Crzywhiteskata

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hey guy s I M building a new co nm p and need some help choosing a psu. It will be running over clocked i5-2500k and probably a6950 2gb. Im looking for some future proofing for crossfire in the future. Im looking at the corsair gs700 gaming which I can get for 90 bucks the corsair tx850m I can get for 97 orthe ocz fatality 750 on newegg for 110. Any help would be awsome.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6950 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two Radeon HD 6950 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 700 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Corsair Gaming Series GS700 (CMPSU-700G), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 56 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is electrically sufficient to power a system with two Radeon HD 6950 in 2-way CrossFireX mode but it is deficient by two PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX850M (CP-9020004), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power a system with two Radeon HD 6950 in 2-way CrossFireX mode.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important along with the required number of PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Crzywhiteskata

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

I heard good things about the V2 series and I know the M series is the one that came out after based on that set. Is 750watt's good enough for a potential overclocked crossfire setup? Also, being able to get 850watts for just 7 dollars more before rebate, would it be worth just going bigger to start. I happen to work at an electronics store and the the normally 140 dollar carsair tx850M drops down to 97 for me.

Compare the total cost, of course.
Either of the 750W PSU will handle the OC'd workload.
But if the TX850M is reasonably close in overall price - it might make sense to send your business... to your business. And the semi-modular style will help keep the inside of your case neater.

They are based on different platforms. The V2 series are made by Seasonic and perform better than the M series made by CWT.

The 750W version has more than enough capacity to handle the overclocking.

Crzywhiteskata

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I like the semi-modular aspect of it, although I would prefer a fully modular. I'm not sure exactly how modular it is, it seems like there are a solid chunk of cables connected to it. I just want to keep my case as neat as possible, but I'm planning on getting a haf 922 so I hopefully should have plenty of space to cram them out of site.

I can also get this Thermaltake - 850-Watt TR2 RX Power Supply - Black for a fairly decent price, about 93 I think. I like that it is fully modular, but I have seen some extremely mixed reviews, more so in the negative direction.

Don't waste your money on that Thermaltake TR2 RX crap. Power supplies made by HEC/COMPUCASE should be avoided.

Crzywhiteskata

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Yah I saw that same review and it scared me away a bit. Do either of you know exactly how much of the M series is modular, I've heard some say its only the optional 2 PCI connectors that you would need for a crossfire set-up but everything else is non-modular.

Not that much.
A couple PCI-e power connectors for anyone not using a 2nd video card and some extra SATA power connector, and maybe a molex as well.
With a HAF 922 you're not going to have a problem. It's the very small cases where a fully modular PSU can make a really big difference.

Corsair TX750M Modular Cables
1x 4+4 pin EPS12V/ATX12V connector (600mm)
2x 6+2 pin PCIe (600mm)
2x 4-pin Molex peripheral to 4-pin Berg (3.5" FDD) adapter (+100mm)
1x SATA with 4 connectors (400mm+150mm+150mm+150mm)

Corsair PSU cables are longer than for most other brands.