Creative Recon3D vs ASUS Xonar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firzenizer

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I have had Creative XtremeGamer for like 5 years now. And I have been having some serious problems with drivers, software that comes with it and lately I have had some BSOD's.

I have decided to get a new card and the options I am looking at right now are:

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D (76€ in local store)
Asus Xonar DX/XD or better Xonar model (89€ in local store)

I use my computer mainly for gaming, but I do watch a lot of movies and listen to music too.

Most of the time I have my Sennheiser HD555's plugged, but I do use my 2.1 speakers sometimes.

Any help choosing between these two is appreciated.

Solution
Not even close, Xonar wins hand down.

The Recon3D specs took a dive compared to the X-fi lineup:

c110256d_25.jpeg

Though the addition of 192KHz playback was LONG overdue, the loss of SnR (down to 102dB from 109; the DX is rated at 116dB SnR for the stereo outputs), loss of ASIO 2.0 support, and lack of OpenAL HW acceleration make it a no-brainer to avoid the Recon3D line.
Not even close, Xonar wins hand down.

The Recon3D specs took a dive compared to the X-fi lineup:

c110256d_25.jpeg

Though the addition of 192KHz playback was LONG overdue, the loss of SnR (down to 102dB from 109; the DX is rated at 116dB SnR for the stereo outputs), loss of ASIO 2.0 support, and lack of OpenAL HW acceleration make it a no-brainer to avoid the Recon3D line.

Solution

Firzenizer

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Yea I read some reviews and buyer feedback and Recon3D didn't get too good feedback. Well it received good feedback but there was quite a bit of cons too. Like that Scout mode thingy. And after this creative XtremeGamer I am not too confident about Creative.

Firzenizer

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Yea. They stuff I read about scout mode was like it was amplifying your own footstep sounds to a level that you cant hear anything else and insane explosion sounds. I couldn't really find anyone who actually liked the feature or could say anything good about it.

Firzenizer

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I think I am just getting some of the Asus Xonar models. Creative hasn't been doing too well lately. And the current problems I have with xtremegamer are just pushing me towards Asus.

Status
Not open for further replies.