Netwoked pc's folder dont display

DarthYahya

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Hello,
i have a home network of 7 pc, all running windows 7 64 bit and 1 with 32 bit. i have used workgroup as opposed to homegroup in my network setup. problem is this: when im on my main pc in the livingroom [hardwired to router] and I browse to my bedroom pc[also hardwired to router] i have read and write access but when i view some of the folders on my bedroom pc from my livingroom, i see folders there that i know no longer exist because i was on the bedroom pc and deleted them. on that bedroom pc i no longer have a certain folder [call it "folder x"].
but viewing that same main directory from the livingroom, its still there. ive tried rebooting both machines. I know for a fact that i deleted folder "X", but viewing it from the livingroom pc. ITS STILL THERE. Id also like to ask, are there any advantages of using homegroup over workgroup? I do know that when i did try to make a homegroup, the hardwired pc would have the option to join the homegroup i created from my livingroom pc but the wireless laptops would not. they would have only the option to create a homegroup. would i have to hardwire them, join the homegroup and then unplug em and switch to wireless?
as to my first question, i have all the services running that i believe should be running. i have the entire second drive on the bedroom pc shared and can see and transfer files, but its like the folders are not being updates when viewed thru the network. thanzx in advance for your help. you guys are awesome!

DarthYahya

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

its almost like i am viewing a cached webpage and until i hit refresh, i see the page the way it was the last time i viewed it. if this helps to explain my delema and possible replies to it.

DarthYahya

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
found the answer! I had the "Branch Cache" service turned off! i went to services and turned things on and off one at a time until i found what it was. I hope this helps someone else out ther.

DarthYahya

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
no, that was not the answer. let me try to explain. i go to pc "A" i delete a file. i go to pc "B" and view pc"A" thru the network. the same file that i just deleted is still there form pc "B"'s viewpoint. i go back to pc "A" and verify that the file is in fact deleted and no longer exists, but back on pc "B" looking at PC"A", the file is still there. i get different error messages if i try to delte the file remotely, obviously cuase hte file no longer exists. but why do i still see it through the network browser?

-lukin-

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
browse the shared folders on the remote pc through windows explorer and see what comes up, like so: Windows key + R, \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\, press ok. Any shared resources on the remote pc will pop up in a new windows explorer window. Does the "deleted" folder show there?

How are you creating the network shares? Turning on and off all those services is not neccasary...you should be simply utilizing simple network sharing, creating shares and mapping a drive to the shares, or hitting them via unc path as I described above, much easier and less tedious.

DarthYahya

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
i have no problem accessing my shared folders or drives on any pc's. the problem is that the folder or shared drives are not updated. even if i click F5 or refresh, if im looking at a shared folder im seeing it the way it was. i dont think im making clear my problem. one more time:

while on the living room Pc i browse my network to the bedroom pc. i have the entire second drive shared. i go to a folder that contains setups for various programs. Now i know that when i was on that bedroom Pc i deleted one of those files or folders, it still shows up on the living room Pc. if i go to the bedroom pc and look it is not there. its deleted. nut the living room pc is still seeing it.