Sign in with
Your question

Stuck in an upgrade problem. Help!

Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2012 6:51:05 PM

Hey guys so my computer was getting really old and I wanted to upgrade it to a core i5 which cannot be done without a motherboard upgrade. My current motherboard is the Field Dell Precision WorkStation 380 with the intel glenwood i955x. I understand this cannot run the i5 processor so I would like to ask
whether i should upgrade to the "Intel DB75EN" or the "Intel DH77EB" and would they better then my current one and be able to fit and everything? Sorry complete noob. I'm also going to be buying memory and a good graphics card. Thanks for the help~

More about : stuck upgrade problem

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
December 29, 2012 7:00:03 PM

I would definately post your questions on the dell forum: http://en.community.dell.com/. You may eventually get a response, but most folks here build their own systems.
m
l
December 29, 2012 7:03:48 PM

Any z68 mobo from Gigabyte, Asus or Asrock would be able to run an i5. But if you're set on an intel mobo then it would be best to ask their forums, yes.
m
l
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
December 29, 2012 7:06:52 PM

The other issue is whether your current dell ram will work on another non dell board, especially is the ram is ecc.
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:06:14 PM

o1die said:
The other issue is whether your current dell ram will work on another non dell board, especially is the ram is ecc.

I am going to upgrade to 4gb ram anyways so I don't think so. :/ 
m
l
!