Sign in with
Your question

New Graphics Cards create fuzzy lines whenever gpu does something

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 26, 2011 3:59:56 AM

So I ordered an EVGA 560 ti SC and when I plugged it in got everything working downloaded drivers, I played CoD4 and all of a sudden these fuzzy lines started appearing like an analog television. It would run for about 5 minutes and then turn off my computer. I went through EVGA customer support and in the end it seems to be a defective card. Borrowing my friend's 460 for the week the problem returns while my 9800gt(the card before I upgraded to the 560ti) doesn't have any. I'm thinking it might be my CPU bottlenecking but I don't know if it would be so severe as to shutting off my whole computer.

My specs are:

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs) Cooled with a Hypermaster 212+

Memory:
3070MB RAM

Hard Drive:
750 GB

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Monitor:
LG Flatron

Sound Card:
Realtek HD Audio output

Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate

Motherboard:
ASUS P5N-D

Computer Case:
NZXT M59
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 7:52:39 AM

Why do you have 3070MB of RAM? what sort of Sticks have been used? I mean RAM config.
You have 4 slots for RAMs you can have 2GB, 4GB,8GB etc etc.
Why the Odd 3GB.
My suggestion, remove one stick of RAM that's in a slot it's not supposed to be in, and then test the cards.
Sometimes Hardware is very finicky about the social circles it is placed in :) 
And sometimes it just blindly superstitious.:) 

m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2011 11:32:06 PM

alyoshka said:
Why do you have 3070MB of RAM? what sort of Sticks have been used? I mean RAM config.
You have 4 slots for RAMs you can have 2GB, 4GB,8GB etc etc.
Why the Odd 3GB.
My suggestion, remove one stick of RAM that's in a slot it's not supposed to be in, and then test the cards.
Sometimes Hardware is very finicky about the social circles it is placed in :) 
And sometimes it just blindly superstitious.:) 

I'm running 3 1GB sticks of 800mhz DDR2. I used to run Windows XP before I ran 7 and I haven't bought extra RAM yet. I realized that my RAM sticks were in the 2,3,4 slots and now they're in the 1,2, and 3 slots.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2011 3:57:52 AM

Read the Mobo manual, Memory Section, remove the RAM that is not supposed to be there.
But before doing this, start with 1 stick of RAM in the slot 1 and see if the system gets fuzzy or any other stuff, then, shutdown, try the other RAM stick in the same slot and continue for all three sticks of RAM that you have. That will help you find the defective RAM stick.
Shelf it, and use the other 2 working sticks in the right ram slots as mentioned in a 2 X 1GB configuration for that board.
m
l
November 15, 2011 3:33:21 AM

Sorry for being so long, a lot of school work in the last month.

I bought 4gb of ram, replaced the old ones and ran CoD4. It runs perfectly fine, though the fuzzy lines still appear.

Running skyrim though, the computer shut off a good two minutes after the beginning without the new ram. After placing the new ram in, it ran for about another five minutes extra before it too shut off.

I was starting to think this was a power supply problem so I started a gpu stress tester and watched the voltages on the mobo.

The 12v rating dipped at a lowest of 11.70 and the stayed relatively around high 11's and low 12's. Eventually the stress test shut off my computer as well, around the same time as when I played Skyrim.

Also note that all temperatures were stable and fine.
m
l
!