can a scanned 35mm from a analog camera be as good as a di..

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
April 25, 2005 11:49:56 PM

using of course, a high end drum scanner. which do you think would have the
higher resolution, clarity and focus? I think a drum scan from Velvia film
captured with a Canon/Nikon High end film camera with the best lens beats
every digital out there.

April 25, 2005 11:54:50 PM

Jim Waggener wrote:
> using of course, a high end drum scanner. which do you think would have the
> higher resolution, clarity and focus? I think a drum scan from Velvia film
> captured with a Canon/Nikon High end film camera with the best lens beats
> every digital out there.

Almost certainly, but on a 600dpi flatbed scanner, probably not. And if
we are talking about scanning prints, definitely not.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
April 26, 2005 12:06:44 AM

Jim Waggener wrote:

> using of course, a high end drum scanner. which do you think would have
> the
> higher resolution, clarity and focus? I think a drum scan from Velvia
> film
> captured with a Canon/Nikon High end film camera with the best lens beats
> every digital out there.

By a very small margin and then look at the hassle and costs per image
involved. If you want any sort of real improvement, you should be shooting
medium format or 4X5, not 35mm film.

--

Stacey
Related resources

In article <426d82eb$1_1@127.0.0.1>,
"Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote:

> using of course, a high end drum scanner. which do you think would have the
> higher resolution, clarity and focus? I think a drum scan from Velvia film
> captured with a Canon/Nikon High end film camera with the best lens beats
> every digital out there.

It depends on the capability of the scanner, but a scanned print IS a
digital image.
April 26, 2005 4:06:27 AM

"Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote in message
> using of course, a high end drum scanner. which do you think would have
> the higher resolution, clarity and focus? I think a drum scan from
> Velvia film captured with a Canon/Nikon High end film camera with the
> best lens beats every digital out there.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via
Encryption =----

Here we go again.

Another question designed to get everyone hot and bothered, and posting like
mad.

Why not just go the whole hog and suggest that a !0 x 8 Glass Neg, scanned
art 4800 Dpi on the latest Flat Bed is the only way to get real quality in
digital.

Who Bloody Cares!

I like my DSLR, and I still like my 35 SLR, and my 5400 Dpi Film Scanner.

Roy G
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:31:47 AM

"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote in message
> > using of course, a high end drum scanner. which do you think would have
> > the higher resolution, clarity and focus? I think a drum scan from
> > Velvia film captured with a Canon/Nikon High end film camera with the
> > best lens beats every digital out there.

> > News==----
> > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> > Newsgroups
> > ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via
> Encryption =----
>
> Here we go again.
>
> Another question designed to get everyone hot and bothered, and posting
like
> mad.
>
> Why not just go the whole hog and suggest that a !0 x 8 Glass Neg, scanned
> art 4800 Dpi on the latest Flat Bed is the only way to get real quality in
> digital.
>
> Who Bloody Cares!
>
> I like my DSLR, and I still like my 35 SLR, and my 5400 Dpi Film Scanner.
>
> Roy G

What gets me bothered is the Canon/Nikon comment. There are several examples
of Pentax lenses that are superior to Canon and Nikon. While I have Canon
equipment and used to use Nikon, I have some Pentax too, and they have some
fine lenses as well.
-S
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:52:47 PM

In article <426d82eb$1_1@127.0.0.1>, jimw@nospam.visi.net says...
> using of course, a high end drum scanner. which do you think would have the
> higher resolution, clarity and focus? I think a drum scan from Velvia film
> captured with a Canon/Nikon High end film camera with the best lens beats
> every digital out there.

I can't say anything about the quality of digital cameras, but if you
want to see what the latest generation of 35mm film can do read my
little tip here:
http://robertdfeinman.com/tips/tip25.html
Follow the link back to the main tips page for other discussions of film
scanning.

With color negative film and the Minolta 5400 dpi scanner and printing
at 300dpi excellent prints can be made at 18x magnification. This is
better than I was ever able to do via conventional enlarging. That's
an 18x27 inch print. I used to be happy with good 11x14 from slides.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

"Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote:

> using of course, a high end drum scanner. which do you think would have
the
> higher resolution, clarity and focus? I think a drum scan from Velvia
film

Velvia 50 doesn't count, since it's been discontinued...

> captured with a Canon/Nikon High end film camera with the best lens beats
> every digital out there.

Most of the decent ISO 100 films in 35mm (assuming a sharp lens stopped down
and a tripod) scanned at 4000 dpi on a dedicated film scanner will capture
more detail than 6MP dSLRs, but at 8MP the differences are really small.
Drum scanners or the 5400 dpi Konica Minolta scanner may tip the balance
back to film from the draw with 8MP.

This has been quite clear for well over two years now.

http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF7.html
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/dq.shtml

All of 35mm, 6MP, and 8MP dSLRs make very nice 6x9" prints. At 11x14, none
of these technologies are anywhere near "photographic quality" in the sense
of sharp images with more detail than the eye can resolve at normal reading
distance with good eyesight.

The interesting thing nowadays is that the Epson R800 and R1800 are capable
of very close to that level of detail, so for people who appreciate this
sort of photographic quality, 645/6x7 and a Nikon 9000 still make sense. For
everyone else, any 8MP dSLR (including the EVOLT) and any Canon/Epson/HP
photoprinter will make better A4 prints than they've ever seen from 35mm,
simply because the consumer color films widely available are horrendously
bad.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:21:35 AM

| using of course, a high end drum scanner. which do you think would have
the
| higher resolution, clarity and focus? I think a drum scan from Velvia
film
| captured with a Canon/Nikon High end film camera with the best lens beats
| every digital out there.

Iv'e been printing images from the D2X lately and I think it surpasses 35mm
and is approaching 120 quality.

Gaz.
!