Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Core i5 750 / P55 board (I'ma newbie)

Last response: in CPUs
February 23, 2012 12:43:06 PM

Hey all,

I've been wanting to overclock my Core i5 750, I've read alot of the guides and there is alot of in-depth information out there. The information to be frank, is a bit over my head. I've enable the turbo boost feature which I think takes me up to 3.2ghz. I'm wondering if there’s a guide that could help me push it to 3.7-4.0 range.

I also have some new RAM on the way. From my understanding what’s stable my 4gb of patriot DDR3 1600 may not be stable on my 8gb of corsair DDR3 1600. Is that correct?

Basically what I understand... enter bios.. adjust frequencies and volts a slight bit, test. repeat until unstable. any additional dumbed down information would be helpful.

Core i5 750
EVGA P55 LE
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
CORSAIR 120mm A70 Cual-Fan CPU Cooler
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2012 12:47:48 PM

I will just get the responsible part out of the way first, you have read your Intel Limited WARRANTY right, you know that if you overclock and toast the chip your warranty is void, if you then try claim the warranty knowing it is oc failure not defect then you are committing fraud (just saying).

Is that chip unlocked?
m
l
February 23, 2012 12:57:59 PM

ha yeah, I figured if i fry my chip its my fault and I would have to replace it myself. Here's my CPU, thats not the unlocked one right? Core i5-750k would be the unlocked right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I recently updated downloaded the lastest BIOS and enabled the turbo boost feature which takes it just below 3.2ghz

I've read alot of forums of people having succuss up to 3.7-4.0. my temps now are peaking at about 59C @ the 3.2ghz.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2012 1:09:28 PM

Overclock guide

I haven't overclocked a first gen core i processor so the settings are different, the link should help.
m
l
February 23, 2012 2:42:29 PM

Thanks for the thread, I'll check it out. I just realized i am somewhat of a derp, as i posted this in the component forums and not in the overlocking section. herpderp.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2012 4:56:19 AM

Its cool, there is lots of herpderp around here........JUST DON'T DO IT AGAIN or ye be FUS RO DAH'd
m
l
!