Weird noise on power-up

ghost_florian

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I recently upgraded my GPU from a 5770 to an evga 560ti 448 cores classified. I had to connect another 6 pin lead to my power supply in order to power the new card.

Now, when I turn on my computer, a fan spins really loudly, then stops spinning, and then everything is normal again. It boots perfectly fine into WIndows, and I have not had any errors whatsoever. I haven't done anything else to the system, and I checked all the connectors to see if they are in place. Is this something to be worried about ?

I checked the wattage draw, and it's way below what my psu can handle.

Full system specs:
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R
Intel Core i5 750
EVGA GTX 560ti 448 cores classified
Hitachi 1TB HDD
OCZ ModXstream pro 500W
Asus Xonar DG
Antec 300

Thanks for your help !

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Doesn't sound all that unusual.

Some PSU's have fans that spin quickly for a few seconds on start up and sometimes shut down too, it just cleans out any dust before the PSU powers up the system and resumes as normal.

If everything is running fine, and your temps look good, i wouldn't worry :)

Are you 100% the noise is coming from your PSU fan and not from the new graphics card or other component?

Have you tried putting your old GPU back in? Does the fan still spin up on start up?

ghost_florian

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I'm pretty sure it comes from the PSU. The fans on the evga cards don't sound like that even on full speed, and they don't stop running. It hasn't happened before, as far as I remember. It's just weird that it started right now.

I haven't put the old gpu back, as it took me over 30 minutes to get out ( all the cable management ), but I don't see any reason for the gpu being the problem...
Temps are OK, and everything works just fine. I'm just worried for the future...