i7 3960x

DX79SI

Intel 520 Series SDD 240gb

EVGA gtx 580

Corsair 16gig(8x2) ddr3 1600 1.5v

LG HD-DVD/BluRay

1100 Watt Tagan BZ Series PSU

Win7 Ult 64bit

Have updated all drivers/bios. I was getting Driver PCI returned invalid ID for a child device (FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF00) in event logs when windows would Hang. Basically anything video intense causes Window to lock I am forced to hard restart. I will start up a game from steam for the first time pretty much guarantee I will lock up within 20 seconds. Second time I load up the game I can play around 2-3min then lock up. Load it up again and I can play 10-15 min then Lock. I have USB 3.0 disabled in BIOS which fixed my child device problem but now the computer just locks up and I look in the event logs and no errors around the time of the lock up. I have minidumps enabled and I am not seeing any minidumps being made. Just installed windows last night so pretty clean system. Running the lastest nvidia drivers. any suggestion would help! I am totally stumped on where to go. Also checked all my Temps everything looks good. Ran memtest86+ for 4 hrs

Just wanted to post an update on my status. Tried a different set of ram. Tried the first 4 dims on the MB. Tried an older ATI 4780. Computer still crashing under load. Thinking could possibly be a faulty PSU not sure. Temps on CPU and GPU still good. tried a different PCIe slot on my mb as well. any suggestion would be loved. picking up a different PSU tomorrow to test that if that doesn't fix it I am assuming the MB is bad.

Tried the new PSU got the same crashes I got before. Also tried a different SSD got the same crashes as before. Only two parts left MB and CPU. Guessing my MB is bad. I tested the CPU for 1 hout at 100% no failure so really doubt it could be the CPU. I got even so desperate to unplug my optical drive to see if that would fix my problem... it didn't :cry: 

being working on this issue for a few days about to RMA my board any suggestions and help would be awesome. :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
a c 1033 V Motherboard
December 29, 2012 10:49:18 PM

I would guess motherboard! PSU fault would most likely have shut the system down.
December 30, 2012 6:15:46 AM

small update I was able to play sin of a solar empire rebellion for about 4hr with out a crash. Doesn't seem to be taxing enough on the system to cause the error to occur. Played Chivalry medieval war for 3 min then crashed. can play dota 2 for about 45 min then crash. weirdest symptom I have ever seen.
Related resources
December 30, 2012 5:54:40 PM

It is interesting that I can play battle field 3 for over an hour but haven't crashed yet and bf3 is a pretty taxing game.
December 31, 2012 5:45:06 PM

any suggestions?
a c 1033 V Motherboard
December 31, 2012 5:50:00 PM

All game patches installed and latest drivers for the card?
December 31, 2012 10:10:46 PM

yup
a c 1033 V Motherboard
December 31, 2012 11:35:18 PM

Memtest run on the ram?
January 10, 2013 3:48:19 PM

Memtested my memory and tested different sticks of memory. Issue still returns even after I RMA'd the first board. So far Bios 494 or 460 seem to be the most stable. I tried swapping out different video cards(ATI and Nivida) still the same freezes. at this point I am ready to call my dx79si and a pile of crap haha. I thought clocking down my memory to 1333 helped with stability but I think that was the same time I installed the old bios so I am not a 100% sure about that. Going to have another chat with intel support soon I feel like.
!