Sign in with
Your question

9800gtx+ in physx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 26, 2011 1:16:50 AM

I'm receiving a gtx 560 ti in a couple of days. I was wondering if I could leave my old 9800gtx+ in my system and run it in physx mode in sli with my new 560ti? I'm new to sli configurations and i've heard that only similar cards can run in sli but i've also heard of people using their old gpu for physx purposes.

More about : 9800gtx physx

September 26, 2011 1:22:28 AM

Yes, you can use it for a Physics card. Only when running in true SLI do they have to be the exact same.
m
l
December 22, 2011 11:56:13 AM

Seen on posts from other people across various sites that the 9800gtx+ will actually slow the 560ti down as it waits for the older card to process
m
l
Related resources
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 12:02:47 PM

In my opinion its not worth adding the 9800GTX+ as a Physx card. The 560ti will handle it just fine. The added heat, power and issues are not worth it.
The physx library of games is not that great , so physx will only really matter to you if you playing them.
Here is a list of Physx enabled games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX
m
l
a c 620 U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 5:22:47 PM

You can't do SLI, but you can keep it installed as a dedicated PhysX card. The rule of thumb gain in performance you're likely to see is about 25% over just the single GTX 560 Ti doing all the work.

Of course, you will only see that benefit on those games that feature GPU PhysX, i.e. the Batman: Arkham games, Mafia 2, Metro 2033, Unreal Tournament 3, and a few others. The Batman games alone are worth keeping the card as a dedicated PhysX card.

The first question to ask is, what GPU accelerated PhysX games do you intend to play?
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 6:42:01 PM

monsta said:
In my opinion its not worth adding the 9800GTX+ as a Physx card. The 560ti will handle it just fine. The added heat, power and issues are not worth it.
The physx library of games is not that great , so physx will only really matter to you if you playing them.
Here is a list of Physx enabled games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

Good link, I haven't seen that list before. Most people post a link to the one which use the PhysX game engine, not the one for GPU accelerated PhysX.
m
l
December 22, 2011 7:13:54 PM

i was thinking the same thing. i have an older 8800 GTX i was going to use for PhysX, but i wont even bother anymore... thanks for the wiki link...
m
l
!