Sign in with
Your question

Asus Z77 Sabertooth & Kingston Hyperx Red Compatibility...

Last response: in Memory
December 29, 2012 4:59:16 PM

Hi there...

Running into a logistical issue here.

I am upgrading my system to the following components:

Asus Z77 Sabertooth
Samsung SSD Pro 256GB
Fractal-Design Define R4 case
Intel i7 3770K CPU
Kingston HyperX Red DDR3 4x8GB (2 16GB kits = 32GB) 1600 CL10 1.5V
Video Card = reusing existing

Please note that this system is not designed for overclocking or gaming but more so for photo/video editing and some VM configurations.

Here is the concern, I have yet to purchase the case and mobo but I'm concerned about the 32GB of RAM and this board as the QVL does not list any memory for 32GB at 1600 nor does it list a configuration of 2x8GB at 1600. The QVL was last updated in May of 2012.

My question(s) to the community:

Should I continue to build my system as is?
Anyone out there with a similar setup?
Should I return said RAM and live with 16GB?

I'm worried about opening the RAM kits as I will be charged a restocking fee if returned.

Thanks
a c 128 } Memory
December 29, 2012 5:39:39 PM

16 gb is plenty; most boards tend to run more stable with just 2 ram slots populated. It's your call. I only use 8 gb on my board, and it runs excellent.
m
l
a c 104 } Memory
December 29, 2012 5:39:57 PM

Some thoughts:

1. I think the sabretooth line is overpriced. Most any Z77 based motherboard will do.

2. You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.
I think your two ram kits will work fine, and I see little risk of failure.

3. Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will not support ram that is not bought in one kit.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.
It might have been better to look for a 32gb kit.
And... you will need windows 7 pro or ultimate to access >16gb.
m
l
Related resources
a c 241 } Memory
December 29, 2012 5:41:10 PM

The ram has the specs that the board calls for! The QVL just gives a small snap shot of what is on the market of compatible ram. Nobody has the time or the resources to test all the compatible hardware that is on the market.
I would continue!
m
l
December 29, 2012 6:37:27 PM

geofelt said:
Some thoughts:

1. I think the sabretooth line is overpriced. Most any Z77 based motherboard will do.

2. You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.
I think your two ram kits will work fine, and I see little risk of failure.

3. Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will not support ram that is not bought in one kit.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.
It might have been better to look for a 32gb kit.
And... you will need windows 7 pro or ultimate to access >16gb.

Thanks for the quick and informative response. I purchased the 2x16GB kits for that purpose as they are identical in packaging and ingedients i.e. timings, sku, voltages etc. It is very difficult to locate a 32GB kit as they tend to get super expensive.

As for the RAM vendor configuration tool, I have yet to locate one on Kingston's website.

The Sabertooth is the only board that I have found that has the highest/positive reviews and without laughing a more detailed QVL. Some other Asus Z77 boards have a limited QVL as do other manufacturers i.e. gigabyte. Besides, it also is the more rounded of the bunch for what it offers vs what I require.

I also chose Asus as I am considered a loyal follower for the last 15 years!
m
l
a c 104 } Memory
December 29, 2012 8:36:01 PM

ELMO_2006 said:
Thanks for the quick and informative response. I purchased the 2x16GB kits for that purpose as they are identical in packaging and ingedients i.e. timings, sku, voltages etc. It is very difficult to locate a 32GB kit as they tend to get super expensive.

As for the RAM vendor configuration tool, I have yet to locate one on Kingston's website.

The Sabertooth is the only board that I have found that has the highest/positive reviews and without laughing a more detailed QVL. Some other Asus Z77 boards have a limited QVL as do other manufacturers i.e. gigabyte. Besides, it also is the more rounded of the bunch for what it offers vs what I require.

I also chose Asus as I am considered a loyal follower for the last 15 years!

You can check the Kingston ram selection app:
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/devices?Device...
It is a moot point since you already have the ram, but if your sticks show up, you can feel a bit better about it.
I really expect no problem.

For what it is worth, I find 33 sets of 32 gb kits of ddr3 1600 ram.
They are priced starting at about $150, which is about 2x the price of a 16gb kit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

ASUS is a good brand, here is one less expensive motherboard. You might use the comparison option to see exactly what you get or don't get with different motherboards.
The guts of all of them is ths same, namely the Z77 chip.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 30, 2012 1:43:05 AM

geofelt said:
You can check the Kingston ram selection app:
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/devices?Device...
It is a moot point since you already have the ram, but if your sticks show up, you can feel a bit better about it.
I really expect no problem.

For what it is worth, I find 33 sets of 32 gb kits of ddr3 1600 ram.
They are priced starting at about $150, which is about 2x the price of a 16gb kit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

ASUS is a good brand, here is one less expensive motherboard. You might use the comparison option to see exactly what you get or don't get with different motherboards.
The guts of all of them is ths same, namely the Z77 chip.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hi geofelt...

Thanks for the response and taking time out to research some alternatives, very much appreciated.

I've given myself until Sunday evening to make the decision and it seems that I am still leaning on the Asus Sabretooth, and I do agree with others here that it is slightly overpriced however it seems that ncix.ca will price match it to 225 as well as the Fractal-Design Define R4 case at 109. Thats a 35 dollar savings. ;) 

Please continue to submit your concern and/or opinions as they are more than welcome here.

I'll keep you all posted with the decision and build, hopefully I will have a built system on News Years Day!!!

:bounce: 
m
l
January 4, 2013 5:42:30 AM

UPDATE...

The build went as expected, the system booted with 32GB of RAM without incident. The only exception was that the RAM has a JEDEC rating of 1333MHZ however setting the X.M.P option in the BIOS fixed that little issue.

Thanks everyone for providing your valuable opinion/recommendations.

m
l
January 4, 2013 12:42:37 PM

That sabertooth mobo, it like tier 1 in z77 chipset, the onlymobo u can get around the same price is asrock oc formula and msi m power, the oc provide best oc, msi is the best all around, probably better the sabertooth, check some owner club forum of how much sabertooth owner change to m power board and really satisfy and a big improvement from the sabertooth

Before u make u final decision, take a look at the mpower board
But then even u choose the sabertooth, it still a very good buy

OR IM POST TO LATE THAT U ALREADY BUY THIS? THAT A LONG WORD

LOOOLOLOOLOOOOOL
m
l
January 4, 2013 1:12:54 PM

Hi Ceee9

Thanks for chiming in however the build is complete as I have indeed went with the sabretooth.

Please note that I did look at the Asrock and MSI but as I have mentioned before I've been with Asus for a very long time and enjoy their products.

Asrock was interesting however at 289.00 that is way out of my league and as for the MSI board, i was concerned about the *BIG BANG* heatsink at the top of the board as the case that I have is very limited and wanted to ensure I had available space for a water cooling solution.

Thanks again for the comments/opinions.

m
l
January 4, 2013 1:58:35 PM

Ok, that was a fast reply, rare.. xDDD
Have fun, Happy new Year~
m
l
!