My laptop crashed and wont load

Status
Not open for further replies.

CameronVeb

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hello,
Tonight right before bed and about 30 seconds before I was going to hit the shut down command on my laptop( specs below) my computer did a BSOD with a failed physical memory dump and shut down. Now it won't load and the recovery won't attempt any more. Since the BSOD it has a click and single beep. I have a second hard drive in the computer but I can't even access that either. I can enter setup menu and multi boot menu. If I let it sit for 20 minutes to load it brings up a notice saying my windows 7 isn't genuine and loads a factory set up. It is genuine, came from toshiba and I havent had a problem till now.

Spec I know:
Toshiba qosmio x500
Windows 7 professional
Intel I-7
Nvidia video ( not positive on model)
2 hdd

I don't know what's wrong but I need my laptop, I am a college student that is about to enter another semester in less than a week. Can I recover? Is it a driver issue? Hard ware? What?

Solution
Make yourself a bootable CD.
Ubuntu Desktop You can build a bootable CD or USB flash drive with a complete (non-windows) operating system. Power on and use the F12 key to choose the boot device (CD/DVD or USB) and use the Try It option instead of the Install option.

If your laptop runs Ubuntu OK (and it should since you made it to Safe Mode) you know its limited to an issue with your hard drive or Win7 operating system. If Ubuntu won't run it's probably hardware related to the laptop.

If Ubuntu is running, you should be able to use it's file manager to browse your HDDs and even copy off personal files and data for backup purposes.

CameronVeb

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I tried a few more times and finally got it into safe mode. However, it doesn't load my data from the hard drive. I still shows my hard drive capacity the same as it was but all I can access is a program called CTEST and basic windows programs. It's like it never left the warehouse but I know my data is there

Make yourself a bootable CD.
Ubuntu Desktop You can build a bootable CD or USB flash drive with a complete (non-windows) operating system. Power on and use the F12 key to choose the boot device (CD/DVD or USB) and use the Try It option instead of the Install option.

If your laptop runs Ubuntu OK (and it should since you made it to Safe Mode) you know its limited to an issue with your hard drive or Win7 operating system. If Ubuntu won't run it's probably hardware related to the laptop.

If Ubuntu is running, you should be able to use it's file manager to browse your HDDs and even copy off personal files and data for backup purposes.

Solution

CameronVeb

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I made an Ubuntu cd, selected try it, and it doesn't load any documents, images, or files. It only brings up the CTest programs and the NPR-user. What do I do? Is there anything I can do other than attempt a complete restore from a few months back and just deal with losing part of my school portfolio?

CameronVeb

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
When I inspected the ubuntu file manager results it showed the NPR user files and 7Zip. that is all. none of my files. It still showed the same amount of memory being used though.

And for the rescue, I dont have the adapter needed for something like that and not a lot of money to spend.

could it be a software issue instead of a hardware issue? the drive is usable but all of my files arent accessible.

I linked a $15 USB adapter in the post above.
Using Ubuntu as your OS is kinda ruling out a software/OS issue, since you're using a whole different OS than the one that might have caused the problem.

What are 'NPR user files'?

Are you seeing a couple hard drives through the Ubuntu file manager?
One should be the 'hidden partition' of the Toshiba recovery partition.
And the 2nd bigger partition should be the main hard drive storage space.

1homefolder.png

CameronVeb

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
All I know about the NPR user is that it has become the one and only user and on my computer. I can see program(x86) folder that was there before the crash but there is nothing of mine in it. Nothing of mine is visible of accessible.

That sounds like you're looking at the hidden system restore partition and not the main partition of the hard disk.
Did the Ubuntu file manager show more than one hard drive in the Devices section?

That gray circle in the upper left will get you a Dashboard search option. Type in disk and you should see the Disk Utility App. Run that and see what it's saying about your hard disk.
If you have the option view the Smart Data for the hard drive. From there run the short Self Test

Status
Not open for further replies.