Sign in with
Your question

MSI P35 Neo-2 FR 4GB ram to 8GB

Last response: in Memory
December 29, 2012 7:08:40 PM

I am trying to take my MSI P35 Neo-2 FR from an existing 4GB DDR2 to 8GB (placed old - new - old - new left to right). The original RAM I had is no longer produced, so I chose the Crucial RAM with the same numbers. The system got to the Win7 spash and went no further. I pulled all the RAM and re seated everything, and the system wouldn't start again. Pull the new RAM and it powers up normally.

I 'm trying to add Crucial CT2CP25664AA1067 240-Pin DIMM DDR2 PC-8500 CL=7Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR2-1066. The old ram is OCZ Blade Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model OCZ2B10664GK

How do I figure out what's wrong?
a b } Memory
December 29, 2012 7:43:19 PM

Being that they are two different brands they have two different specs.

The older OCZ ram has a voltage requirement of 2.1V and the new Crucial ram has a voltage requirement of 1.8V. Their timings are very different too. This probably has a lot to do with it. What happens when you install the Crucial RAM by itself? Might not be compatible RAM with your motherboard.
m
l
December 30, 2012 2:05:04 AM

cball1311 said:
Being that they are two different brands they have two different specs.

The older OCZ ram has a voltage requirement of 2.1V and the new Crucial ram has a voltage requirement of 1.8V. Their timings are very different too. This probably has a lot to do with it. What happens when you install the Crucial RAM by itself? Might not be compatible RAM with your motherboard.

That was my next thing to try; and it works just fine. Since the OCZ ram isn't available any more, I guess I go buy 4gb of the same Crucial ram. Thanks for the help.
m
l
!