Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1K Gaming Rig (First Build Ever)

Last response: in Systems
November 22, 2011 9:18:48 AM

Hi all, this is my first time ever building my own so I appreciate any advice you can offer. I could use advice on choosing the MOBO. Are all the parts I chose compatible and is a 750W PSU enough for them? Keep in mind, I may SLI another 560ti someday.

Approximate Purchase Date: mid-December

Budget Range: $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, photoshop, homework, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: maybe someday

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Here's a link to the parts list on Newegg

MOBO: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler

More about : gaming rig build

November 22, 2011 4:41:55 PM

If I plan to OC, is there a difference between the regular vs. 'superclocked' versions of the 560ti?
m
l
November 24, 2011 5:48:03 PM

Thanksgiving bump
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2011 6:08:54 AM

I have a cooler just like that. Took the fan off it cause all it did was build up dust and the thing STILL keeps the cpu cool enough.

Also you should add a 120GB ssd to that build.
m
l

Best solution

November 25, 2011 7:20:31 AM

Your build looks pretty solid and like already posted you should get the ssd if you can for your o.s.and cache at least.
My suggestion for the mobo is the Asus Maximus IV Gene-z. It comes in the Micro atx form factor and is a feature rich board. it retails for around $169.00 at Newegg or Amazon and even though it is not full atx it has duel pcie 2.0 catering to either sli or crossfire,It is a Z68 chipset which allows you to make use of the graphics built into the 2nd gen intel chips and comes with a software suite for overclocking that makes it suweet.
It has soundblaster on board for quality sound out of the box. I just built mine last week with this board and an i5 2500k processor. I love it. I have the coolermaster storm scout case cause I liked the handles and the red lights. It holds the massive coolermaster V8 cpu cooler and leaves room for an additional fan on my clear side panel. You should definately look up the board though. It has way to many good features for me to list.
December 5, 2011 5:31:33 AM

Best answer selected by NewLogic87.
m
l
December 5, 2011 5:47:34 AM

Thanks for the FYI on the case size. I ended up going with rmiii's over cutebean's case since it had a good amount of USB's on the front, was at a good price on Newegg, and had neat-o red LED's :p 

I also went with rmiii's ASUS MOBO suggestion. I'm glad you mentioned that you overclocked your Z68. For some reason I misunderstood that the Z68 couldn't be overclocked. For me, having the newest technology is preferable. I compared that ASUS MOBO with some Z68 MSI and Gigabyte MOBO's and the ASUS MOBO had (give or take) the most suitable features for me.

I've ordered all the parts listed in the original post (except I replaced the case and MOBO with rmiii's suggestions). Thanks for your help on my first build; I was nervous that I would order some incompatible parts or something.
m
l
December 5, 2011 5:57:04 AM

I am sure you will be happy with the mobo and case. Keep in mind that the case is only lit by two led fans front and back and is not very bright. I added two 12in. cold cath. light sticks to get more illumination but could also buy another 120mm red led fan for the clear side and replace the 140mm on the top with another led fan as it is black from manufacturer.
If you want to check it out I have a red led keyboard (mechanical) on ebay that accents the system really well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220907003263?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

Also check out this for anyone who wants to game and have something to build on
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220904701252?ssPageName=STRK:ME...
m
l
!