Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HTPC First Build

Last response: in Systems
November 22, 2011 12:29:00 PM

Hello,

I want to build an HTPC for my parents as a Christmas Gift. They have an older TV (not flatscreen) they will eventually go to flatscreen when the current TV dies.

The primary things I am looking for is
1. Something easy to use
2. Works as a DVR from cable (lots of storage)
3. Can watch one cable channel and record another.
4. Can watch netflix (needs to be able to use and have support for wireless card)

5. If it can use Windows 7 with Media Center or Linux with Myth TV or another Open Source Linux Distro that will work with a remote, wifi, can watch one channel, record another.

6. Can burn Recorded TV shows to DVD and can Play DVD's

7. Has a remote control that will work with Windows or Linux

8. Supports wired and wireless internet

So I have no idea what hardware, case, etc. I need to do this as I am new to the HTPC. I am also trying to keep the cost down and do not want to overbuy. The current TV does not have any HDMI ports, it has coax and RCA jacks.

More about : htpc build

November 24, 2011 7:39:58 PM

50 views and no replies.... Am I looking for something that doesnt exist or asking the wrong questions ?

I did find this card which looks like it will allow me to watch one channel and record another
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.htm...

I would like to put this into a mini itx type case so I need recommendations on motherboard, case, processor. I want to use a large hard drive as well 1TB or larger.

The mobo, wireless card, and tuner card will need to work with both windows 7 and Linux
m
l

Best solution

a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 25, 2011 3:11:20 AM

Quote:
50 views and no replies.... Am I looking for something that doesnt exist or asking the wrong questions ?

Slow day 'round here - I wouldn't worry too much about it. :lol: 

Quote:

1. Something easy to use
2. Works as a DVR from cable (lots of storage)
3. Can watch one cable channel and record another.
4. Can watch netflix (needs to be able to use and have support for wireless card)

1. As long as you can use Windows 7 you're good.
2. There's a way to do that from Windows 7 but I'm not entirely sure how.
3. Not on an HTPC - most DVRs allow for that function, but the HTPC won't.
4. You need a connection capable of that - preferably cable or DSL, as long as you have that you're good.

Quote:
5. If it can use Windows 7 with Media Center or Linux with Myth TV or another Open Source Linux Distro that will work with a remote, wifi, can watch one channel, record another.

I wouldn't use Linux with an HTPC - your media playback options will be severely limited.

Quote:
6. Can burn Recorded TV shows to DVD and can Play DVD's

Yes, you'll need a blu-ray burner for that feature. I recommend the LG OEM burner that you can get on Newegg for like $70.

Quote:
7. Has a remote control that will work with Windows or Linux

Logitech makes a few that will work with Windows. Again - I'll discourage the use of Linux on HTPCs - your options will be quite limited.

Quote:
8. Supports wired and wireless internet

Not a problem - most motherboards have built in networking or you can use a wireless adapter.

What I did with my HTPC build was I used old hardware that I didn't really have a use for, bought a case, video card, and low power PSU for, and converted it to an HTPC. You might not have that option, but if you're going for a new build - AMD's LLano series of APUs are quite excellent for HTPC use with their built in video cards.
December 5, 2011 11:34:11 AM

Best answer selected by thebouncer2004.
m
l
!