be on him/her to take care of it? I've hard that ebay likes to side with buyers a lot. So I'm not sure...

hm24248

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I'm still getting the same warning lights lit up when I detached the video card, and then the ram. My gut tells me the problem is the power supply unit as it was the only thing that got banged around. Also the video card was getting inconsistent power and out of all the components, it uses the most power. I just really hope it's not the video card or the motherboard is they are both more expensive. I do have a 3 yr warranty on my psu, I believe. I've read its not covered under items damaged through shipping, but I don't think they can tell the difference...

Not sure about Ebay, but if the buyer didn't provide insurance as specifically required, then it would seem there is some liability on their part. As far as UPS, it never hurts to ask them. What was the condition of the box/packaging when returned to you? If in bad shape, then did you get any pictures of exterior and contents as you unpacked it?

Before we go down that road any further....let's see if we can isolate your PC issue(s). If you have spare parts around your place it will be easier to isolate the problem. Do you have a known good PSU that you can test in this system? GPU?

hm24248

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I ended up trying the PSU test with the paperclip and it passed. So not sure what the next step is. I'm currently on my ps3 so I don't believe I can read a manual for my mobo as it is usually in a pdf(?) file format.

The exterior of the box seemed fine. The psu was banged around and the harddrive bay was knocked out of place as well as the harddrive, which surprised me. What bothers me is the buyer returned the item on a Friday without asking, then didn't tell me about it until the next day. Her reason was that her son had an "accident" and she couldn't afford it right now. I wonder if she dropped the box and figured if she returned it without opening it that she can't be blamed for any damage. Of course I can't be sure. Another thing is that I can't prove if the computer got damaged on the way to the buyer, or on the way back. So not sure if that'll work out.

I don't have any spare parts to test out. Can I hook up a speaker to the computer and then be able to here the diagnostic beeps? Thanks for thehelp

hm24248

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Whats interesting is when I don't have the power cable from the PSU that goes next to the cpu(which I believe is for the cpu?) it doesn't make the sound that its dropping in power and then rises back up. When I plug that power cord in, it starts going up and down every so often. Maybe my mobo is bad?

hm24248

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
well i got off the phone with gigabyte technical support. Ran through some tests and came to the conlusion it's not the motherboard. She says either PSU or CPU. So I'll just have to get another PSU and just hope it works out. Thanks for the input you guys.

hm24248

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

Glad to hear. I'm hoping it's the PSU. I just purchased a PSU tester for only $5 + free shipping on ebay. Hopefully get that sometime early next week. I'm assuming my PSU isn't giving off the right power and this will prove it. I started to hear a high pitch noise last night when I tried messing around some more. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the PSU because when I kind of moved the the sound died down and then came back again. I don't want to risk anything anymore so I unplugged everything and I'm just going to wait and test it. Hopefully I can just RMA this psu back to newegg once I can prove it's faulty. Otherwise I'd appreciate some recommendations. I'd only want to spend around $60. Thanks.