Sign in with
Your question

New build w/ SSD. Anything special to do with SSD for loading Win 7?

Last response: in Systems
November 22, 2011 6:13:05 PM

Hi. Will be building my Asus Z68 LX MB, Intel i5 2500k, and Kingston HyperX SSD tomorrow night. Just wondering, when I go to fire this up for the first time, I want to have the proper drivers for the SSD loaded (if needed) so things are set up correctly from the start. Is there anything special I need to do to load a driver during the initial load of the Win 7 DVD? I believe I want to setup as AHCI and just install as normal? There's also a firmware update, which I'm guessing is not on the drive now, that I'll want to do. Kingston's website doesn't say it will wipe out any data, so I'm guessing I can update the firmware after the Win 7 install. I think the OCZ's wipe out the drive when they do the firmware updates. Any other advice, bios settings I should set from the start??
November 22, 2011 6:48:40 PM

Nope you dont really need to do anything special. One thing you can do before installing on it is plug it in another computer and update the firmware...im not sure about kingston but OCZ doesnt let you flash a new firmware if your running windows on your ssd...you have to plug it in another computer as a secondary drive to do that.

I would just set bios to AHCI and let windows 7 tweak the o/s for your ssd. You shouldnt have to do anything outside of that really.
m
l
November 24, 2011 4:52:08 PM

I'm assuming I do not want to enable write caching on the drive as it will be used as the primary OS drive.
m
l
November 24, 2011 7:28:29 PM

Nope you dont need it since you wont get any performance gain from it with an ssd.
m
l
!